• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trumbo & Arizona

SoWhat

Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers is interested in acquiring a "prototypical, corner bat" in the coming offseason, Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic recently reported. Towers says he is looking for a third baseman or corner outfielder to provide pop in the middle of the lineup alongside young star Paul Goldschmidt.

There is one other obvious possibility: Mark Trumbo of the Angels. He is young, capable of playing all of the corner spots defensively, unquestionably powerful, and entering his first year of arbitration eligibility. Sure, he comes with questionable defense and concerning strikeout totals, but he has averaged over thirty bombs over the last three years. While Trumbo could likely be had for the right price, the last thing the Angels really need is a young center fielder. As with Seager and Donaldson, if Towers wants to pick up a player like Trumbo, he is going to have to part with some of his club's good, young pitching.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/09/diamondbacks-to-pursue-power-bat.html#disqus_thread

Their top arm is Archie Bradley. http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=bradle000arc&mobile=false

I wonder what Dipoto thinks of David Holmberg and Andrew Chafin.  I'd even be curious to see how such a dynamic would work in this trade.  I know that Dipoto has a good relationship and a ton of trust in Servais and his minor league talent evaluators, but being from the D-Backs organization I wonder if Dipoto would have a better idea on who these prospects are and make the deal himself. 

I don't think Bradley for Trumbo is an unreasonable demand.  Trumbo, for all his faults, will hit 35+ homeruns this year and drive in 100+, while playing in a pitcher's park.  He could easily hit 40 in Arizona.  Bradley is a stud prospect, but he has done nothing at the big league level and has terrible walk rates (not unlike another high profile Arizona arm who fizzled out - Bauer).

Skaggs for Trumbo isn't enough, IMO.  Skaggs has taken a step back this year, and who knows if he will ever be a mid-rotation arm. 

One problem with Trumbo.

As he looks to bolster his squad's power output, Towers will be hindered by payroll. Arizona's 2014 ledger already shows just $7.18MM less than its 2013 opening day tally of $86.30MM. 

What did catch me as intriguing that they might trade away.  

The team has one other top-100 prospect it could dangle: third baseman Matt Davidson, who checks in at 67th on the latest ranking of MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo.

Of course he isn't doing well at the MLB level, although it's very early, and he's only 22.  His minor league numbers were in the low .800 area.  Would the Dbacks let him plus a young arm, not necessarily a starter but a starter would be a plus, go for Callhoun?

when else have they been fleeced?   I just think they overpaid for upton thinking he was going to be a superstar, when he is really an average player.   He's had two great seasons out of six, and he doesn't seem to be a great teammate and injury prone.

hhe's the NL's mark trumbo IMO

You should see what the Braves gave up for Teixeria.