• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Shortstop Tommy Field Breaking Out

ettin

http://gradingonthecurve.com/2013/09/09/angels-shortstop-tommy-field-breaking/

Well Jason Mast just stole my thunder as I was working on a "Case for Tommy Field" article for AW.com. However Jason pretty much summarizes my feelings that Field could be a reasonable replacement for Aybar if we chose to trade him.

One thing I would point out is that Mast talks about Field's poor 2012 which I think was definitely BABIP driven as Field posted a pretty low number which I'm sure helped to depress his slash line.

Ringolsby, in early 2011, was the one who called Field the best defensive infielder in his Rockies prospect report and later in December Sickel's called Field "a scrapper who shouldn't be underestimated."

The point being is that I think we have a serviceable replacement for Erick if we were to trade him this off season. I've always like Aybar but Field has a Minor league career .364 OBP and what he may lack in overall speed or contact ability he makes up for in being able to get on base.

Finally, throughout Field's Minor league career, he has hit pretty well from both sides of the plate which is a bonus. He probably won't hit for high average but he has some pop that could translate into low double digit HR's.

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.  Through my untrained eyes, Tommy Field looks completely overmatched, and I have a hard time imagining him ever playing in the bigs long term. What am I missing?

You're not missing anything....the Rockies and Twins released him before we picked him up....and brought him to Jerry's home for ex Rockies and Dbacks....

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.  Through my untrained eyes, Tommy Field looks completely overmatched, and I have a hard time imagining him ever playing in the bigs long term. What am I missing?

My thoughts exactly. People need stuff to write about I guess. 

"Breaking out"? As in acne? In that case, I would recommend Clearasil.

They certainly can't be talking about his offense, which features a .509 career OPS.

Yes 75 plate appearances split across three Major League seasons will usually limit what you can show at the Major League level.

Edited by ettin

I doubt Tommy Field will be in the major league next year.

That's quite possible Rageous, as Aybar could easily still be here (and that would be my preferred choice). I'm just saying that we have a player here who has NOT been given real consistent playing time at the Major League level and who has an above average reputation defensively combined with a reasonably solid career .788 OPS in the Minors. For a shortstop that isn't bad and he could be a stop gap to one of our developing prospects on the farm.

It is simply an option which is all that I am really saying if we found a good trade package for Aybar.

You're not missing anything....the Rockies and Twins released him before we picked him up....and brought him to Jerry's home for ex Rockies and Dbacks....

The Rockies released him because at that time in November 2012, they had some players coming off of the 60-day DL and really didn't have a position (SS) open for him (who is really going to replace Tulowitski?). The Twins jumped on him (and Josh Roenicke, son of Ron Roenicke) and then tried to sneak him through waivers to provide depth at AAA and that is when the Angels grabbed him.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that waiver claim as we are trying to do the same thing other teams are, which is building depth. I'd certainly rather have Tommy Field as a potential backup/regular in addition to all defensive glove Romine than not have anyone ready at all if Aybar got hurt.

Yes 75 plate appearances split across three Major League seasons will usually limit what you can show at the Major League level.

but use your eyes - it's not just his results.  His ABs are borderline embarrassing.  He looks like a little leaguer up there, and not just because of his size.  He's simply overmatched.

I wouldn't mind Field if the Angels didn't have other holes to fill... but all things considered, I'm not sold on him just yet.

Well the important thing is that it didn't cost us anything to get him. I agree he still has to prove himself at the Major League level but he certainly has not had any consistent playing time to do that yet. Looking at his Minor League numbers shows that he could potentially provide some value at the Major league level whether it is in a regular position, platoon, or even a utility role.

but use your eyes - it's not just his results.  His ABs are borderline embarrassing.  He looks like a little leaguer up there, and not just because of his size.  He's simply overmatched.

Ever player who comes up is not Mike Trout, impacting the game immediately. Everyone has to start somewhere and build up their skills and confidence. I'm not saying he hasn't done poorly in his 21 PA's with the Angels big league club but you are writing him off before he ever really gets a chance to show whether he has it or not.

You might be right Wally but you could easily be wrong as well. Until he gets consistent playing time in the Majors I wouldn't write him off. This is true of any player coming up in their first year (or even two or three or four years....).