• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brawl in Canada-Mexico game.

The whole idea of "bush league" is kind of silly to begin with, but it's a tournament where run differential is a big deal, so getting upset over that bunt was stupid.

With run differential meaning so much I can see why they were still trying to score runs.

You would think Canada would be better at fighting than Mexico. Think about it, kids in Mexico grow up on soccer where flopping and faking an injury is taught at a young age where as Canadians play hockey which teaches the art of boxing.

Name 3 Boxing champs in any weight class from both countries.

Case closed.

(insert smilie face indicating "I'm having fun, don't take it too seriously" here)

Wow.  Was out all day yesterday, and didn't see the entire fight till today.  Few things come to mind.

This is why the US won't win the WBC.  All other nations fans and teams don't see this as an exhibition, like it seems the US seems to.  Look at the quotes on this forum after the US lost against Mexico.

Who was the guy from Canada throwing the haymakers?  I wonder if he was from Canada, and grew up playing hockey.  Because that was like watching a NHL player fight a baseball player.  

Throwing things from the stands.  Not the smartest thing to do.  And I agree with Canada saying they are pulling off the field if one more things gets thrown at them.  

It's set up so that when USA loses, they can say "Who cares? We didn't even send our best players." It wasn't set that way on purpose, but it's what it ended up being.

I've been saying that since before the tournament started. Just to be safe.

No more than a good player being hurt in a MLB regular season game would mean the beginning of the end of MLB.

I don't agree. The WBC is a recent invention, it is short term and baseball would survive just fine without it. It disrupts spring training, and a lot of MLB GMs would like to see it go away. Besides, many of the European teams are just made up of American players with the right ethnic surnames. That would be like me playing for Ireland, even though I have never been there, much less lived there.

I believe that was Michael Saunders throwing the hay-makers there...  You can see the hockey-influence, as he grabs some jersey with his non-throwing hand.  WBC needs to change its rules, or they're gonna see more of this.  Even with their crappy rules, if a guy bunted with his team up 9-3, I'd expect my pitcher to retaliate as well... The "Baseball Code" demanded both teams to play exactly as they did.

I love the WBC; sorry to say it to you haters, but it's here to stay.  The American public may not give a damn, but our players do.  It's their only chance to wear "USA" now.  

BOOM!  4-3 USA!

It's a major deal for the other countries; Canada calls their win over us a last time "Miracle on dirt."  It will grow with or without us.  I think haters just don't like our team getting out-classed in the first couple of Classics.

I don't agree. The WBC is a recent invention, it is short term and baseball would survive just fine without it. It disrupts spring training, and a lot of MLB GMs would like to see it go away. Besides, many of the European teams are just made up of American players with the right ethnic surnames. That would be like me playing for Ireland, even though I have never been there, much less lived there.

I wasn't arguing which is the more valuable commodity right now. Of course, it's the billion dollar business of Major League Baseball. I'm just stating that an injury is not going to set either of them back. However, I will address your points:

You think it "disrupts" Spring Training, but I think it enhances it. I'll agree to disagree with those saying that an individual's primary concern should always be their MLB franchise. If a player wants to come out to represent their country, I think they should. Furthermore, I think all players should want to, but that's my humble opinion.

I've never heard a GM state they want the tournament to go away, but I certainly believe some of them probably have. The Angels organization seems to be one that discourages their players from participating in things like this. I heard Pujols really wanted to play for the DR, but I understand why he didn't or couldn't. However, I really think Trout, Hamilton, Frieri, and Weaver would make their teams better and I see no major reasons why they couldn't have participated. That's a shame.

I do agree that the qualifications to play for a roster are a bit silly, but the whole point is to improve on the global footprint of the game and I think that is being somewhat accomplished. The Olympics and World Cup "suffer" from strange qualifications to play for a country, and those are two of the most popular events in the world. Also, there are a few sports being reviewed for reinstatement into the Olympics, including baseball/softball (one application) and wrestling. Only one sport will be chosen. I am a huge baseball fan, but I don't see how wrestling can be left out of the Olympics. If baseball is not reinstated, and I believe it won't be, then the World Baseball Classic is left as the premier international baseball competition. I think this further solidifies the competition as here to stay.

You think it "disrupts" Spring Training, but I think it enhances it. I'll agree to disagree with those saying that an individual's primary concern should always be their MLB franchise. If a player wants to come out to represent their country, I think they should. Furthermore, I think all players should want to, but that's my humble opinion.

I've never heard a GM state they want the tournament to go away, but I certainly believe some of them probably have. The Angels organization seems to be one that discourages their players from participating in things like this. I heard Pujols really wanted to play for the DR, but I understand why he didn't or couldn't. However, I really think Trout, Hamilton, Frieri, and Weaver would make their teams better and I see no major reasons why they couldn't have participated. That's a shame.

I will give you the global footprint argument - to a point. I have to wonder how much attention is being played to this series in countries like Italy and the Netherlands, knowing that these aren't their countrymen who are representing them in a sport most of them don't understand. I would be interested to see the television viewer numbers from places like that, as well as the coverage on the sports pages. South and Central America and the Caribbean are a different story, since baseball is a passion in places like that.

I don't see how the WBC enhances spring training. Players are spending time away from their teammates and coaching staffs. I can almost guarantee that GMs hate it, given that it is just another opportunity for a player to suffer an injury doing something other than preparing for the season with his teammates. They would never publicly say so, of course, because the leadership at MLB is behind it. I'm not saying that it has no worth at all, just wondering the effect is has on spring training. I doubt that many managers or GMs would privately say that it is good for their individual teams, which should be their primary focus - and the players'.