• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brawl in Canada-Mexico game.

I will give you the global footprint argument - to a point. I have to wonder how much attention is being played to this series in countries like Italy and the Netherlands, knowing that these aren't their countrymen who are representing them in a sport most of them don't understand. I would be interested to see the television viewer numbers from places like that, as well as the coverage on the sports pages. South and Central America and the Caribbean are a different story, since baseball is a passion in places like that.

I don't see how the WBC enhances spring training. Players are spending time away from their teammates and coaching staffs. I can almost guarantee that GMs hate it, given that it is just another opportunity for a player to suffer an injury doing something other than preparing for the season with his teammates. They would never publicly say so, of course, because the leadership at MLB is behind it. I'm not saying that it has no worth at all, just wondering the effect is has on spring training. I doubt that many managers or GMs would privately say that it is good for their individual teams, which should be their primary focus - and the players'.

I really want to see an analysis of how international baseball competition involving the "best players" has impacted different parts of the world. If something is out there, my 2 minutes of google-fu hasn't found it. 

I should clarify what I meant about the WBC enhancing Spring Training. It enhances it for the fans. However, I don't think it really impacts spring training too seriously because ultimately players who participate are still getting their work in. They're still preparing for their season, just not with their MLB team. Also, the spring schedule is extended to somewhat mitigate any time players spend away. For example, I am absolutely not concerned about Erick Aybar being away with the Dominican team. If anything, for someone like him, I think it's good for him to get some heated competition in before the regular season begins. 

I don't agree. The WBC is a recent invention, it is short term and baseball would survive just fine without it. It disrupts spring training, and a lot of MLB GMs would like to see it go away. Besides, many of the European teams are just made up of American players with the right ethnic surnames. That would be like me playing for Ireland, even though I have never been there, much less lived there.

OMG, don't disrupt spring training with games people are trying to win!

This is interfering with how many players are available for my team to pull out of meaningless exibitions after 5 innings! Oh noes.

I don't agree. The WBC is a recent invention, it is short term and baseball would survive just fine without it. It disrupts spring training, and a lot of MLB GMs would like to see it go away. Besides, many of the European teams are just made up of American players with the right ethnic surnames. That would be like me playing for Ireland, even though I have never been there, much less lived there.

IMO, I think the WBC is a very long term view of what they want baseball to be.  It's out on the Olympics.  And may never come back.  This is a missed opportunity for them, and a marketing bonanza for MLB.  IMO, their long term goal is to create something similar to Soccers World Cup.  Doesn't hurt MLS or the European leagues at all, and might just enhance them.  

The brawl for the WBC might have helped popularity also.  Because it sparks national passion.  While it's a small spark now, I'm sure MLB hopes that small spark grows to a large fire.  Case in point, no suspensions from the brawl.  

Italy making the second round also helps.  Because it might bring some interest from Europe.  How about Netherlands beating highly ranked Cuba, twice to advance to the championship round?  

Again, it is minor right now.  To Americans, more like an exhibition.  You tell the Japanese or Koreans that it's an exhibitiion, and they will probably punch you.  Same with the Carribbean teams.  This is about national pride for them.  And that can only help the popularity of baseball and the MLB.

Again, IMO, but the next step for the MLB, is to have the WBC, and also have at the same time the WWBC or WSC.  Because improving the image of softball can only help baseball. 

I will give you the global footprint argument - to a point. I have to wonder how much attention is being played to this series in countries like Italy and the Netherlands, knowing that these aren't their countrymen who are representing them in a sport most of them don't understand. I would be interested to see the television viewer numbers from places like that, as well as the coverage on the sports pages. South and Central America and the Caribbean are a different story, since baseball is a passion in places like that.

I don't see how the WBC enhances spring training. Players are spending time away from their teammates and coaching staffs. I can almost guarantee that GMs hate it, given that it is just another opportunity for a player to suffer an injury doing something other than preparing for the season with his teammates. They would never publicly say so, of course, because the leadership at MLB is behind it. I'm not saying that it has no worth at all, just wondering the effect is has on spring training. I doubt that many managers or GMs would privately say that it is good for their individual teams, which should be their primary focus - and the players'.

I will grant you Italy. 75% of their roster consists of Italian-Americans. I think you have to be two generations removed to qualify (your grandparents had to be born in the Old Country), but since most of the Netherlands roster consists of players from places that do have a bit of baseball history (Curacao and other parts of the Netherlands Antilles), they may not be watching in the Netherlands, but all 5 TVs in Curacao will be tuned to this.

Having watched most of the games on TV, it seems like the main issue that GMs have is the timing. There are some that would want the WBC played over an extended All-Star Break, but I'm not sure that would be any better. There would be the same chance for freak injuries, which would be more devastating to teams in the pennant race. At least, if most injuries happen now, that player would still be able to play most of the year.

Having watched most of the games on TV, it seems like the main issue that GMs have is the timing. There are some that would want the WBC played over an extended All-Star Break, but I'm not sure that would be any better. There would be the same chance for freak injuries, which would be more devastating to teams in the pennant race. At least, if most injuries happen now, that player would still be able to play most of the year.

Problem with having it over the All Star Break is it severely inconveniences the Asian countries.  They also have leagues at that time, and you would have to have them stop their leagues at the same time.  And also then have their players fly in from Asia to the US, or have the players in the US fly out to Asia.  

Right after the season is out also.  You have the big Carribbean tourney.  Which is odd, because GM's have no problem sending players out there, where playing conditions are much worse.

I think this is the only time you can have the WBC.  Unless of course you cut the regular season down to 81 games, which is about as likely as a Chinese pig swimming and flying.