• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Considerations for trading Trumbo

Bourjos' value was already down in the offseason.  Had he stayed healthy this season his value would've been through the roof. Hitting .280/.330 with gold glove defense would be a normal season for him, if he stays healthy.  

As it stands, I wouldn't be disappointed at all if we entered 2014 with him starting in CF, Trout in LF, Calhoun in RF/1B, Hamilton at DH/RF and Pujols at 1B/DH.   

Bourjos' value was already down in the offseason.  Had he stayed healthy this season his value would've been through the roof. Hitting .280/.330 with gold glove defense would be a normal season for him, if he stays healthy.  

As it stands, I wouldn't be disappointed at all if we entered 2014 with him starting in CF, Trout in LF, Calhoun in RF/1B, Hamilton at DH/RF and Pujols at 1B/DH.   

That's what my choice would be. That said, I don't necessarily see Bourjos on the Angels long-term. If Cron, Grichuk or even Borenstein hit well then Bourjos can be traded after next year and Calhoun inserted in LF, with Trout back in CF.

In conclusion, I think Calhoun is a slightly more valuable player given the climate of the Angels and his skill set. Not only does he contribute in more aspects, the idea that Trumbo's DH and backup corner OF limits his value on a team that has Pujols and Hamilton, both of whom will need considerable time at DH. 

You can bet that other GMs are aware of this too, making them less likely to offer anyone of significant value for Trumbo.

Yes and no VHF.  The type of team that's willing to trade for Trumbo would be the type of team that's in contention now.  Those types of teams would generally be more willing to take the guaranteed production of Trumbo vs what some believe Calhoun would do.  Trumbo would likely be seen as a 1B only whereas Calhoun is more likely to be viewed as a RF that can play 1B in a pinch. 

There's also what the other team's strengths are.  The Angels have more power than most teams but they're also terrible at reaching base.  the type of team that wants Trumbo would probably be the sort of team that has enough manufacture type of players but needs more "thump".  

You have to throw out OBP and OPS when it comes to Trumbo.  His only job is to hit bombs and drive in runs.  The only thing that counts when it comes to Trumbo is 'run production', and for a guy who has a sub.300 OBP, he's been well above average at driving in and scoring runs.

Only 100 players have at least 500 plate appearances this year and he ranks near the bottom at 95th in OBP, and yet he's tied for 36th in runs scored and 14th in RBI.  That's more runs scored than over 60 guys that have a higher OBP in at least 500 plate appearances.  He's even scored more runs than players that have an OBP 100 points higher than him.

This is not about evaluating talent (YoT), it's about evaluating RUN PRODUCTION, and with the exception of July, he's been pretty consistent all year at producing runs.  If he's to be traded, it shouldn't be for anything less than a #1 or #2 major league ready starter.

So, we should throw out the two most important factors when it comes to run production, because Trumbo hits HRs....

We missed you Mr. Hatcher.

So, we should throw out the two most important factors when it comes to run production, because Trumbo hits HRs....

We missed you Mr. Hatcher.

I agree with everyone else's take, trumbo hasn't progressed as much as he should have in the patience department.

Just playing conspiracy theorist here. YOT mentioned something a few days ago, abour home runs and rbi being two key stats when it comes to arbitration cases. Maybe its given him a mind set to focus on run producing? Maybe even some within the team have told him to focus on it?

Nothing at all to back that up. Just playing devils advocate.

I agree with everyone else's take, trumbo hasn't progressed as much as he should have in the patience department.

Just playing conspiracy theorist here. YOT mentioned something a few days ago, abour home runs and rbi being two key stats when it comes to arbitration cases. Maybe its given him a mind set to focus on run producing? Maybe even some within the team have told him to focus on it?

Nothing at all to back that up. Just playing devils advocate.

I think it more likely that the organization told him that because they believed that is how more runs are scored, not because it is better for arb. Trumbo has been the same hitter since day one. It's not like he changed his approach to increase his arb. number this year.

Also, with Grichuk hopefully here to stay in 2015, he will eventually be supplying the righty power hitting that we would lose by trading Trumbo.

That would also introduce a tough decision on which two (from Bourjos, Calhoun, and Grichuk) to start alongside Trout in the OF.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Yes and no VHF.  The type of team that's willing to trade for Trumbo would be the type of team that's in contention now.  Those types of teams would generally be more willing to take the guaranteed production of Trumbo vs what some believe Calhoun would do.  Trumbo would likely be seen as a 1B only whereas Calhoun is more likely to be viewed as a RF that can play 1B in a pinch.

But a team in contention is also less likely to trade anyone of significance, lest they take themselves out of contention. We might get a couple of Class A-AA arms for Trumbo, but that is about it. I don't see us getting anyone who is certain to contribute, or anything close to it.