• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Off season bullpen targets

Docwaukee

Depends on what role we're looking for.  If we're looking for a bullpen savior, spend the money and bring in Mujica. If we're talking about complimentary LHP because of a lack of confidence in Maronde, Sisk and Taylor or in burnett's ability to stay healthy, Javier Lopez is the way to go. If we're talking about building depth and giving the Angels more options, you go with guys that couldn't cut it as starters like Dontrelle Willis and Tim Stauffer and just seeing if anything develops in Spring Training. 

I think that the Angels are fine in terms of depth.  Relievers like Morin and Alvarez can really come in and make a difference in the future, but should obviously be started off in low leverage situations.  I don't know if Burnett is someone you can trust being healthy a full year though, which leaves the bullpen exposed in high leverage situations with LHB's at the plate.  So signing Javier Lopez seems like a really good way to go. 

As far as bullpen savior, I wouldn't spend the money.  If DDLR, Frieri, Burnett, Lopez, Morin, Rasumus, Kohn, Alvarez etc. can't protect an 8th and 9th inning lead, there's a lot more wrong than we think.  I would definitely take a chance on someone like Willis and Stauffer in AAA just in case you catch lightning in a bottle but other than that + Lopez, I'd stay awayfrom RP free agents. 

Depends on what role we're looking for.  If we're looking for a bullpen savior, spend the money and bring in Mujica. If we're talking about complimentary LHP because of a lack of confidence in Maronde, Sisk and Taylor or in burnett's ability to stay healthy, Javier Lopez is the way to go. If we're talking about building depth and giving the Angels more options, you go with guys that couldn't cut it as starters like Dontrelle Willis and Tim Stauffer and just seeing if anything develops in Spring Training. 

I think that the Angels are fine in terms of depth.  Relievers like Morin and Alvarez can really come in and make a difference in the future, but should obviously be started off in low leverage situations.  I don't know if Burnett is someone you can trust being healthy a full year though, which leaves the bullpen exposed in high leverage situations with LHB's at the plate.  So signing Javier Lopez seems like a really good way to go. 

As far as bullpen savior, I wouldn't spend the money.  If DDLR, Frieri, Burnett, Lopez, Morin, Rasumus, Kohn, Alvarez etc. can't protect an 8th and 9th inning lead, there's a lot more wrong than we think.  I would definitely take a chance on someone like Willis and Stauffer in AAA just in case you catch lightning in a bottle but other than that + Lopez, I'd stay awayfrom RP free agents. 

I am not sure what you mean by this.  We've had guys that have been pretty poor at not only protecting leads, but also protecting small deficits.  In fact, it's been one of the major issues and was probably the biggest reason this team missed the playoffs in 2012. 

I agree on not spending a ton of money on the pen, but when you don't have really anyone that can be considered a true lock down reliever, they may need to bite the bullet. 

Crain may be the best pitcher available outside of Mujica, but given his current injury status I hesitate to say I want the Angels to go after him. That said, he could also come fairly cheap on a one year deal so if Dipoto wants to take another gamble then I guess I'd be ok with it. We just can't hope to rely on him as the anchor for the pen like we did with Madson this year.

Depends on what role we're looking for. If we're looking for a bullpen savior, spend the money and bring in Mujica. If we're talking about complimentary LHP because of a lack of confidence in Maronde, Sisk and Taylor or in burnett's ability to stay healthy, Javier Lopez is the way to go. If we're talking about building depth and giving the Angels more options, you go with guys that couldn't cut it as starters like Dontrelle Willis and Tim Stauffer and just seeing if anything develops in Spring Training.

I think that the Angels are fine in terms of depth. Relievers like Morin and Alvarez can really come in and make a difference in the future, but should obviously be started off in low leverage situations. I don't know if Burnett is someone you can trust being healthy a full year though, which leaves the bullpen exposed in high leverage situations with LHB's at the plate. So signing Javier Lopez seems like a really good way to go.

As far as bullpen savior, I wouldn't spend the money. If DDLR, Frieri, Burnett, Lopez, Morin, Rasumus, Kohn, Alvarez etc. can't protect an 8th and 9th inning lead, there's a lot more wrong than we think. I would definitely take a chance on someone like Willis and Stauffer in AAA just in case you catch lightning in a bottle but other than that + Lopez, I'd stay awayfrom RP free agents.

Yep you should be GM Dontrelle Willis for our bullpen. My goodness. If he is even on our AAA team next year our baseball teak is I'm trouble

Give me Janssen/Crain and  LH Mike Gonzalez

Release Blanton + non-tender Hanson

Sign Lincecum, trade Aybar + Frieri to STL for Carlos Martinez and Ryan Jackson

Weaver

Wilson

Lincecum

Martinez

Richards

Janssen/Crain

Burnett

Kohn

DDR

Gonzalez

Rasmus

Williams

Edited by SigBaby

I don't get why anybody would want Lincecum. This team needs a sure-fire thing for the rotation, not a gigantic question mark. He's been pretty bad the last two years, and that's while pitching in the NL and in one of the most pitcher-friendly parks in baseball. Batters are hitting .274 against him away from San Fran the last two seasons.

I understand that he still has talent there, but his complete dropoff in 2012 is definitely concerning, and it isn't like he has been that much better this year. I'd say he would be good for a number 5 if he came cheap, but he likely won't and the Angels need a number 3 at worst.

I think Blanton is enough evidence for Angels fans to not give a shit about SIERA.

It was never a perfect stat and I will be the first to admit that. But to dismiss it entirely is garbage too tdawg. There are real signs with Parra such as increased velocity that point to a turnaround.

I wasn't dismissing it entirely. I understand that many advanced statistics give a better view of a player's abilities and projection than the stuff on the surface. That said, the Angels need a complete bullpen overhaul and guys like Parra are a dime a dozen. I mean, he had a 1.65 WHIP last year. That's putrid. Even this year his stats aren't that much better than say, Michael Kohn's. Maybe he'll become a great reliever and pitch well into his late 30's, but I see a guy with a career 5.03 ERA and 1.62 WHIP in over 500 IP. I'd rather the Angels look at guys who have a history of success for the pen, rather than guys who don't but have "potential" for success.

Um

2009: 71 games

2010: 73 games

2011: 69 games

2012: 70 games