• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels are extending stadium deal w/ Anaheim no more "of Anaheim"

HBMike

I can see how the City of Anaheim would want to tie up every conceivable loose end in order to prevent a non-ethical owner from trying to exploit another agreement in place.

Then again, I'm sure there's another loophole that can be found.

The previous agreement though probably relied too much on a gentlemen's agreement which did not take into account a complete d-bag of an owner taking the reigns and exploiting the city.

Lol

I can see how the City of Anaheim would want to tie up every conceivable loose end in order to prevent a non-ethical owner from trying to exploit another agreement in place.

The previous agreement though probably relied too much on a gentlemen's agreement which did not take into account a complete d-bag of an owner taking the reigns and exploiting the city.

You mad bro?

Poor us, we have an owner that has spent year after year to field a competitive team. Has his spending worked the last couple years? No, but he isn't afraid to spend money. That D-Bag has taken a team that has one of the lowest tv ratings in all of baseball if not the actual lowest, and gotten them a $3 billion TV contract. Remember when Jackie sold the team? She said its because Anaheim was a small market, well not anymore. He changed the name, big effing deal, it worked. Get over it.

I would like to take this opportunity to welcome Curt Pringle to AngelsWin.com!

I've got no issue with the LA Angels name, I actually prefer it over Anaheim Angels. 

LA Angels of Anaheim though is ridiculous and pretty indicative of ownership's M.O.

The Scott Miller article highlights more specific examples.

Probably didn't look that bad in the press for years because the comparisons were to McCourt.

nice post bitterman.

I've got no issue with the LA Angels name, I actually prefer it over Anaheim Angels. 

LA Angels of Anaheim though is ridiculous and pretty indicative of ownership's M.O.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your post, but are you saying the "..of Anaheim" was Arte's decision? If so, that is absolutely ridiculous. Arte has wanted the name to be "LA Angels" all along, but the CITY wouldn't allow it.

Yes, the gentleman's agreement is a well-known contractual tool that binds two parties together and forces them to follow all of the rules set forth in said "agreement", that is bound by "bro law".

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your post, but are you saying the "..of Anaheim" was Arte's decision? If so, that is absolutely ridiculous. Arte has wanted the name to be "LA Angels" all along, but the CITY wouldn't allow it.

"of Anaheim" did not materialize out of thin air. Someone had to come up with it. If the owner didn't have such a hard on about adding Los Angeles to the name, they would still be the "Anaheim Angels". Instead, because he was determined, come hell or high water, to be the "Los Angeles Angels" the "of Anaheim" was technically added to the name. Denying that is disingenuous at best and outright rewriting history at worst.

I think the Angels lose character if they drop of anaheim

just imagine the washington nations of the district of columbia

or the new york yankees of the bronx

or the new york mets of queens

the angels were really onto something with the name change a decade ago

Not sure I understand your point.

Washington is a city within the District of Columbia; the Bronx and Queens are boroughs within New York City; Anaheim has absolutely nothing to do with Los Angeles.

"of Anaheim" did not materialize out of thin air. Someone had to come up with it. If the owner didn't have such a hard on about adding Los Angeles to the name, they would still be the "Anaheim Angels". Instead, because he was determined, come hell or high water, to be the "Los Angeles Angels" the "of Anaheim" was technically added to the name. Denying that is disingenuous at best and outright rewriting history at worst.

Exactly. Terms called for "Anaheim" to be in the name. Somebody got clever with that.

That...doesn't disprove what I said at all. Arte wanted the name to be "LA Angels", the city forced them to keep "Anaheim" in the name. The post that I was responding to seemed to imply that Arte is the one who wanted it in the name in the first place. Am I seriously missing something here?

Edited by tdawg87

The team's agreement with the city required that "Anaheim" be included in the official designation of the team. Moreno tacked it onto the end so that he could name the team what he wanted for marketing purposes and still technically comply with the agreement with the City of Anaheim.

I give this post an F.

The team's agreement with the city required that "Anaheim" be included in the official designation of the team. Moreno tacked it onto the end so that he could name the team what he wanted for marketing purposes and still technically comply with the agreement with the City of Anaheim.

This. And he's a genius for doing so.