• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Trout is the second greatest player I've ever seen

A couple things to consider as you digest my statement:

1) I've been following baseball for over three decades, since the early '80s, so what I've "seen" covers that period of time

2) The best player I've ever seen play is Barry Bonds, who was an incredible hitter - steroids or not. My belief is that regardless of what impact steroids had on a player's performance, considering two things a) the likelihood that a large percentage of players were using steroids at any give time, and B) even considering the impact of steroids, not all players were performing at a high level of play, my conclusion is that Bonds was great no matter what his "steroidal" impact was. One more thing to consider: He was great while playing for the Pirates and in his early years as a Giant, when he was arguably the best player in the game. We cannot discount his already-established greatness by the fact that for four years, 2001-04, he was essentially as good as any player EVER - very similar to what Babe Ruth must have been like during his prime, in the early 1920s.

So all that said, Mike Trout is the second best player that I've ever seen play the game of baseball. He's better than Henderson, Schmidt, Brett, Boggs, Griffey, A-Rod, Pujols, and everyone that played during the last 30 years not named Barry Bonds.

I don't say this lightly.

Hmmm. I think trouts a bonafide stud AJ, but too earlt for us (IMO) to put him so high. Were all biased (though I know you're very fair).

So ill wait for a bit in terms of trout. But I fully agree on bonds. Bonds was a stud pre steroids. And even once he made the leap...he wasn't a blip on the radar doing it. They all were (for the most part). Pitchers included. You look at just the names who got caught. Bonds was still better than all of them. And as I've said before, there's a ton of guys who juiced just as much, and never made it past single and double A.

I've said it before, I like the rickey henderson comps. I like the bo jackson comps (though trout is much better baseball wise). But trout reminds me most of bonds, pre san fran years. Hes gonna be a 30/30 guy for a decade. Plus fielder, average arm. Lets hope he stays healthy. If he does, yeah. Hes gonna be a homegrown hall of famer.

Trout is awful in clutch situations. Note that does not mean he isn't "clutch", just that he becomes a completely different hitter under pressure.

That said, he is so freaking amazing in every other situation that it doesn't even matter. I'm sure it's just a sample size issue, though it is a little concerning that he basically strikes out in every at bat in those situations.

Anywho, the point is that if Trout has one true flaw besides his arm, it's his "high-leverage" hitting. But you can't even really call that a flaw because it's such a random statistic. I'm guessing he'll adjust like he always does and we'll laugh at ourselves for ever questioning his greatness.

In all, he's definitely the most exciting player I've ever witnessed and I have never seen an Angels player with this much overall talent before. The Angels need to do everything in their power to extend him, even if it means taking a hit with the luxury tax.

Ocho, Bonds is an interesting comp because Bonds also was a CF-caliber fielder who played LF because there was a superior CFer on his team, Andy Van Slyke. But Bonds took longer to develop into a superstar and it wasn't until his fifth year that he became a .300 hitter.

But when I say that Trout is the second best player I've ever seen, I'm not talking about statistics but overall contribution on the field. Trout can just do so many things to hurt the other team. Actually, in a way he's more like a Tim Raines or Rickey Henderson in their prime in that way, although I don't think either were great fielders.

The crazy thing about Trout is that he has no true comps - not even Mickey Mantle. He's starting off better than anyone.

Oh, and by the way: its now official. Trout's fWAR through his age 21 season is better than any player in the history of the game. His 19.5 fWAR just passed Ott's 19.3, and in 230+ fewer games.

I have been thinking this for awhile as well. Bonds is Trout's most similar comp. That said Trout is far better at the same age, and Barry didn't really break out until his age 25 season when he finally cracked 30+ homers. Bonds didn't strike out quite as much as Trout does, and it wasn't until his age 24 season that he walked as many times as he struck out - Bonds would continue that trend for another 17 seasons. I have a feeling that Trout might accomplish this feat next year. 

Our offense with him, pujols and hamilton *should* have been amazing. Throw in trumbo and kendrick, lower leverl aybar and bourjos...should have been fun.

I have no doubts we offer something huge this year and lock him up. That will be the best part. If we do in fact keep him for 7-10 morr years, with him still in his prime, it gives us a perdect building block for our retooling years.

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

There is another player you could add to your list of greats Derek Sanderson Jeter from Pequannock Township, NJ. He has had a pretty good career. Not to take anything away from Barry Big Head Bonds  :) I understand why you consider him the greatest he was a beast.

That's a pretty bold statement considering this is only his second full season. I think what Miguel Cabrera is doing  trumps Trout right now. If Cabrera does get back2back Triple Crowns it will be one of baseballs highest accomplishments.

Edited by Troll Daddy

That's a pretty bold statement considering this is only his second full season. I think what Miguel Cabrera is doing trumps Trout right now. If Cabrera does get back2back Triple Crowns it will be one of baseballs highest accomplishments.

Even though I know you are trolling, Cabrera is not a better player than Trout. He is a better hitter, but that's it.

Bonds was a great player but he didn't kick it up a notch and start producing video game like numbers until 2001 which is most likely when he started heavily juicing.

You take out those years when he should have started naturally regressing and he doesn't compare to Trout.

His absolute best WAR year before that would be similar to what Trout is producing this year and his second best WAR year is below Trout's rookie year.

Trout really hasn't wowed me this season. HR's are down / Base stealing is down / runs scored is down / zero outfield assists (average arm) / no real highlight reel type catches compared to last season. As far as clutch hitting goes ... I'm know that will easily come around in a big way.

This is in no way to knock Trout because the guy has incredible talent. I think if he's moved up to the third spot in the order that his RBI totals will be 100+ easily. I could also see him as being a 30-40 HR guy.

These are my honest feeling ... call it trolling if you like :P eace

There is another player you could add to your list of greats Derek Sanderson Jeter from Pequannock Township, NJ. He has had a pretty good career. Not to take anything away from Barry Big Head Bonds  :) I understand why you consider him the greatest he was a beast.

I don't really think they are all that comparable. Jeter is a great all around player like Trout, but Trout's early career performance makes Jeter look more like Cole Calhoun. Jeter has never been particularly good at any one thing. Always considered below average defensively, average+ power, relatively patient, good average, defensive first position, good baserunner. Trout on the other hand has been, at times, argued to be the best in the game at just about all of those, sans the power.  

Bonds was a great player but he didn't kick it up a notch and start producing video game like numbers until 2001 which is most likely when he started heavily juicing.

You take out those years when he should have started naturally regressing and he doesn't compare to Trout.

His absolute best WAR year before that would be similar to what Trout is producing this year and his second best WAR year is below Trout's rookie year.

You wont find that many recent players with that many years comparable to Trout, especially when you are taking out their four best seasons (as reasonable as that might be).

Trout on D > Bonds on D

Trout on the basepaths > Bonds on the basepaths

Trout clean and legit > Bonds roided up and a farse.

Trout's offensive numbers at 20/21 > Bonds offensive numbers at 20/21

Case closed ****ers. 

This argument works with every player though :-) I think Trout currently has the highest career stolen base percentage as well.