• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2014 Rotation

SoWhat

I like the creativity and feel you're well aware of the the issues the Angels face and their strengths Ettin, but I don't think a rotation of Weav, Wilson, Richards, Vargas and Williams is going to cut it.  It didn't work in 2013 and probably wouldn't be much better off in 2014.  On top of which losing both Kendrick and Trumbo would really hurt the offense.  Having those pitchers you mentioned in AAA would bode well for the future of the organization, but I think that by making those moves, you'd essentially be writing off the the Angels in 2014.

My aim would be to field a much improved team for 2014, while acquiring the necessary talent to compete at a much higher level in 2015 and 2016. Essentially, I want to get the organization back on the right track. 

I think you're onto something with the idea of Green and Lindsey replacing 80% of Kendrick's value at 2B in 2014 and thus not losing much offense at all.  But losing Trumbo's 35ish HR could be more difficult to replace than previously assumed.  If we could say for sure that Pujols will be healthy and Hamilton would be better than he was this year, then absolutely, I'd be fine with trading Trumbo.  But I'm just not confident that's the case. 

I think the angels need to spend money in the short term to dig themselves out until they've grown the necessary longterm components.  

I'd deal Kendrick for Lee/Gausman and save 9 million, cut Blanton and save 500K, deal Hanson and save around 3 million, sign a good LHRP like Lopez or Perez for around 4 mil, sign a good closer type like Balfour for another 7 million.  This'd put the Angels around 10 million less than where they're at right now.  With that 10 million I'd sign Hughes for 7 million a year, Kuroda for a short contract worth 15 million a year.

This would put the Angels payroll right around 150 million, which is an acceptable level and would set them up for a rotation in a couple years that includes Weav, Wilson, Richards, Lee/Gausman and Sappington with guys like Hunter Green, Jonah Wesely, Arjenis Fernandez and Michael Clevinger all being in AA/AAA by then.  

Scott - Blanton has another year on his deal before the buyout which is 1mil.  So you'd owe him 8.5mil if you cut him before 2014

I still contend that Trumbo's value to the team is way overestimated yet I think another team might be in love with bringing in those hrs and give up a SP. 

Trumbo, Aybar and Kendrick should be able to net 2 SP, 2 reliever and a SS or 3b prospect.  All of those players would need to be AA/AAA and fringe major league ready. 

I think I disagree with most when I say that our offense isn't that great.  Mike Trout is great.  The rest is replaceable for the right pitching upgrades. 

Our offense will be fine if we trade two of either Aybar, Trumbo, Bourjos and Kendrick. I really like what Kole Calhoun has done with inconsistent playing time. His average will go up if he plays full time next year. What makes me confident in him is his BB% 13.3 SO% 18.9 BB/K 0.71

The good news is that there are probably a few GMs who'd be willing to trade a decent player for him.

Which was my point. Just because we don't necessarily need his HR power and fringe OPS, other teams would want that to compliment their rosters.

Trumbo has real value. It is up for debate about how much I just happen to be someone who thinks Trumbo could net us a top pitching prospect (or top prospect in general).

Mark Trumbo for Drew Smyly

Re-Sign Jason Vargas

Sign Matt Garza

Promote Garrett Richards to the closer role. Dude has a good enough fastball and knockout slider to get it done, unlike Frieri who has just a fastball. 

Sign or trade for at least 2-3 other top bullpen guys, if not 3-4. The bullpen needs an overhaul. Keep Frieri as your 7th inning guy. Keep De La Rosa and Kohn. Everyone else (including Jepsen) can go. I'm starting to like this Boshers kid though. Maybe he and Maronde battle it out for a spot as well. 

Signing Hughes would be the equivalent to the Blanton signing. We hardly need another guy with 6+ERA. Forget Garza, he is injured every year. Kuroda on a 1 year deal would be fine.

When it comes to trades, good luck finding a team that will give up club controlled pitching. The demand is much greater than the supply. The cost would be exorbitant.

Signing Hughes would be the equivalent to the Blanton signing. We hardly need another guy with 6+ERA. Forget Garza, he is injured every year. Kuroda on a 1 year deal would be fine.

When it comes to trades, good luck finding a team that will give up club controlled pitching. The demand is much greater than the supply. The cost would be exorbitant.

Which is why trading Corbin, Skaggs, and Saunders for a 30 year old Haren with a lot of miles on him already was one of the dumbest moves in the past 20 years of this franchise.

Which is why trading Corbin, Skaggs, and Saunders for a 30 year old Haren with a lot of miles on him already was one of the dumbest moves in the past 20 years of this franchise.

That trade was likely second only to the Pujols deal in terms of long term net damage to the franchise. 

re-sign Vargas if you can, then you've got Weaver, WIlson, Vargas, Richards and need to pick up a number three through five guy (someone not named Blanton).

If the Halos want to retain Jerome Williams as a sixth starter, 4-A guy, long relief, etc. --- that's OK I guess -- but I think Jerome Williams' time with us is done.

starting pitching is going to be in high demand in both on the F/A market and on the trade market.......several of the pitchers listed in this thread will no doubt receive overly generous contracts.

For example, Lincecum, who turned down a huge deal offered by the Giants during the 2012 season but wanted to 'wait' to test the F/A market -- no he can do that but will not receive anywhere close to what the Giants previously offered him - however, he still may have several bidders for his services -- including the rotation starved Yankees -- and get a better contract than his 2013 performance suggest he should.......

Angels should probably (as this thread suggests on several posts) package guys like Burgous, Trumbo maybe Kendrick for a quality Number three type starter -- preferably a younger arm under club control for several more seasons -- or someone who the Halos can extend upon making the deal --  even a number three guy is going to be expensive both in terns of trading our players away and in contract dollars.....

Guys like Cowgill, Calhoun make Bourgos (who I really like but may be better suited for an NL team) and probably Trumbo, as well, expendable........as they say, gotta give up something to get something......we need a starter........unless anyone here thinks a combo of Williams/ Blanton/ AAA guys can fill the fifth spot --  yeah, thought so, we've seen enough of that.........

Kendrick should get you a quality starter plus prospects

Bourjos or Trumbo should get you a major league ready starter who is blocked by a quality rotation of their parent club.  OR they should be able to get a couple of prospects.  

I say trade Kendrick as we have an over abundance of 2b with the trade of Green and Lindsey doing well. 

Than trade either Bourjos, Trumbo, or Calhoun whoever brings you the best package.  I wouldn't even be upset if we traded two of them if it got us enough.  However, I do not think we should give up both Bourjos and Trumbo for just one starter.  

Hamilton and Trout are locks for rotation and Shuck as been adequate.  Cowgill is fine as #4 outfielder.  I would hate to see PB or Trumbo go, but as mentioned, the franchise has to do what it has to do.

That's definitely some outside the box thinking, Chuck.  I think the Angels need to keep young starts with upside in the rotation, because they have a serious shortage of that right now.  Maybe take Smyly and put him in the closer spot, keep Richards in the rotation with Garza, Wilson and Weav.  That rotation would be above average.  Bullpen may be above average too. They'd just need to hit. 

Smyly is intriguing, good control and is frugal on the long ball, and can strike batters out.

Are both he and Richards better suited for key late innings work, or for the rotation?

Richards is showing a lot over the past month, keeping the ball in the park and putting up a low ERA and WHIP in that time, sans the Houston home start.