• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2014 Rotation

SoWhat

How would you fix it? If it was up to me, I'd sign Masahiro Tanaka and try to pull of a trade of Bourjos and Trumbo/Kendrick for Taijuan Walker. We'd have two experienced top of the rotation guys in Weaver and Wilson to go along with 3 young power arms with a ton of potential.

Weaver

Wilson

Tanaka

Richards

Walker

To me, the rotation is very much tied to being able to move some position players so I would do the following:

Trade Kendrick, Bourjos, Trumbo and maybe Aybar for what would net us Two club controlled starting pitchers on the verge of being major leaguers (one of which with potential to be a #2),  two relievers and a SS prospect that is about ready. 

I would kick the tires on McCann to see if you could get him on a 4-5yr deal for about 15-17per.  Which I doubt.  If so, I would include Conger in the list above getting an additional AA pitcher.

I would re-sign Vargas and look at signing a couple of additional starters to minor league deals.  Guys with upside, not innings eaters. 

You have to at least look at Tanaka, and if he's a #2 then I hope they go hard at him.  I felt the same about the Cuban kid but he seems to be a bit more buyer beware. 

I don't think they are in a position to spend anymore so McCann and Tanaka are unlikely as is Garza who I don't like anyway. 

Free agents I would look at beyond Vargas:

Kuroda and Burnett could be cheap and only 1-2 years, but both appear to want to stay with their respective teams

Phil Hughes and Scott Baker could be interesting if they end up cheap

Josh Johnson on a 1yr deal only

Lester if Boston doesn't pick up his option

Suk-min Yoon and Tsuyoshi Wada are two sleepers.

Stay away from Scott Feldman, Gavin Floyd, Paul Maholm, Rickey Nolasco, Tim Lincecum, Mike Pelfrey, Ryan Vogelsong

For the pen I would look at:

Mujica (One of the top priorities imo)

I'd bring Downs back on a 1yr deal as a LOOGY

JP Howell

Joe Smith (another guy I really hope we get)

Tim Stauffer (who could also spot start)

Nick Masset

Jesse Crain

And a few other guys I would consider on 1yr deals. 

If you move kendrick and aybar, I would let Green, Romine, Lindsey, the SS prospect obtained in trade, Lucho fight it out with outside consideration to Nelson, Marte and Field. 

If you move Trumbo, and don't sign McCann, a 1yr or minor league deal to someone like Morneau, Youkilis, Chavez, Corey Hart, Mike Morse or along those line to stop gap DH, or I would let Shuck play OF/DH and put Calhoun at 1b/OF

I would get as much pitching as possible, let Trout carry the offense, beg Hamilton and Pujols to get their heads out of their butts, play great defense, and try to replicate last night or somewhere near there as many times as possible.

Trout and good pitching makes you ok to fringe-ish.  Solid years from Pujols and Hamilton on top of that gives you a legit shot assuming no injuries to the starters (because we'd still have no depth), a little luck, winning close games, playing good defense and good fundamental baseball.  

It's the best we can hope for.   

What I'd do - Weav, Wilson, Kuroda (perfect world he's available), Richards & Hughes.  

And even then, that's only fixing part of this equation which is plaguing the Angels.  I'd also want to go out there and sign two really good relievers and trade Kendrick for a couple of very good pitching prospects in AA or higher.

I'd really want to set the Angels up so that in two-three years they'd have Richards, Sappington and the two good young pitching prospects from the Kendrick deal in the rotation.  Kuroda and Hughes would be short term fixes and the down the road we can decide if we want to keep Weav and Wilson around any longer. 

The final part of the equation.  Make a decision on Scioscia and Dipoto.  Right now I honestly don't care.  trade one, fire the other, fire them both, or keep both for the long term.  Just remove the uncertainty so that we all can move past this. 

You start with this:

Weaver, Wilson, XXX, XXX, Richards

You see what Vargas wants - if he's OK with a 1-2 year deal, you sign him for that 4th spot. If not, you've got more work but the approach is the same: Sign the best free agent starter possible and/or trade one or more of Kendrick, Trumbo, Calhoun, Bourjos, Cron, and Grichuk for a projectable young pitcher or two.

I know this is up to you, but it isn't remotely possible.

Yeah I did at first.  Unintentional, but that sounds like a nickname AO would use.

What is remotely possible since you always seem to have the answers and some great inner circle insight. 

You start with this:

Weaver, Wilson, XXX, XXX, Richards

You see what Vargas wants - if he's OK with a 1-2 year deal, you sign him for that 4th spot. If not, you've got more work but the approach is the same: Sign the best free agent starter possible and/or trade one or more of Kendrick, Trumbo, Calhoun, Bourjos, Cron, and Grichuk for a projectable young pitcher or two.

This is what I was thinking as well.  I think Weaver and Wilson fit nicely at the top of the rotation and Richards can project anywhere from 2-5.  I'd make Vargas at least a qualifying offer and see if I couldn't get 2 years out of him.  Then, I'd trade out of a group of Kendrick, Aybar, Calhoun, Trumbo, and Bourjos plus minor leaguers to fill the final spot in the rotation and/or BP help. 

Hahahaha this tactic again?

I do know that the Angels haven't scouted any of Tanaka's starts.

Actually it was a serious question, if you are going to knock someone at least come back with something that is plausible. 

AJ, agree with your take. Seems very reasonable to accomplish.