• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Masahiro Tanaka

SoWhat

If this guy turns out to be a true #2 starter then it's the best and maybe only chance the halos will have of acquiring a player of that caliber perhaps for the next 2-3 years.  I hope they take a really hard look at this guy. 

Some on this board already believe we have a #2 starter in Weaver. Unless he throws 98mph it won't make those people very happy.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

The constant negativity is one thing but comments like what he posted are in poor taste even if joking. 

It is the constant crap like this why many people, such as myself, tend to ignore this part of the website. I see a post about this pitcher and was interested to read about him and immediatly the "It doesnt matter Butcher will ruin him" comments hit the thread. 

If you don't think the entire Angels organization understands they must get creative to find pitching, I don't know what to tell you. Until this thread almost everyone here didnt know who this guy was but now if they dont sign him Arte is stupid? Yeah okay

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Not from an equality standpoint, but from a believing in them enough to sign them standpoint

He hasn't signed ANY Japanese/Korean players directly from their major leagues ever, in fact for this franchise that goes back to Hasegawa in 1997.

Maybe my thought needs to be reworded.   Is he then anti-rights fee?   Is Stoneman advising him to not do so, because he never did so himself.

How many MLB teams over the past decade haven't signed ANY players directly from the Japanese/Korean major leagues? 

I will say that at least he's starting to be in on Latin American players again, after a dry spell of several years back to Aybar/Morales.

Not from an equality standpoint, but from a believing in them enough to sign them standpoint

He hasn't signed ANY Japanese/Korean players directly from their major leagues ever, in fact for this franchise that goes back to Hasegawa in 1997.

Maybe my thought needs to be reworded.   Is he then anti-rights fee?   Is Stoneman advising him to not do so, because he never did so himself.

How many MLB teams over the past decade haven't signed ANY players directly from the Japanese/Korean major leagues? 

I will say that at least he's starting to be in on Latin American players again, after a dry spell of several years back to Aybar/Morales.

19 teams so I guess from your stance there are 11 racist or anti rights fee owners. It wasnt hard to look up, did it while I was working on my other screen. 

Why Dicey-K 2.0? This guy actually has good control.

DiceK had good control in the Japanese league also.  

1999 2.60 era, 1.17 WHIP

2000 3.97 Era, 1.35 WHIP

2002 3.68 ERA, 1.02 WHIP

2003 2.83 ERA, 1.18 WHIP

2004 2.90 ERA, 1.16 WHIP

2005 2.30 ERA, 1.03 WHIP

2006 2.13 ERA, 0.92 WHIP

In his last 5 years in japan, his bb/k ratio was never over 0.33.  Their stats are actually very similar.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=daisuke-matsuzaka

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=masahiro-tanaka

19 teams so I guess from your stance there are 11 racist or anti rights fee owners. It wasnt hard to look up, did it while I was working on my other screen. 

Okay, I didn't imply racism in my restating of the question, as that was never the intention.    Simply whether indeed he had an issue with paying the extra rights fee.   

Thank you for supplying the fact that 19 teams have signed them over the past decade.   That's almost 2/3 of all MLB teams. 

If Arte Moreno has a problem with paying the rights fee, then come right out and say it.   But he is ignoring an important part of player scouting.   If he wasn't re-starting the Latin American scouting emphasis already, I'd say it's a huge problem.

But it's still one that makes one wonder, given the money he has spent already.

That's where this all comes from.   Wasn't it negatively affecting the org when we basically stayed away from both Latin America and the Far East from around 2005 through the early 2010s?

You can't build a successful team just from trades, FA, and the MLB draft.   

He's perfect for us, but we all know if Arte goes for pitching it'll either be Blanton 2.0 or signing Lincecum to a ridiculous deal.

He''d be perfect for every other team as well.  Any team could use more pitching.

"In a subscription-only piece, Badler also profiles Tanaka's most recent start in Japan, during which he whiffed eight hitters over seven scoreless innings to improve to 18-0 and drop his ERA to 1.15. Badler notes that Tanaka has "arguably the best splitter in the world," and reached 97 mph with his heater on his 108th pitch of the night. Tanaka would have to be posted by the Rakuten Golden Eagles to make the jump to mlb"

Tanaka, please!

Is there ANY other reason, besides being anti-posting fee, that prevents Arte from ever signing players from over there?

Troll answer: Because he is a racist and his older brother was killed at Pearl Harbor.

Serious answer: Probably because the Angels have poor scouting overseas and he isn't terribly aware of who he is. He isn't going to sign someone because "other teams want him so he must be good" or because a message board wants him to. Whether we believe he meddles in personell decisions or not, he's not going to sign a player he or his advisors haven't really even heard of or seen in action.

Edited by tdawg87