• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Lots of Angels notes in Rosenthal's column

nate

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/mike-trout-signing-long-term-will-be-troublesome-for-los-angeles-angels-081113

Info about Trout and arbitration.  Couple notes I wanted to point out.

Tension persists between Dipoto and Scioscia, according to major league sources.

Then again, this is only Dipoto’s second year on the job, and he appeared to lose payroll flexibility last winter when the Angels – at Moreno’s behest - signed Hamilton to a five-year, $125 million free-agent contract.

I’ll repeat what I wrote in May: Fourteen years is a long time for a manager to stay in one place. Especially when everything no longer is the same.

Seems pretty clear that the Moreno/Dipoto/Scioscia relationship is broken. We know Arte isn't going anywhere. I think it takes at least 2-3 years for a new GM to make his mark on a team, so I'd like for Dipoto to stay and see what happens with a new manager that presumably shares his vision for the team.

Seems pretty clear that the Moreno/Dipoto/Scioscia relationship is broken. We know Arte isn't going anywhere. I think it takes at least 2-3 years for a new GM to make his mark on a team, so I'd like for Dipoto to stay and see what happens with a new manager that presumably shares his vision for the team.

Other than winning, I don't really believe Jerry has any vision.  Seems more like he's just throwing stuff up against the wall and seeing what sticks, and caving to the owner when the owner wants something.  As far as making his mark on the team, he's already done it, both in terms of player personnel and front office personnel.  Yeah, he might as well replace the manager, and coaching staff too, he's broken everything else.

Rosenthal was the first to tweet that his sources told him that the Angels and Pujols were talking. I tweeted back to him calling BS and to quit F-ing with us. Two days later, Pujols became an Angel.

I think I will take Rosenthal's tweets a little more seriously than just conjecture.

I can't imagine Scioscia being gone anytime soon with five years left on his contract.  I just don't see it.  I can maybe see Butcher being relieved as a scapegoat, or possibly someone else on the staff.  

Regardless of what happens, we need to at least try and shore up some pitching in the offseason through trades.  I saw a graphic used yesterday in the broadcast showing something like Weaver and Wilson having a combined 2.70 ERA for the past two months, while all other starters have combined for an ERA around 6.00.  I mean, that is unbelievably terrible.  If we have another season of dragging Hanson, Blanton and Williams out there it's going to be another long, long year.  

I can actually see us having a competitive team next year if we get even one more serviceable starter and resign Vargas.  Weaver, Wilson, Vargas and Richards is at least a respectable core rotation.  

Nate's personal quest to get Scioscia fired via Aw.com.  LOL

I've met and talked to Dipoto.  I think his fallacy is he is a pure stats guy without too much regard for team chemistry and "gut" feel.  I think it was pretty easy to see that Hamilton was trending down.  His end of the 2012 year was not good and Texas didn't really want him.  That should have been a red light.  I believe Dipoto will improve with age.  He's really a smart guy and hard worker.

If Rosenthal is right, and I think he probably is.  Trout 2014 ??, 2015 $12 million, 2016 $16 million, 2017 $20 million, 2018 FA.  $48 million for the three arb years.  They should just do a 7/$125 or a 6/$100 and hope he signs.  Would put him right in the 28/29 YO area for his monster contract.

Mariners could very possibly lose Wedge next season due to his heart problems.  

Seattle would take Scioscia in a heartbeat.  Lots of other teams would, too.  

I doubt other teams would be willing to assume the remainder of his contract in a trade. They might be willing to take him for peanuts if Moreno buys out the contract.

I'm not saying this isn't true, but it's certainly not clear by any means.  Looking from the outside, I see that Dipoto did not put a team together that works with Mike's strengths. 

.....and those would be?

Are "productive outs" and sacrifice bunts down this season?

Once again Bruce knows more than seasoned and connected MLB writers.

Nate, I didn't agree with some of Howard Cosell's stuff, but when he said "Sportswriters need close scrutiny in this country" - he nailed it.  These guys main mission is to stir the pot with qualifying statements like, "Sources are telling me" and "There are rumors" and many others.

It seems pretty clear based upon rumors from unnamed sources?

Yeah, clear as mud.

Dismissing all media reports relying on unnamed or unquoted sources, as you and others (Lifetime, cough, cough) seemingly always do, is rather close minded....I tend to be somewhere in the middle....I don't jump on every media rumor as fact nor do I dismiss them all, particularly if it comes from Rosenthal, who, despite your narrow viewpoint, does have sources and is a credible reporter...same as Olney and others....

Offense isn't a problem for this team, shouldn't really have anything to do with how they score runs or if it "plays to Scioscia's strengths" as long as they're scoring.  Top 5 in baseball for OBP, OPS and AVG, 8th in runs... I'll take that any year.  Defense looked good on paper as well.  They've sucked for whatever reason this year, but guys like Aybar, Trout, Pujols, Hamilton, Bourjos, Callaspo, etc. have always been plus defenders.

The problem has been and continues to be pitching, and with a shitty barren farm system and weak free agent crops what is Dipoto really expected to do?  There really hasn't been much available, and we haven't had the pieces to really do anything substantial through trades.  I think it's shortsighted and somewhat of a stretch to say this team is terrible because of him, but irrational hate is irrational hate I guess.  Some of his acquisitions have been odd/questionable (Blanton deal especially) and I'm not saying he's been great or anything, but most of the moves he made were for the most part praised while they were happening.  Shifting the philosophy of an organization doesn't happen in a year or two.  

I don't know much team wise or what their plan is, but from a business stand point I'm inclined to say Dipoto has been strapped. If your owner is wanting marquee signings but also wanting you to stick to a budget, then he is really left short with obtaining other players and needs.

I don't mind any of the Dipoto moves as they have been made. Looking back they haven't worked, but there is nothing to assume these guys couldn't perform to their career averages or even with a slight decline. If that happens we aren't a bad team morning this mess. Hanson has had a Santana lights out performance followed by a blow up and Madson was sadly a failed risk/reward.

We've also strangely been hit with the injury bug at some really odd times or moments, whether it be Borjeus who's been out all year, Weaver, or even random events like blood clots and family members passing away. This department doesn't help anyone look good in the fo.