• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

moto x phone.

mrwicked

First from-the-ground-up phone out of motorola since the $12.5b acquisition by google a couple years ago (they've been a non-trivial drain on GOOG's bottom line ever since).

Looks like they're going for mass appeal here.

But the main "innovation" : ability to customize it with funky colors and cases with a web app. Ouch. 

Hello Moto X

http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/01/hello-moto-x-2/

moto-x02.jpg?w=640

Yeah I haven't heard bad stuff on it - other than the typical "well its not the most bleeding edge."

But again I don't think that's what they're going for w/ this device.

It'll be an interesting slope to watch motorola doing their thing while GOOG still tries to appease partners selling other android handsets.

I hope all these google edition phones don't mean the end of the line for nexuses

Well they did just do a Nexus 7 refresh, but that's presumably a more popular product. It's an interesting question, because it was assumed that Google was selling Nexus' (Nexii?) at cost or even a loss. It kinda depends on what their aim is... if they are just looking for stock Android reference devices for their staff, developers, and hardcore devotees, then the Google Experience phones might just do that. If they are, for whatever reason, trying to drive low-cost unlocked phone sales, then maybe they'll continue with new Nexus phones.

its interesting that they priced it at the same point as the higher-ups: HTC One and the Galaxy S4.

Other than the customization (which is pointless for those who use cases) there is no/little reason to buy this over one of those or a Nexus.

Nexus will continue. That's all about latest android.

Moto X is designed to be mass market I think - not the best specs, not the latest android, but a solid phone. 

Will be interesting to see how it does.

I'm kind of disappointed. When I heard google was involved in something called the X Phone I was expecting something more...revolutionary. This just seems so..."meh."

what else can phones do that would make them revolutionary?  Putting in awesome hardware does nothing for the average person.  They all do the same thing.

what else can phones do that would make them revolutionary?  Putting in awesome hardware does nothing for the average person.  They all do the same thing.

Well there were rumors of google developing some type of bendable screen.

A phone that could be wrapped around your wrist like a watch would be pretty damned revolutionary. Would turn them into more fashion/status symbols than they already are and add an incredibly futuristic feel to them. Pretty revolutionary if you ask me.

Well there were rumors of google developing some type of bendable screen.

A phone that could be wrapped around your wrist like a watch would be pretty damned revolutionary. Would turn them into more fashion/status symbols than they already are and add an incredibly futuristic feel to them. Pretty revolutionary if you ask me.

yeah, this will come soon.

apple has a few patents on OLED where its bendable and super thin. so they'll likely release that in an iWatch pretty soon.

samsung is also doing stuff on this front.

agreed its hard to "revolutionize" phones now, theyre pretty much commoditized.

the finger print sensor to unlock / use as bank/etc login should be pretty cool.

the problem is the current incubations of it just aren't reliable.

you can't have a biometric sensor that isn't 100% accurate. especially if you're using it for your lock screen.

and double especially if youre using it for your lock screen and your phone is set to wipe itself after X failed attempts.

although i would assume there would be a keypad backup.

also if someone can hack/trick the fingerprint scanner, you're gonna have a bad time.

• 2 weeks later...