• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why the Angels won't sell

As I see it the Angels, as of right now, don't have many sellable pieces given that Bourjos, Vargas, Burnett, and Hanson are on the DL and not eligible to trade. But they do have Downs, De La Rosa, even Trumbo, Kendrick and Aybar - all of whom could help a playoff-bound team.

But here's the thing: the Angels have all four of their high priced free agents - Pujols, Hamilton, Weaver and Wilson - under contract for 3+ years, making their "window of opportunity" with those players being 2014-2016. In 2017 Wilson and Weaver are free agents, and in 2018 its Hamilton. To sell off Kendrick and Aybar before Lindsey, Yarbrough, and Stamets--not to mention Rondon--prove they're ready is decreasing chances of contention in the next year or two.

I could see Downs being traded for a grade B prospect because he's a free agent this offseason and you might as well unload him now and get the prospect. I could also see the Angels trading one of Trumbo, Bourjos, or Calhoun, but probably not until Pujols proves he can play 1B again and/or Bourjos is healthy.

But the point being, don't expect any major deals in the next week unless they magically go on a tear and Dipoto goes nuts and trades for a starter. But that seems unlikely.

AJ, our Angels are stuck with a plan that didn't work. They should have rebuilt after the 2010 season. They went all in with Pujols and Hamilton which gets worse the next few years. I really wonder if Trout will want to hang around for this. I would hate to see him leave but I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to get out. This team looks like a longterm problem to fix.

Hearing people constantly talking about being worried about Trouts happiness is beyond old. 

As for the OG post, it isn't like they really have any pieces outside of Vargas that could bring back anything substantial to make a deal worth making and like you said it is too soon to move Aybar or Kendrick. 

True, but they have to pass through waivers. I suppose if Vargas comes back and makes three strong starts he'll have interest. But Hanson? No. Bourjos? Definitely, but him we shoudl keep.

Everyone seems high on Calhoun ... Do you see him as a possible starter next season or a utility player or trade bait?

As I see it the Angels, as of right now, don't have many sellable pieces given that Bourjos, Vargas, Burnett, and Hanson are on the DL and not eligible to trade. But they do have Downs, De La Rosa, even Trumbo, Kendrick and Aybar - all of whom could help a playoff-bound team.

But here's the thing: the Angels have all four of their high priced free agents - Pujols, Hamilton, Weaver and Wilson - under contract for 3+ years, making their "window of opportunity" with those players being 2014-2016. In 2017 Wilson and Weaver are free agents, and in 2018 its Hamilton. To sell off Kendrick and Aybar before Lindsey, Yarbrough, and Stamets--not to mention Rondon--prove they're ready is decreasing chances of contention in the next year or two.

I could see Downs being traded for a grade B prospect because he's a free agent this offseason and you might as well unload him now and get the prospect. I could also see the Angels trading one of Trumbo, Bourjos, or Calhoun, but probably not until Pujols proves he can play 1B again and/or Bourjos is healthy.

But the point being, don't expect any major deals in the next week unless they magically go on a tear and Dipoto goes nuts and trades for a starter. But that seems unlikely.

I think the window to contend with those 4 being the centerpieces of the lineup and staff has already closed. Trout is the piece that will have to lead the Angels to a championship. Trout probably has about 10 years of great play left. That should be our window not the 3 years we have of Weaver and Wilson. I'd like to see this team rebuild right now and be true contenders for 6 years of the 10 with Trout than fake contenders for the next 3 and then stink for 7 years after that.

True, but they have to pass through waivers. I suppose if Vargas comes back and makes three strong starts he'll have interest. But Hanson? No. Bourjos? Definitely, but him we shoudl keep.

I would trade Bourjos for pitching.  Is there anybody in the Angels organization who can evaluate pitchers?

I would trade Bourjos for pitching.  Is there anybody in the Angels organization who can evaluate pitchers?

Not sure it's all evaluation. Part of it might be development. I know people are hesitant to blame Butcher but when Black was our pitching coach we were pretty successful at finding pitchers. Maybe it was Stoneman, though. On the other hand DiPoto seemed capable of evaluating pitchers when he got Corbin and Skaggs instead of taking Richards which leads back to development. Or a third option it's largely chance and the Angels went through a hot streak and are now on a cold one.

We know that Dipoto hired a bunch of scouts and development folks over the past year. 

Let's hope they can help to undo this mess.

But it will be a 3-4 year period to get the farm working right.  

I hope the acquisitions are a ton better than the ones from August 2009-December 2012!

I agree with you AJ.  The team owes way too much money to its big guys, most of whom are immovable, to rebuild.  Instead, I see them re-tooling and hoping for better luck next year. 

I still don't understand why a team can't rebuild with a high payroll. The owner is obviously blowing a lot of money not contending, but that doesn't mean it doesn't make baseball sense. If you look at the baseball circumstances this is the time to rebuild. Putting too much money into something isn't a reason to keep throwing more money at it. There is a time to cut losses and I think this team is at that point. There are some losses that probably can't be cut but some certainly can and doing it now will just make it easier to be good again faster in the future.

Id be happy with

Weaver

Wilson

Free Agent-PTBNL

Vargas

Richards

Where are we getting a pitcher better than Vargas? Can we do this without effecting our run differential (ie if Howie is worth 15 more runs over the season than Lindsey and new pitcher is 15 runs better than Blanton then there was no real difference). Can we sign a FA pitcher and Vargas with what our payroll is? Is it worth our first round pick to do that? What happens in 4 years when we have to replace Weaver, Wilson, Vargas and have no farm system and a huge payroll?

I do see some things from this team that are very encouraging that signal this can still be a very good team.

1. Bullpen is really starting to shape up. Kohn have been beasts down there and even with Downs gone next year, Burnett is the better lefty. Ideally we sign another lefty for the pen in the offseason, but maybe Maronde/ Roth can fill the spot.

2. Hamilton is starting to come out of it, hes hitting the ball the other way and having better at bats.

3. Wilson has proven himself as a #2 starter. Here is how I would fix the rotation: resign Vargas, non tender Hanson, put Richards in the rotation to be the 5 starter and put Blanton in the pen as mop up man. Give Jerome a more prominent role in the pen. Trade someone for a number 3/4 starter and prospects. In order of trade value IMO its Aybar, Trumbo, Howie, Bourjos, Calhoun.

That would give us a rotation of

Weaver

Wilson

Pitcher

Vargas

Richards

I still don't understand why a team can't rebuild with a high payroll. The owner is obviously blowing a lot of money not contending, but that doesn't mean it doesn't make baseball sense. If you look at the baseball circumstances this is the time to rebuild. Putting too much money into something isn't a reason to keep throwing more money at it. There is a time to cut losses and I think this team is at that point. There are some losses that probably can't be cut but some certainly can and doing it now will just make it easier to be good again faster in the future.

I want to see the org lock up Trout, build the farm back to a respectable level and for god's sake shore up the pitching staff. If that means giving up Bourjos or Trumbo then so be it.

Where are we getting a pitcher better than Vargas? Can we do this without effecting our run differential (ie if Howie is worth 15 more runs over the season than Lindsey and new pitcher is 15 runs better than Blanton then there was no real difference). Can we sign a FA pitcher and Vargas with what our payroll is? Is it worth our first round pick to do that? What happens in 4 years when we have to replace Weaver, Wilson, Vargas and have no farm system and a huge payroll?

Trade Aybar for a controllable 3/4 and maybe a couple meh prospects. Sign a guy who can play good defense even if he cant hit, as there are 0 good FA SS. Martinez of the Cardinals would be great as would Rosenthal. They have a lot of good arms both in the majors and minors. A's have some good pitching and have no spot really for Sonny Gray even without Brett Anderson. Pirates have good young pitching as well and all those teams need a SS