• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Upcoming trade deadline (July 30th)

Given the disappointing start to the season, it seems sensible to begin considering potential trade candidates on our team and what's available on the market. This year, there should be a  focus on stocking up in the farm system while still keeping a good amount of our MLB talent. So, let's get started.

1.  Anderson could be our biggest trade asset in the pitching market. He's had a decent start this year, though some metrics suggest a potential decline. But if he keeps up his performance and has an ERA around 3.5-3.6 by the trade deadline, with another year of control, we should sell high on him!

-  The other team is the Padres. They're pushing hard for a playoff run, but they're really in need of pitching, especially with the news of Musgrove's injury this year. With Anderson, he could slot in as either their third or fourth pitcher.

The trade:

*  Padres get Anderson, Estevez, Plus 5 Mil

*  Angels get: Adam Mazur, Graham Pauley, and Victor Lizarraga

Neither of these 3 prospects are in the top 100, but both Mazur and Pauley provide an interesting talent, while Lizarraga could be the wild card of the trade.  Mazur, is an interesting prospect, whose main tool is his Plus-Plus command, with a plus slider and a 92-96 MPH FB, with the upside of a #3. Pauley’s biggest knock is hit defense, he projects to be a corner outfield,1b/dh with plus plate discipline and the potential to be a 15-20 HR guy. Lizarraga, has the tools to be a dominate starter, but he still needs refinement of his stuff, he also has a potential ceiling of #3 and if his stuff take another jump, there could be more.

2.  Ward, I think, is our second-best trade asset. After some struggles, he's finally heating up, hitting over .300 in the past seven games. He's currently projected to be a 3-WAR player, which could fetch us a good return with a year left before free agency.

- The Royals are in dire need of offensive help in the outfield. Ward could be the perfect acquisition, providing a middle-of-the-order bat for them.

The Trade:

*    Royals get Ward, Moore and Drury

*     Angels get: Cayden Wallace, Mason Barnett, and Blake Wolters.

Once again none of these guys are in any top 100 list, however Blake Wolters is a potential arm that could leap into a top 100, while Wallace has the makings of being an above-average 3rd baseman, and Barnett looks like a solid 4th/5th starter in the majors.

With these two trades, or similar trades, we can easily stock-pile our farm system with talent that is close to reaching the MLB and solid depth, while getting some high-upside youngsters. Now the question, will Arte sell?  

Posted (edited)

So, if the Angels get nothing of higher value than what you've listed, how does this make them better for the future? I don't follow the farm system as many of you here do but how many of these fringe prospects outside the top 100 actually become good major league players? I also think part of the organization's problems is their inability to develop such talent. Until Arte sells and the culture is completely flipped, they will have little success. 

Edited by Jason

Drury, Estevez, Moore, and any of Cimber, Garcia, or Cisnero that are pitching well enough to be moved should be moved. They should sell Anderson basically the first moment someone offers something for him this summer before he turns back into a pumpkin. 

It would be wise to part with one of Rengifo, Ward, Canning or Sandoval if any one of the are going to bring back a really nice return. Wouldn't necessarily tear it all down yet.

Everything really goes back to an organizational plan. Trading the veterans mentioned here for younger players/prospects  is fine. But that acknowledges the team is in full rebuild mode. Which I am not sure Arte would endorse. Even though the results on the field reveal that need as a priority. 

It's possible Perry will still try and look for stop gap players rather than more raw potentially high ceiling prospects. In other words, he'll still look for somewhat younger guys with some major league experience, but with a lower ceiling. Or more veteran guys who have stagnated like the ones he's added mostly in recent years. The best deal he's made was the O'Hoppe trade. And he was lucky that Philly wanted Marsh. And that they still placed faith in Realmuto for their contention window. 

A big factor as well is what the Angel scouts are doing. Have they identified and targeted possible higher ceiling prospects who may take a few more years of development. And may be expendable for an Angel veteran who can help their current situation? 

I actually look forward to watching the current young Angels each game. Adell, Neto, Schanuel, O'Hoppe, some of the pitchers. Looking at their overall play and trying to project forward their possible ceiling. Currently playing on a weak team can actually build character and mental toughness. Going through a long losing grind while still trying to be positive and improving their individual play. 

I think Washington should prioritize their development more than anything else. Veterans can't really change much, and most won't be around longer term. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

So, if the Angels get nothing of higher value than what you've listed, how does this make them better for the future? I don't follow the farm system as many of you here do but how many of these fringe prospects outside the top 100 actually become good major league players? I also think part of the organization's problems is their inability to develop such talent. Until Arte sells and the culture is completely flipped, they will have little success. 

Actually Quite a few prospects in outside of top 100 go on to have solid Major League careers. Plus, most of these guys are projected to be close to the majors and each one has the upside to be solid starters or more.

I'll provide an assessment of these guys;

Highest Overall Upside:

1. Wallace, he has the ability to be  a gold-glove calibrate 3rd baseman, a position that we need. He's a well-rounder hitters, that projects to be an every day third-baseman. While the power is the big question.

Ceiling: 270-280, 20+ HRs, 350 OBP, 10-15 SB 

Likely-Hood: 270-280, 15 to 20 Hrs, 330-345 OBP, 10-15 SB 

2. Blake Wolters, he's 19 year old Kid with big upside, Fastball is 94 to 96, good slider that could flash plus at times, lack of third pitch is concern. However he's still so young that his upside is big, but so is bust potential.

Highest Offensive-Upside; 

1. Pauley, basically put he is one guy that could be in most top 100 lists, however defense is the biggest knock on him. He doesn't have a clear position, beside 1st base/DH or average at 2nd/Lf. But the bat is his true calling card, he has a plus hit tool, with plus plate discipline and above-average power.

His ceiling is a 300 hits, 350-360 OBP, and 20 home-rune guy. Its a ceiling he can reach.   

Pitching:

Mazur provides a solid #3 upside, plus has the command to be more.

barnett, is more of a back of the rotation upside, but he close and teams always needs guys like him with options, and have good stuff. 

• Chuck changed the title to Upcoming trade deadline (July 30th)
39 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

Everything really goes back to an organizational plan. Trading the veterans mentioned here for younger players/prospects  is fine. But that acknowledges the team is in full rebuild mode. Which I am not sure Arte would endorse. Even though the results on the field reveal that need as a priority. 

It's possible Perry will still try and look for stop gap players rather than more raw potentially high ceiling prospects. In other words, he'll still look for somewhat younger guys with some major league experience, but with a lower ceiling. Or more veteran guys who have stagnated like the ones he's added mostly in recent years. The best deal he's made was the O'Hoppe trade. And he was lucky that Philly wanted Marsh. And that they still placed faith in Realmuto for their contention window. 

A big factor as well is what the Angel scouts are doing. Have they identified and targeted possible higher ceiling prospects who may take a few more years of development. And may be expendable for an Angel veteran who can help their current situation? 

I actually look forward to watching the current young Angels each game. Adell, Neto, Schanuel, O'Hoppe, some of the pitchers. Looking at their overall play and trying to project forward their possible ceiling. Currently playing on a weak team can actually build character and mental toughness. Going through a long losing grind while still trying to be positive and improving their individual play. 

I think Washington should prioritize their development more than anything else. Veterans can't really change much, and most won't be around longer term. 

Really good points. But a few things, If the opportunity presents itself, and Anderson continues pitching at this level or close to Mid 3 ERA, with his age and stuff, I think you have to take a chance and sell high. Padres are a perfect trade partners for this. 

regarding Wards, A team like the Royal may consider it due his team friendly contract and another year of control. For the angels, you could replace his bat on the free agent market. 

I also don't think that trading Anderson and Ward implies it a full rebuild. Plus you save up about 15 to 20 mil, that could easily be spent to replace Ward and Anderson, while also improving depth in the system. 

The Way I see it is, that we trade 2 main guys, for  6 guys, that help the system, clears up salery. ETC.  

Posted (edited)

There is no reason to buy this season.

At the least, trade all expiring contracts in July.

Then see how Rengifo and Anderson are doing by July, both controlled only through 2025.

Ward is controlled though 2026.  I’d keep him along with Adell (control through 2027).  In other words, no trading of key players controlled beyond 2026

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Ward is controlled though 2026.

Sure, but he's also 30 already and we've seen how Trout and Rendon's bodies have started to break down since turning 30.  His decline could start at any time

3 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

It's May 6th and we're already looking forward to the trade deadline. Crazy.

Focus should be on both the draft and the trade deadline. Both will be a large determining factor as to how soon the talent pool of the team improves. Botching one or both will make things even worse long term.

lol trusting the Angels organization can trade for talent….they can’t recognize talent in the draft what makes you think they can recognize it in the minors.

Arte needs to sell and whoever buys the team needs to get rid of everyone in the organization.

3 minutes ago, yamsi12 said:

lol trusting the Angels organization can trade for talent….they can’t recognize talent in the draft what makes you think they can recognize it in the minors.

I agree, O’Hoppe, Neto, Detmers and Schanuel suck. 

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

They don't suck, but a roster where those guys are among your best players is probably a 65 win team every year, which we're already seeing (and yes I know they're all young and can improve but the Angels have a dismal recent history of continued development from their major league guys). 

3 hours ago, mmc said:

Sure, but he's also 30 already and we've seen how Trout and Rendon's bodies have started to break down since turning 30.  His decline could start at any time

Honestly, he has already hit the wall.

49 minutes ago, Stradling said:

They don’t suck and with Neto and Schanuel they aren’t necessarily setting the league on fire. On most teams thry probably would t be starting. Schanuel doesn’t have power from a typical position that does. Sure he gets on base but what’s he gonna hit, 12-15 HRs a season? Neto has heart but isn’t anything special right now. Detmers has been a mess his last 3 starts, he’s inconsistent. I’m most excited for O’Hoppe, maybe he turns out to be a Buster Posey with more pop….but maybe not, too soon to tell. 

I have a feeling Angel fans overestimate how good they are because compared to what else is on the farm they look promising. On most other teams Neto & Schanuel would still be on the farm.

If Anderson can keep pitching at an ERA below 3.50, every contender will make an offer.  His contract is also team friendly for a SP.  

Rengifo has value for the bat alone.  Drury has value if the bat improves.  Estevez would bring back a nice return.  I would trade Sandoval as a change of scenery candidate, hoping I could get a decent minor league SP in return. 

O'Hoppe, Neto, Schanuel, and Adell have to stay as part of a core of young talent.  Same for Detmers and Soriano.  Dana and Kerry are untouchable, IMO.