• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (4/24/24 1:07pm): Orioles @ Angels: Anderson on the mound, Trout @ DH, still no Drury

12 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

And the score was 2-0, as Blum noted, not 3-0 like Washington said.

I just assumed it’s a typo from Blum, thinking there’s no way an MLB manager doesn’t know the score of the game lol. 

Both are correct. 

Wash should have used someone else. But Suarez was expected to simply not give up 4 runs.

That said, if the score is still 2-0, the Angels don't score 5 runs, at least not in the manner they did. Being up 6 runs, Baltimore is going to have an entirely different approach than if they're only up 2 runs. Trout probably gets pitched differently. Ward the same. 

I'm not excusing the decision to bring in Suarez. I'm just saying it's easy to say the exact scenario would have played out on offense when there's no way you could possibly know that.

8 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

I just assumed it’s a typo from Blum, thinking there’s no way an MLB manager doesn’t know the score of the game lol. 

It was 2-0 when Suarez came in.  He gave up 4 runs. Either Washington misspoke or he was just confused. 

3 hours ago, m0nkey said:

I don’t know who was available but there is an off day tomorrow 

i hope suarez doesn't read sam blum's tweets. this one is gonna sting.

I thought he should have gone with Fulmer hoping he could pitch the rest of the game or at least 2 innings.

But here's the question: Is Hicks worth a roster spot, or would you prefer using his spot for another bullpen arm, especially since we already have 4 outfielders?

Both Suarez and Hicks are just wasting roster spots. 

Just now, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I thought he should have gone with Fulmer hoping he could pitch the rest of the game or at least 2 innings.

But here's the question: Is Hicks worth a roster spot, or would you prefer using his spot for another bullpen arm, especially since we already have 4 outfielders?

Both Suarez and Hicks are just wasting roster spots. 

You can’t carry more than 13 pitchers.

24 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Well, that's ridiculous. No wonder there's an increase in injuries with these stupid limitations and overworking of pitchers.

13 pitchers should be more than enough. For years, pitching staffs were 10, maybe 11. 

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Well, that's ridiculous. No wonder there's an increase in injuries with these stupid limitations and overworking of pitchers.

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

13 pitchers should be more than enough. For years, pitching staffs were 10, maybe 11. 

Baseball pitchers are the new football players.  Pitchers know that throwing max effort every single pitch is going to blow out their arms/elbows/shoulders, much like football players know that playing football is going to cost them later in life.  GMs only want pitchers that throw 95+ with a 88+ slider.  Velocity is the name of the game.  Back then pitchers would conserve their stuff and not throw max effort every single pitch due to it being a long season and the expectation of going the full game.  Pitchers were taught to "pitch" and not "throw," meaning mixing up pitches, changing speeds, changing arm slots, hitting your spots.  All of that is out the window now with the max velo approach.  I really miss the days that the starters throws 120+ pitches and goes more than 6 innings. 

10 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Both are correct. 

Wash should have used someone else. But Suarez was expected to simply not give up 4 runs.

That said, if the score is still 2-0, the Angels don't score 5 runs, at least not in the manner they did. Being up 6 runs, Baltimore is going to have an entirely different approach than if they're only up 2 runs. Trout probably gets pitched differently. Ward the same. 

I'm not excusing the decision to bring in Suarez. I'm just saying it's easy to say the exact scenario would have played out on offense when there's no way you could possibly know that.

And let’s be honest. The Angels swing the bats a lot better in low pressure situations ie, down big. 

2 hours ago, Halo in Chicago said:

And let’s be honest. The Angels swing the bats a lot better in low pressure situations ie, down big. 

Like they have been in a high-pressure situation the last decade. 

15 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

There's no point having Suarez in the pen if you aren't going to use him. And down 2 runs late is perfectly reasonable.

Suarez is just unable to produce. So he's probably gonna get the boot.

I’m already opening a lip gloss store in SLC.  Gonna get rich once he’s sent down.

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

And starters were pitching well over 100 pitches, and there seemed to be a lot less arm, shoulder, and elbow issues. Nolan Ryan pitched his entire career without a sore arm or arm injury of any kind, up until his next to last batter of his career at age 46. And he regularly pitched well beyond 100 pitches per game. Same for Tom Seaver, Gaylord Perry, neither of which suffered serious arm injuries over the courses of their very long and distinguished careers. Perry pitched effectively well into his 40's and received his second Cy Young Award at age 40. They and most pitchers of their era had no need for large pitching staffs. So, yeah, 13 is plenty. They could get by with 12, just make sure they are all talented. The relievers we have been getting for the past several seasons it wouldn't matter if we had 50 of them.

15 minutes ago, EDinTUSTIN said:

And starters were pitching well over 100 pitches, and there seemed to be a lot less arm, shoulder, and elbow issues. Nolan Ryan pitched his entire career without a sore arm or arm injury of any kind, up until his next to last batter of his career at age 46. And he regularly pitched well beyond 100 pitches per game. Same for Tom Seaver, Gaylord Perry, neither of which suffered serious arm injuries over the courses of their very long and distinguished careers. Perry pitched effectively well into his 40's and received his second Cy Young Award at age 40. They and most pitchers of their era had no need for large pitching staffs. So, yeah, 13 is plenty. They could get by with 12, just make sure they are all talented. The relievers we have been getting for the past several seasons it wouldn't matter if we had 50 of them.

I'm not even talking about in the Ryan and Seaver era. Having more than 11 pitchers on a roster seems like something that has maybe only been around for a decade or so, if that? I'm too lazy to go do the research.