• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A’s release renderings of new Las Vegas domed stadium that resembles famous Sydney Opera House

23 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

It’s an opinion, and reasonable people can disagree. I’m not here to make fun or insult anyone. I’m just laying out reasons why Aces wouldn’t be a good name if the A’s had to change it. As to the relative merits of the NBA v WNBA, the NBA no longer has fundamentals or defense. Double dribbling go uncalled, and it’s just an individual shooting contest now. I’ve been a Lakers fan since the Showtime days, and it’s not nearly as interesting now as it used to be as a game. Anyway, I’ll leave it at that since this is more about how the A’s released their renderings. I’ve laid out why I think that would likely not work either in other posts.

And I am just posting comments for entertainment.

52 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

It’s an opinion, and reasonable people can disagree. I’m not here to make fun or insult anyone. I’m just laying out reasons why Aces wouldn’t be a good name if the A’s had to change it. As to the relative merits of the NBA v WNBA, the NBA no longer has fundamentals or defense. Double dribbling go uncalled, and it’s just an individual shooting contest now. I’ve been a Lakers fan since the Showtime days, and it’s not nearly as interesting now as it used to be as a game. Anyway, I’ll leave it at that since this is more about how the A’s released their renderings. I’ve laid out why I think that would likely not work either in other posts.

I agree with most of what you say. Aces wouldn’t work, they probably would stay with Athletics or need to rebrand the entire team which would probably be best, in my opinion. 

Im also skeptical they could draw decent crowds for 81 games even if they were playing well. Las Vegas is pretty dead on the strip mid week if there aren’t conventions and things going on, and I think there a lot more thrilling things to do in Vegas than watch a baseball game unless it’s the playoffs, or you’re a huge baseball fan. 

2 hours ago, Jeremiah said:

I still have doubts that this will work. Fisher would be moving his MLB team from the nation’s number 10 media market to the 40th, making it easily the smallest market in baseball. That’s hard to sell for 81 home dates, and the broadcast deal will reflect that market size. He’s not magically going to start spending $150M/year on a roster after acquiring all of the new debt. He’d have to sell out the stadium for 30 years to pay off the bonds. Not going to happen. Plus, in Vegas he’d be the 4th or 5th option for fan interest and dollars. In order, it goes: Golden Knights, Rebels/Raiders, Aces, Aviators. The Knights set the standard for how a new team here should do. The locals won’t accept a pro team that’s a loser. It’s why the Raiders have had such a meh reception here (they rank 31st in attendance). The A’s would slot somewhere around where the Aces and Aviators do. It’s not a good look for MLB. The move makes no sense.

Smaller markets like Vegas can handle 2 pro franchises from the big four leagues. That's it. When a third team is placed it almost never works. Four is out of the question. That's why I have doubts that the A's will actually move to Vegas. 

And to be fair, the WNBA Aces may be popular in Vegas, but going on the gear, which is cool, is not a good measuring stick. The WNBA is not a legit competitor for attention from NFL, NBA, MLB, or NHL leagues.

The Aviators would ultimately have to move, as there is no way the city supports a AAA team AND a MLB team. It just isn't big enough. As they just built a nice new ballpark, I just don't see the A's moving there. 

I see the NBA as a more likely third team, as they can just play at the Golden Knights arena.

5 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Also, not having a dome for a summer league, when temps can reach 115 in Vegas? C'mon. They're not serious.

That’s the weird thing about these renderings. The first ones featured a retractable roof. That’s what the A’s used to sell this idea to the state legislature. It’s also what MLB wants. They don’t want any more fixed domes. The A’s say the full-time closed stadium is more comfortable for the fans, but ARI has been playing in a retractable-roof stadium since 1998. That glass wall looks like it would have a huge greenhouse effect. I think it’s more they can’t afford the added cost. This stadium doesn’t look like it’ll sit on 9 acres, which would be the smallest footprint in MLB (Target Field is technically 8.5 acres, but its footprint is 10.5). There’s so much of this deal that makes little sense. I don’t think this area can sustain 33,000/game for 81 dates in the summer.

Isn’t this site on the strip where the Tropicana was?

Maybe they should have build a ballpark attached to a hotel, where the rooms have balconies to watch the games, where room guests would effectively have their own luxury suite for the game.  They could build it in a way where a server could get to them from the ballpark side of the balcony to sell food/drinks.

15 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Isn’t this site on the strip where the Tropicana was?

Maybe they should have build a ballpark attached to a hotel, where the rooms have balconies to watch the games, where room guests would effectively have their own luxury suite for the game.  They could build it in a way where a server could get to them from the ballpark side of the balcony to sell food/drinks.

This is correct. Now Bally’s needs to show what they’re doing with the rest of the property. It’s set to be demolished near the end of April. Both Fisher and Bally’s kept saying each was waiting for the other to provide renderings before anything can move forward. So we’ll see where it goes from here. Supposedly it’ll be a new resort and entertainment complex, something that would be more than what was on the Trop site previously. That’s an interesting idea you have. I know SkyDome has had a hotel inside of it since it’s opening in ‘89. They could perhaps do something like that as well.

The more I look at the renderings, the more it looks like one of those Bloomin' Onions from Outback Steakhouse.

Just now, T.G. said:

The more I look at the renderings, the more it looks like one of those Bloomin' Onions from Outback Steakhouse.

or maybe an artichoke.

3 minutes ago, T.G. said:

please don't mention food right now. my wife brought home lunch for me last night and when i went to heat it up an hour ago, it turned out to be chicken enchiladas instead of cheese. i'm hungry and feel cheated out a decent meal.

6 minutes ago, Tank said:

please don't mention food right now. my wife brought home lunch for me last night and when i went to heat it up an hour ago, it turned out to be chicken enchiladas instead of cheese. i'm hungry and feel cheated out a decent meal.

I won't mention it...

image.jpeg

10 hours ago, TroutField said:

Even the mayor of Vegas said they are better off figuring out how to stay in Oakland. It’s been weird since the beginning. Almost seem unwelcome in Vegas 

That isn't what she was saying.

7 hours ago, Jeremiah said:

Nothing wrong with Las Vegas Athletics.   Not sure why it should be changed

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

She did say they’d be better off staying in Oakland. She was pretty clear about that. Under competent and interested ownership, she’s 100% correct. That’s the caveat. What did you infer from those comments?

4 hours ago, stormngt said:

"I thought, this does not make sense, and so why is it happening?" Goodman said. "And then I thought, well, because they really want to stay in Oakland, they want to be on the water, they have that magnificent dream. Yet they can't get it done."

When the podcast hosts asked Goodman if it would be a "good thing" if the A's do complete their relocation to Las Vegas, she responded by saying: "I personally think they've gotta figure out a way to stay in Oakland and make their dream come true."

I mean, not sure how you can read those quotes and come to a different conclusion. But whatever lol

11 hours ago, TroutField said:

"I thought, this does not make sense, and so why is it happening?" Goodman said. "And then I thought, well, because they really want to stay in Oakland, they want to be on the water, they have that magnificent dream. Yet they can't get it done."

When the podcast hosts asked Goodman if it would be a "good thing" if the A's do complete their relocation to Las Vegas, she responded by saying: "I personally think they've gotta figure out a way to stay in Oakland and make their dream come true."

I mean, not sure how you can read those quotes and come to a different conclusion. But whatever lol

You've never heard of a politician saying one thing while meaning another? You can choose to take everything politicians say at face value if you want I guess. 😂

24 minutes ago, jeskola said:

You've never heard of a politician saying one thing while meaning another? You can choose to take everything politicians say at face value if you want I guess. 😂

So, again, the question then is, what do you think she meant? What do you infer from those comments? I live in Vegas, and I’ve heard her and her husband (our previous mayor) speak many times. They are both, for better or worse, the type to say exactly what they think. She famously said in CNN that she wanted locals to be guinea pigs to see what Covid does. In the stadium case, the public money has already been earmarked. There is no better deal to be had by trashing the deal or saying how Fisher’s plan makes no sense (it doesn’t, tbh). That’s my take, anyway.