• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A’s release renderings of new Las Vegas domed stadium that resembles famous Sydney Opera House

20 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I am frequently wrong but I am starting to think that they never make it to Vegas.  Too many questions still out there. 

Even the mayor of Vegas said they are better off figuring out how to stay in Oakland. It’s been weird since the beginning. Almost seem unwelcome in Vegas 

2 minutes ago, bruin5 said:

So, they will spend probably over $1 billion to provide shade on 100 degree nights? I’m not a fan of enclosed ballparks, but this design makes no sense given the location. 

You do know it is an enclosed stadium? That opening is glass. 

19 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

A’s stands for Athletics.  OK, so it would be the Las Vegas Athletics.

How about keep the A’s, but change what the A stands for, and be the Las Vegas Aces?

Well, we already have the back-to-back WNBA champion Las Vegas Aces, who are owned by Mark Davis, and draw about 10K/game. He despises John Fisher. No way he dilutes that local name recognition. There are also the AAA Reno Aces. If OAK makes a deal where they keep the name and visual program, I don’t see Aces as the new name. Maybe something that references the old west history of the area. We used to have an AHL team called the Wranglers. All of that being said, I think there are still legitimate doubts as to the validity of this move. We shall see.

1 minute ago, Jeremiah said:

Well, we already have the back-to-back WNBA champion Las Vegas Aces, who are owned by Mark Davis, and draw about 10K/game. He despises John Fisher. No way he dilutes that local name recognition. There are also the AAA Reno Aces. If OAK makes a deal where they keep the name and visual program, I don’t see Aces as the new name. Maybe something that references the old west history of the area. We used to have an AHL team called the Wranglers. All of that being said, I think there are still legitimate doubts as to the validity of this move. We shall see.

I didn’t know about the existing Aces in the WNBA.  Maybe the existing Aces could change their name to the Queens.  Sell them on the idea that a name change can generate revenue from all the loyal fans buying all new gear.  They would probably make hundreds of dollars.

I still have doubts that this will work. Fisher would be moving his MLB team from the nation’s number 10 media market to the 40th, making it easily the smallest market in baseball. That’s hard to sell for 81 home dates, and the broadcast deal will reflect that market size. He’s not magically going to start spending $150M/year on a roster after acquiring all of the new debt. He’d have to sell out the stadium for 30 years to pay off the bonds. Not going to happen. Plus, in Vegas he’d be the 4th or 5th option for fan interest and dollars. In order, it goes: Golden Knights, Rebels/Raiders, Aces, Aviators. The Knights set the standard for how a new team here should do. The locals won’t accept a pro team that’s a loser. It’s why the Raiders have had such a meh reception here (they rank 31st in attendance). The A’s would slot somewhere around where the Aces and Aviators do. It’s not a good look for MLB. The move makes no sense.

14 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I didn’t know about the existing Aces in the WNBA.  Maybe the existing Aces could change their name to the Queens.  Sell them on the idea that a name change can generate revenue from all the loyal fans buying all new gear.  They would probably make hundreds of dollars.

I mean, you can make fun, but I live here, and I’ve seen plenty of people wearing Aces gear around town. They are their league’s biggest draw. It’s a better basketball product than the NBA is, and Adam Silver already has his eyes on Vegas for NBA expansion. Since the NBA and WNBA still share a close business connection, there’s no way they would allow that brand to be diluted locally. Besides Sacramento’s team is already called the Monarchs, so the royalty name is already gone. 😉

27 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

That’s an airball, fittingly.

It’s an opinion, and reasonable people can disagree. I’m not here to make fun or insult anyone. I’m just laying out reasons why Aces wouldn’t be a good name if the A’s had to change it. As to the relative merits of the NBA v WNBA, the NBA no longer has fundamentals or defense. Double dribbling go uncalled, and it’s just an individual shooting contest now. I’ve been a Lakers fan since the Showtime days, and it’s not nearly as interesting now as it used to be as a game. Anyway, I’ll leave it at that since this is more about how the A’s released their renderings. I’ve laid out why I think that would likely not work either in other posts.