• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

14 hours ago, Tank said:

once again, i find it oddly curious how many here think the angels are an appealing team to any free agents of note.

"how come arte is so cheap? why didn't arte sign xxxxxx?"

players have to want to come here. right now, they don't. 

we're not signing anyone of note this year. probably not next year, either (unless there's a dramatic turnaround in how the team plays this year). 

This is part of the blowback from Ohtani leaving.

When we had Ohtani and Trout, that was the most attractive time for an FA to come to the Angels.  If there was ever a time to go all-in, it was before the 2022 season.  

Now, Ohtani's left, which speaks volumes to every other FA - did you really think Yamamoto or Imanaga was going to go to the no-hope team that couldn't keep Ohtani?  They have their pride - no one wants some other guy's reject.     

We're pretty much a place to get a paycheck when a top-tier team doesn't want you.

There are stories about how the Braves and the Dodgers orgs are great places to play, while the Angels is kind of a "meh" place to play - they take care of their players and their families in ways large and small, while we have stories about starving minor leaguers sleeping in their cars.

The story pretty much says everything to me

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2022-04-29/dodgers-owner-anniversary-kasten-magic-mark-walter-colletti-mattingly-kershaw

Arte could've lured away every Dodger scout and development guy with McCourt in charge - I said so at the time.  He could've bought their development system at fire sale prices.  

Arte's not cheap - he's just an idiot in what he spends his money on. 

He's the guy who spends $4000 on custom rims to put on his 1998 Honda Civic with rust spots and a bad transmission.  

13 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

When we had Ohtani and Trout, that was the most attractive time for an FA to come to the Angels.  If there was ever a time to go all-in, it was before the 2022 season.  

Now, Ohtani's left, which speaks volumes to every other FA - did you really think Yamamoto or Imanaga was going to go to the no-hope team that couldn't keep Ohtani?  They have their pride - no one wants some other guy's reject.     

We're pretty much a place to get a paycheck when a top-tier team doesn't want you.

There are stories about how the Braves and the Dodgers orgs are great places to play, while the Angels is kind of a "meh" place to play - they take care of their players and their families in ways large and small, while we have stories about starving minor leaguers sleeping in their cars.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2022-04-29/dodgers-owner-anniversary-kasten-magic-mark-walter-colletti-mattingly-kershaw

Arte could've lured away every Dodger scout and development guy with McCourt in charge - I said so at the time.  He could've bought their development system at fire sale prices.  

He's the guy who spends $4000 on custom rims to put on his 1998 Honda Civic with rust spots and a bad transmission.  

Dodgers are a great place to play, but I didn't think, apart from maybe T Hernandez, players are taking discounts to play there. 

They're offering the most money as well.

14 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Lot of players left some contracts seem to be getting smaller. Many teams could be at their budget limit. Maybe lot of bargains could be available the later it gets. I think SF still will be big spender.

I think they land Bellinger.

I still think we can get Snell and have a decent off-season 

24 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

5E7CBC2F-02F2-4825-9F37-89CFDF647710.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

doesn’t care about winning just flashy signings as a way to put people in seats.

Bingo. They’ll say they want to win and of course want to win, but I really think Arte’s main goal has been based more around simply entertaining casual fans with familiar names and feigning a serious effort to win. It’s not just big money guys either. Kinsler, Lincecum, Syndergaard, Harvey, Lucroy…casual fans will see these names and recall them from their peaks without realizing they’ve cratered and get excited, buy tickets, sell some jerseys, tune in long enough, rinse and repeat. It’s why he kept Ohtani. And he’s been open about this, he’s said all along he’s doing it for the fans and entertainment so not sure why it would be surprising at this point. And he’s made bank as a result. 

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Bingo. They’ll say they want to win and of course want to win, but I really think Arte’s main goal has been based more around simply entertaining casual fans with familiar names and feigning a serious effort to win. It’s not just big money guys either. Kinsler, Lincecum, Syndergaard, Harvey, Lucroy…casual fans will see these names and recall them from their peaks without realizing they’ve cratered and get excited, buy tickets, sell some jerseys, tune in long enough, rinse and repeat. It’s why he kept Ohtani. And he’s been open about this, he’s said all along he’s doing it for the fans and entertainment so not sure why it would be surprising at this point. And he’s made bank as a result. 

And we’re stuck with him.

🤬

I wonder if it was the Angels.

MLB Rumors: 1 Team Would've Paid Shōta Imanaga 'More Than Double' His Cubs Contract

It appears Shōta Imanaga really just wanted to be a Chicago Cub.

MLB Network's Jon Heyman reported during an appearance on 670 The Score that "there was at least one team willing to more than double the guarantee" Imanaga received from the Cubs.

Imanaga agreed to a multi-year deal with the Cubs on Tuesday with an average annual value in the $15 million range, MLB Network's Jon Morosi reported.

It's unclear which team was willing to offer Imanaga a larger deal.

The Boston Red Sox, San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Angels were once considered candidates to land the Japanese pitcher. However, Heyman reported earlier this week that the Giants and Angels were no longer considered landing spots.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10104429-mlb-rumors-1-team-wouldve-paid-shota-imanaga-more-than-double-his-cubs-contract

6 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

I wonder if it was the Angels.

MLB Rumors: 1 Team Would've Paid Shōta Imanaga 'More Than Double' His Cubs Contract

It appears Shōta Imanaga really just wanted to be a Chicago Cub.

MLB Network's Jon Heyman reported during an appearance on 670 The Score that "there was at least one team willing to more than double the guarantee" Imanaga received from the Cubs.

Imanaga agreed to a multi-year deal with the Cubs on Tuesday with an average annual value in the $15 million range, MLB Network's Jon Morosi reported.

It's unclear which team was willing to offer Imanaga a larger deal.

The Boston Red Sox, San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Angels were once considered candidates to land the Japanese pitcher. However, Heyman reported earlier this week that the Giants and Angels were no longer considered landing spots.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10104429-mlb-rumors-1-team-wouldve-paid-shota-imanaga-more-than-double-his-cubs-contract

Probably the Dodgers.

Just now, Taylor said:

This would 100% be the correct attitude if the Angels weren't in a decade-long playoff drought.

Judging an unfinished product is silly, IMO. 

And if the Angels end up saving their money for next year's FA crop, I'm find with that too.