• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

14 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

5 years/$75 million remaining for someone (Buxton) who has averaged only 70 games the past five full seasons would not be the best use of that money.

Kepler would be the better idea money wise (1 year/$10 million left), plus more durable and a LHH unlike Buxton.   Allows one more season of OF depth while assessing it.

You would want Kepler not Buxton he is always hurt. 

37 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I always wonder how a player is approached on deals like this. Players agent call teams or do teams have this big board and call agent. How many people are working with Perry on calls to players. I know every team bring in players on minor league deals for depth hoping some can really help. I remember when Brendan Donelly came off scrap heap to be big help.

12 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I get that..but hell even Rendon was primarily a healthy guy you could count on when we signed him. 

You just never know. 

The worry is that Buxton has only exceeded 92 games once since 2015 MLB debut.   He is either totally injury prone or a combo of that and durability issues.  

The bat has been solid enough the past 5 seasons, when healthy (mid .800s OPS).  But, the RISP hitting has generally only been in the mid/upper .600s), well below non-RISP OPS.

Defense has taken a hit the past two seasons (0 dWAR).

Edited by Angel Oracle

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

A trade for both Kepler AND Polanco would be intriguing.  

Position player depth would be solid, and would only be a 1 year/$20.5 million hit combined for both players.  

Would still leave them some $45-50 million under the 2024 tax threshold, to only be used for pitching.

Very curious to see what it would take to acquire something like that, though.  Angels obviously don't have much depth in the minors given all the moves they made in '23, so I don't think it'd be as easy as the Renfroe/Urshela ones.  They'd be taken on roughly the same amount of total salary for '24 as they did for those two in '23, but I think it's fair to say that Kepler and Polanco are both a little better than Renfroe and Urshela.

8 hours ago, Taylor said:

Great, even more positions for Anthony to not play because of injury.

Well, be fair to Rendon, B-R has correctly listed his primary position as IL.  So he's filling his primary spot in the lineup most days.

rendon_il.gif

Edited by Lazorko Saves

20 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok. Find a young player that plays 1st and 3rd in free agency that puts up Turner’s numbers that won’t require a 5-8 year deal. Let me know who that is.  

You are right no younger players out there. Turner not a 3B anymore. I feel he would want to go to contender, Arizona be nice fit. Angels need lefty bat in lineup like a Brandon Belt or Joc Pederson.

38 minutes ago, BTH said:

Hate to keep being this guy, but Stroman is another player who basically has zero margin for error. He's great an inducing ground balls and preventing hitters from barreling up, but his other metrics are...not great. If you can get him at a reasonable AAV for 2 or 3 years, sure, maybe it's worth a shot--but he seems like a guy who has more downside than upside, given his skill set. 

Screenshot_20231218_133545_Chrome.jpg

41 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Hate to keep being this guy, but Stroman is another player who basically has zero margin for error. He's great an inducing ground balls and preventing hitters from barreling up, but his other metrics are...not great. If you can get him at a reasonable AAV for 2 or 3 years, sure, maybe it's worth a shot--but he seems like a guy who has more downside than upside, given his skill set. 

Screenshot_20231218_133545_Chrome.jpg

Yep. 

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

I get that..but hell even Rendon was primarily a healthy guy you could count on when we signed him. 

You just never know. 

understood. the upside for him is off the charts.

the problem is that he can't stay healthy, and he has no history to show otherwise. we've reached the point with trout where everything ends up being 45 days on the IL now at minimum. adding buxton MIGHT work out differently, but there isn't enough optimism from where i sit to warrant a trade for him.