• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani news coming today?

Taylor

If anyone can honestly say they've never seen a no name anon account on Twitter break news of a sign or trade, then feel free to shit on people linking to them.

Nobody thinks they're anywhere close to as reliable as Rosenthal or Passan, but there are people in organizations who have inside info or know someone who does. Some of the people on here, for instance - like Chuck. Obviously the difference is the anons can't be vetted, but that's why no one takes them too seriously. I'd still rather hear a rumor, even if it's greater than a 99% chance they're wrong. And it's not like the big guys are never wrong. Boob Nightengale, anyone? Heyman: Arson Judge to San Francisco? 

This is a discussion forum, for goodness sake. Lion in Texas was probably 100% full of shit, but at least he gave us something to talk and joke about last offseason. People need to lighten up and enjoy the hot (cold) stove season. 

Am I the only one who thinks it’s actually insane to give Ohtani more than $450-500 million?  I actually think the only team that should offer him that much is the Angels. But for another team to risk that much money for a DH that just had a second TJ surgery? He’s a unicorn because he does both at a very high level but what if he’s just a decent pitcher with a 3.90 ERA that pitches every 6th day. Some team is giving him $50 million a year?  It’s way too much risk. Yes I know he’s got a great bat, but he’s a DH. Sure he can play outfield if he decides not to pitch anymore but that won’t happen until he’s 32 or 33.  How many outfielders are plus defenders at that age?  And none are plus defenders after taking a decade off from playing the outfield. 
Welcome to my Ted Talk. 

Just now, Stradling said:

Am I the only one who thinks it’s actually insane to give Ohtani more than $450-500 million?  I actually think the only team that should offer him that much is the Angels. 

Why should the Angels offer him that if other teams shouldn’t?

I’d argue that the Angels shouldn’t offer him that much because it’ll be impossible to build a good team around him when you’re paying him $45-$50 million. Especially when he can’t pitch in year one.

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Am I the only one who thinks it’s actually insane to give Ohtani more than $450-500 million?  I actually think the only team that should offer him that much is the Angels. But for another team to risk that much money for a DH that just had a second TJ surgery? He’s a unicorn because he does both at a very high level but what if he’s just a decent pitcher with a 3.90 ERA that pitches every 6th day. Some team is giving him $50 million a year?  It’s way too much risk. Yes I know he’s got a great bat, but he’s a DH. Sure he can play outfield if he decides not to pitch anymore but that won’t happen until he’s 32 or 33.  How many outfielders are plus defenders at that age?  And none are plus defenders after taking a decade off from playing the outfield. 
Welcome to my Ted Talk. 

Agree.  Angels should pass on Ohtani and rebuild.  It's time.  (Won't happen, but it should.)

7 minutes ago, BTH said:

Why should the Angels offer him that if other teams shouldn’t?

I’d argue that the Angels shouldn’t offer him that much because it’ll be impossible to build a good team around him when you’re paying him $45-$50 million. Especially when he can’t pitch in year one.

Same reason the Twins re-signed Correa. There’s a comfort level with him as a player. They know him better than any other team. 

58 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Welcome to my Ted Talk. 

Angel's should be one of last teams to offer 500. They have so many needs. Many other top teams need so many fewer players and an Ohtani would push them over the top.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Welcome to my Ted Talk. 

I agree with this, but only if Artie goes over cap which he has stated in the past.

If not I would add to our current team in free agency there are a few younger international players I would take a chance on. Also believe our team under new manager will grow more than we realize.

Reality is that if Trout and Rendon play to their capabilities (big if) and stay healthy(bigger if) we have a chance.

I agree.  I think the issue I keep seeing is the lack of depth in the minors.  Last year was (I think) an outlier with all the injuries.  In the last calendar year, however, the depth has been decimated with trades and guys out of options.  I think the Angels are close to fielding a really good team, but I also think it's going to be a paper-thin 40-man roster where they will be relying on guys who are flawed and incapable of even replacement-level play.  This is where a rebuild might make sense. 

Even though Rendon rolls off payroll in three years, Trout and Ohtani mega contracts will make it challenging to field a complete, balanced team without an about-face in how Arte views the luxury tax. Plus, Ohtani creates a lot of roster gymnastics surrounding the DH and a six-man rotation. 

It will be tough to see him go, but I think the Angels got his best years. We should be thankful for that and be shrewd with spreading around the FA dollars going forward. 

Personally I would rather invest in Yamamoto and sign a Soler/JD Martinez type to a short term deal to cushion the offensive loss. Angels could probably get Yamamoto and another #2-ish starter for the AAV Ohtani will command.  As great as Ohtani is, I think we are possibly a better club now and in the future if we let him walk.