• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2024 MLB Free Agent List... Who do you want?

Arizona Diamondbacks: Lourdes Gurriel Jr., Evan Longoria, Tommy Pham

Atlanta Braves: Jesse Chavez, Kevin Pillar

Baltimore Orioles: Kyle Gibson, Aaron Hicks, Jack Flaherty, Adam Frazier, Shintaro Fujinami

Boston Red Sox: Adam Duvall, Adalberto Mondesi, James Paxton

Chicago Cubs: Jeimer Candelario, Tyler Duffey, Michael Fulmer, Shane Greene

Chicago White Sox: Elvis Andrus, Yasmani Grandal, Bryan Shaw, José Ureña

Cincinnati Reds: Harrison Bader, Buck Farmer

Cleveland Guardians: Kole Calhoun, Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo López

Colorado Rockies: Chase Anderson, Chris Flexen, Brent Suter

Detroit Tigers: Matthew Boyd, José Cisnero

Houston Astros: Michael Brantley, Martín Maldonado, Phil Maton, Ryne Stanek

Kansas City Royals: Matt Duffy, Zack Greinke, Brad Keller

Los Angeles Angels: C.J. Cron, Randal Grichuk, Mike Moustakas, Shohei Ohtani, Gio Urshela

Los Angeles Dodgers: Ryan Brasier, Jason Heyward, Kiké Hernández, Clayton Kershaw, Jake Marisnick, J.D. Martinez, Shelby Miller, Jimmy Nelson, David Peralta, Amed Rosario, Julio Urías, Kolten Wong

Miami Marlins: Yuli Gurriel, Matt Moore, Jorge Soler, Joey Wendle

Milwaukee Brewers: Victor Caratini, Andrew Chafin, Josh Donaldson, Darin Ruf, Carlos Santana, Justin Wilson, Jesse Winker

Minnesota Twins: Joey Gallo, Sonny Gray, Dallas Keuchel, Kenta Maeda, Tyler Mahle, Emilio Pagán, Donovan Solano, Michael A. Taylor

New York Mets: Carlos Carrasco

New York Yankees: Isiah Kiner-Falefa, Zach McAllister, Keynan Middleton, Frankie Montas, Wandy Peralta, Luis Severino, Luke Weaver

Oakland Athletics: Tony Kemp, Trevor May

Philadelphia Phillies: Rhys Hoskins, Craig Kimbrel, Michael Lorenzen, Aaron Nola

Pittsburgh Pirates: Andrew McCutchen, Vincent Velasquez

San Diego Padres: Ji Man Choi, Garrett Cooper, Luis García, Josh Hader, Rich Hill, Drew Pomeranz, Jurickson Profar, Gary Sánchez, Blake Snell

San Francisco Giants: Scott Alexander, John Brebbia, Brandon Crawford, Jake Junis, Joc Pederson, Roberto Pérez, Alex Wood

Seattle Mariners: Teoscar Hernández, Dominic Leone, Tom Murphy

St. Louis Cardinals: Drew VerHagen, Adam Wainwright

Tampa Bay Rays: Jake Diekman, Chris Devenski, Robert Stephenson

Texas Rangers: Aroldis Chapman, Mitch Garver, Robbie Grossman, Travis Jankowski, Ian Kennedy, Brad Miller, Jordan Montgomery, Jake Odorizzi, Martín Pérez, Will Smith, Chris Stratton

Toronto Blue Jays: Brandon Belt, Matt Chapman, Jordan Hicks, Kevin Kiermaier, Whit Merrifield, Hyun Jin Ryu

Washington Nationals: C.J. Edwards

• SlappyUtilityMIF changed the title to 2024 MLB Free Agent List... Who do you want?

If they plan to continue “going for it” I would target:

1 high-end SP (Yamamoto, Nola, Snell, Montgomery, or Groy)

2 relievers (Reynaldo, Hicks, Moore, Brebbia, Stephenson)

2 complementary bats (Gallo, Grossman, Santana, Solano)

I have varying interest in the following:

C/DH Mitch Garver

1B/3B/DH - Moose

2B/LF - Whit Merrifield

LF - Lourdes Gurriel JR

SP - Aaron Nola, Sonny Gray, Tyler Mahle (2 year deal should be back from TJ in May/June local kid.), Jordan Montgomery (I deal one of our lefties)

RP - Will Smith, Robert Stephensen, Reynaldo Lopez, Andrew Chafin, Matt Moore, Jordan Hicks, Josh Hader, John Brebbia (I sign 3 relievers)

My bullpen thoughts depend, if we are shortening the game or extending the young starters and going to a 5 man rotation?

5 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I have varying interest in the following:

C/DH Mitch Garver

1B/3B/DH - Moose

2B/LF - Whit Merrifield

LF - Lourdes Gurriel JR

SP - Aaron Nola, Sonny Gray, Tyler Mahle (2 year deal should be back from TJ in May/June local kid.), Jordan Montgomery (I deal one of our lefties)

RP - Will Smith, Robert Stephensen, Reynaldo Lopez, Andrew Chafin, Matt Moore, Jordan Hicks, Josh Hader, John Brebbia (I sign 3 relievers)

My bullpen thoughts depend, if we are shortening the game or extending the young starters and going to a 5 man rotation?

I like your list.

I'd add Stroman

JD Martinez if ohtani leaves

bellinger unless his tag is absolutely crazy

I'd explore Bauer as well

There is no point to be paying for FA this year.  The halos are not going to come close to a playoff spot.   Arte is gutting the franchise, and created Kaos in the front office and staff.    Any big expenditure and long term contract will only further handcuff the franchise for no tangible return.

Better to focus on developing the young talent and farm system until they can offload Rendone's contract, then see where they are contention wise and spend $$ then.  

It will suck for Trout, but he has a nice place at the beach and can enjoy his remaining years without any pressure.

8 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

There is no point to be paying for FA this year.  The halos are not going to come close to a playoff spot.   Arte is gutting the franchise, and created Kaos in the front office and staff.    Any big expenditure and long term contract will only further handcuff the franchise for no tangible return.

Better to focus on developing the young talent and farm system until they can offload Rendone's contract, then see where they are contention wise and spend $$ then.  

It will suck for Trout, but he has a nice place at the beach and can enjoy his remaining years without any pressure.

I truly believe if the Angels sign Ohtani that if they can land one of the top SP starters on the FA market, plus a couple solid relievers who @BTH identified above, they can compete with the best of them (Astros, Rangers and Mariners) next season. 

One thing that's a bonus whether the Angels sign Ohtani or not, is they go back to a 5-man rotation. So you have a top SP, plus Canning, Detmers, Sandoval, Silseth and Anderson to fill out the last four spots. 

If the Angels aren't able to retain Ohtani in FA, they need to sign Jorge Soler and Cody Bellinger IMO to offset, plus a FA SP. They honestly could get 4-5 top guys on offense and pitching for the price of signing Ohtani. 

Lineup if Ohtani is retained:

1B Schanuel

CF Trout

DH Ohtani

2B Drury

LF Rengifo

C  O'Hoppe

3B Rendon

RF Moniak/Adell

SS Neto

Lineup without Ohtani

1B Schanuel

LF Rengifo

CF Trout

RF Bellinger

DH Soler

3B Rendon

C O'Hoppe

LF Moniak/Adell

SS Neto

Rotation: Snell (or insert another top SP), Canning, Detmers, Sandoval, Silseth, Anderson, Davis

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I truly believe if the Angels sign Ohtani that if they can land one of the top SP starters on the FA market, plus a couple solid relievers who @BTH identified above, they can compete with the best of them (Astros, Rangers and Mariners) next season. 

One thing that's a bonus whether the Angels sign Ohtani or not, is they go back to a 5-man rotation. So you have a top SP, plus Canning, Detmers, Sandoval, Silseth and Anderson to fill out the last four spots. 

If the Angels aren't able to retain Ohtani in FA, they need to sign Jorge Soler and Cody Bellinger IMO to offset, plus a FA SP. They honestly could get 4-5 top guys on offense and pitching for the price of signing Ohtani. 

That'd be nice to watch, but this team never comes close to going in the right direction. I just hope for the best.

5 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

I like your list.

I'd add Stroman

JD Martinez if ohtani leaves

bellinger unless his tag is absolutely crazy

I'd explore Bauer as well

All depends on Ohtani. (Which I believe he's either gone or a 2+1 opt out contract. Helps him heal get some innings in 2025 to shop again in 2026. But, then are we going to a 5man or stick with a 6man rotation?

Stroman - if he opts out. Good choice to replace Ohtani as the 1B. I would pair him with a Nola or Snell (But, I would then deal 1 or 2 of our young lefties).

Martinez - same as above if Ohtani is gone he supplies a MOB I would go younger with Gurriel JR.

Bellinger - Good for Left handed bat can play OF, 1B, DH. *If Ohtani leaves he's another Left handed bat to split the righties.

Bauer - I would reach out. But, I wouldn't go crazy on Salary. He needs to show that Japan wasn't a fluke.

Bellinger, Turner, Yamamoto.  

Bellinger to play RF, or 1B if Schaunel  is not ready.  Trout in CF, Ward to LF.  

Turner to DH for most of the ab's there, the rest to be used to give regulars days off.  

Yamamoto to help anchor the staff.  If the Padres are cutting payroll, an inquiry on Snell or Musgrove, if the medicals are clean.  

2 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Bellinger to play RF, or 1B if Schaunel  is not ready.  Trout in CF, Ward to LF.  

Turner to DH for most of the ab's there, the rest to be used to give regulars days off.  

Yamamoto to help anchor the staff.  If the Padres are cutting payroll, an inquiry on Snell or Musgrove, if the medicals are clean.  

Snell is a FA.

5 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

I put Turner at 1B

Am I the only one who is scared that Bellinger turns back into a pumpkin if he comes to the Angels?

I don't think Ohtani is worth resigning (in terms of what he will produce, not revenue he generates) but I wouldn't be upset if they bring him back.

Yamamoto sounds interesting but I haven't seen him pitch.

I wouldn't complain about Nola, Hicks, or Montgomery, but wouldn't be thrilled either.

All BP pieces are just a roll of the dice.

This whole free agent class is just meh at best to me.

3 minutes ago, halodground said:

Am I the only one who is scared that Bellinger turns back into a pumpkin if he comes to the Angels?

Nope. I've also said something similar. I think someone is going to end up massively overpaying for him given how weak the other options are. I think there's a reasonable chance he's a bust.

I wouldn't be upset if they mostly sit out this FA class.

They have to make a run at Ohtani just because he's a unicorn. No way they don't at least make it look like they make a real effort. 

They likely have to add some BP pieces.

But otherwise, I'd be totally ok with waiting to see how young players develop in '24 and going from there.  It's not like the product on the field can be that much worse.

I can totally see Arte waiting for Shohei’s decision before pivoting elsewhere.

So the question is: do other top free agents sign before Ohtani or after?

If it’s after, the Angels may “rebound” with some other free agent.

If it’s before, they may be stuck with like Lorenzen (which @Angels 1961 would love)

there are a lot of guys on that list i'd avoid.

bellinger is one of them. he's just too hot and cold, and we already know how he'll hit if he signs with the angels (hint: it won't be hot).

turner is going to be 39 next year. avoid, avoid, avoid. 

i'd focus on pitching, especially bullpen help. don't care who that might be as long as they don't suck.