• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB Trade Rumors: Angels Offseason Outlook

Also think the non-tender crop could be where the Angels do some shopping. 

At a quick glance, names I see that could be non-tender candidates that could fit some Angels' needs, or could be affordable enough in a trade to pry away (or perhaps swap some of our own non-tender candidates)

Willy Adames, Cavan Biggio, Tyler O'Neill, Trevor Richards, Daluton Varsho, Mike Yastzremski, Austin Slater, LaMonte Wade, JD Davis, Thairo Estrada
Kyle Farmer, Dillon Tate, Miguel Andujar, Jalen Beeks, Harold Ramirez, Andrew Kittredge, Cal Quantrill, James Karinchak, Ramon Laureano

Could see a Barria for Slater sort of deal. Barria seems like a guy that SF would turn around somehow.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

And I’d argue that bringing in a FA outfielder with Ward’s upside has every bit as much risk based on cost, age, years. 

But the benefit of trading Ward and signing a FA outfielder is you get assets in return for Ward to help the team.

So if the risk is the same, I’d take the route that also improves the team in other areas.

2 hours ago, BTH said:

But the benefit of trading Ward and signing a FA outfielder is you get assets in return for Ward to help the team.

So if the risk is the same, I’d take the route that also improves the team in other areas.

So Ward is risky to the Angels but not risky to a team you trade him to?  So if you trade him and he’s risky then the return will also be risky or not very good. 

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So Ward is risky to the Angels but not risky to a team you trade him to?  So if you trade him and he’s risky then the return will also be risky or not very good. 

It might lower his trade value some, but not to the point that the return won’t be good IMO.

18 minutes ago, BTH said:

It might lower his trade value some, but not to the point that the return won’t be good IMO.

That’s part of why I’m angling for ‘24 as almost a pump-and-dump year.

I think most here can agree Perry does two things consistently well; draft and sell. He’s produced a good bit of MLB-ready talent quickly. 

My pitch tries to build on Perry’s strengths. Sign FAs that can be sold off mid-year, re-stock the minors a bit and add some more MLB-ready talent now by dealing Drury, Estévez, and Sandoval, and hope by mid-year the club is in a position where someone like Ward or Rengifo can fetch a nice deadline haul. It’s our last known year with Perry perhaps, let’s take advantage of what he’s done well and hope it builds a strong ‘25+ team that’s very young with abundant team control, and try to capitalize on value now of guys who won’t be cheap or guaranteed to be a part of the rest of the decade.

I honestly think we need to focus more on bringing in FA's than making trades. I don't see any of our guys having a ton of value, outside of maybe O'Hoppe but obviously you don't trade him. Everything else just seems like a lateral move at best.

If something comes up that could help the team going forward than you definitely gotta look at it, but I think we gotta try to keep everyone and hope for the best. 

Drury could certainly be a nice bat to trade to a contender at the deadline. Not gonna fetch a lot but that's about the only guy we have that makes sense to trade.

21 minutes ago, totdprods said:

That’s part of why I’m angling for ‘24 as almost a pump-and-dump year.

I think most here can agree Perry does two things consistently well; draft and sell. He’s produced a good bit of MLB-ready talent quickly. 

My pitch tries to build on Perry’s strengths. Sign FAs that can be sold off mid-year, re-stock the minors a bit and add some more MLB-ready talent now by dealing Drury, Estévez, and Sandoval, and hope by mid-year the club is in a position where someone like Ward or Rengifo can fetch a nice deadline haul. It’s our last known year with Perry perhaps, let’s take advantage of what he’s done well and hope it builds a strong ‘25+ team that’s very young with abundant team control, and try to capitalize on value now of guys who won’t be cheap or guaranteed to be a part of the rest of the decade.

Drury and Estevez trade in off season I agree. Sandoval I keep as he can be traded at deadline in 24 or off season in 24. Need to go to Trout and ask what teams he might be willing to be traded to. Put in 75 to 85 mill on trade with Trout. Rendon struck with him and Anderson.

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Another guy that was very athletic - he was stealing 20+ bases well into his 30s.  The athletic guys tend to buck the trend.  It's the slow power guys who walk that seem to just crater all at once.

so, just to make sure i understand you correctly, you would NOT include pete incaviglia in this list.

51 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I honestly think we need to focus more on bringing in FA's than making trades. I don't see any of our guys having a ton of value, outside of maybe O'Hoppe but obviously you don't trade him. Everything else just seems like a lateral move at best.

If something comes up that could help the team going forward than you definitely gotta look at it, but I think we gotta try to keep everyone and hope for the best. 

Drury could certainly be a nice bat to trade to a contender at the deadline. Not gonna fetch a lot but that's about the only guy we have that makes sense to trade.

You could probably get a Corbin Burnes for Detmers type of deal, but that isn’t great long term.  

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Problem is that it’s not a great FA class. At least not enough that the Angels could spend themselves back into contention or address enough needs. 

Estévez and Drury were both good enough last year that they’d have some interest. Estévez was solid enough that he probably can pry away a fringe Top 100 guy fairly easily, or a Top 10 from a decent farm. 

Drury could be one of the better bats available given the lack of FA hitters this year. It would not be world-changing, but he could probably return a package similar to what we surrendered for Renfroe; three pitchers all close to contributing to the bigs. Heck, I’d almost make that same trade, getting back a young reliever like Peguero, who turned into a solid reliever with options, another up-and-down long-relief arm like Junk with options to replace Barria and Suarez for league min, and then a third high-floor prospect like Seminaris would come close to undoing the Grichuk/Cron/Moustakas/Escobar trades all at once. Is it going to tilt the needle? No, but it’s years of optionable arms at league minimum for a guy with one year left on a contract, and I do not expect the Halos to seriously contend in ‘24, not with how well Houston, Seattle, and Texas played. 

Sandoval has enough control and potential to net a legitimately decent young bat, which we need. There’s little in the upper-levels now and we could use either another IF or OF. Draft a quick-to-bigs arms to replace Sandoval long-term, sign a decent $10m-$15m guy to replace him in the short-term since the FA class is thick with that.

Let’s pump the brakes for a year and add what we can to the Neto, O’Hoppe, Detmers core of 2025+, dealing away some guys at peak value over the next 12 months, draft to fill the gaps, keep payroll open to extend these guys in the next year or two and supplement via FA next winter. The best way to support these guys isn’t free agency. That’s a last resort. They need to restock the farm best they can and use those players to replace within or trade for targets rather than overspending in FA.

Edited by totdprods

21 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Problem is that it’s not a great FA class. At least not enough that the Angels could spend themselves back into contention or address enough needs. 

Estévez and Drury were both good enough last year that they’d have some interest. Estévez was solid enough that he probably can pry away a fringe Top 100 guy fairly easily, or a Top 10 from a decent farm. 

Drury could be one of the better bats available given the lack of FA hitters this year. It would not be world-changing, but he could probably return a package similar to what we surrendered for Renfroe; three pitchers all close to contributing to the bigs. Heck, I’d almost make that same trade, getting back a young reliever like Peguero, who turned into a solid reliever with options, another up-and-down long-relief arm like Junk with options to replace Barria and Suarez for league min, and then a third high-floor prospect like Seminaris would come close to undoing the Grichuk/Cron/Moustakas/Escobar trades all at once. Is it going to tilt the needle? No, but it’s years of optionable arms at league minimum for a guy with one year left on a contract, and I do not expect the Halos to seriously contend in ‘24, not with how well Houston, Seattle, and Texas played. 

Sandoval has enough control and potential to net a legitimately decent young bat, which we need. There’s little in the upper-levels now and we could use either another IF or OF. Draft a quick-to-bigs arms to replace Sandoval long-term, sign a decent $10m-$15m guy to replace him in the short-term since the FA class is thick with that.

Let’s pump the brakes for a year and add what we can to the Neto, O’Hoppe, Detmers core of 2025+, dealing away some guys at peak value over the next 12 months, draft to fill the gaps, keep payroll open to extend these guys in the next year or two and supplement via FA next winter. The best way to support these guys isn’t free agency. That’s a last resort. They need to restock the farm best they can and use those players to replace within or trade for targets rather than overspending in FA.

I agree this off season should try and use what little assets halos have to get younger. Any high price FA not coming to Angels. Bellinger, Nola, Snell, Hader want to be on contenders same as Ohtani. New direction needs to be taken not another bad signing, Giolito comes to  mind.

20 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I didn't mean overspend. I meant filling in gaps. I absolutely do not want Snell, though I could see Arte doing it if we lose Ohtani.

Moustakas would be solid. Grichuk. I don't mind your idea of Giolito and Lorenzen.

Matt Chapman would be great, but he's going to cost a ton and we already (technically) have a 3rd baseman. 

I think we argued the Sandoval thing last year. I'm only trading him if he gets a controlled outfield bat. One that could actually help the team.

Despite his disappointing season he still managed a 2.3 fWAR. That was 3rd on the staff. I think he's someone you hold onto unless another team really wants him.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I didn't mean overspend. I meant filling in gaps. I absolutely do not want Snell, though I could see Arte doing it if we lose Ohtani.

Moustakas would be solid. Grichuk. I don't mind your idea of Giolito and Lorenzen.

Matt Chapman would be great, but he's going to cost a ton and we already (technically) have a 3rd baseman. 

I think we argued the Sandoval thing last year. I'm only trading him if he gets a controlled outfield bat. One that could actually help the team.

Despite his disappointing season he still managed a 2.3 fWAR. That was 3rd on the staff. I think he's someone you hold onto unless another team really wants him.

Moustakas' production isn't anything amazing, and he doesn't really offer us a whole lot on the field we don't have already somewhat covered, but if we treat 2024 as a true transition here, he makes a lot of sense to give some continuity and leadership. Let him mentor O'Hoppe and Schanuel and Neto, or bring in another vet who could provide something similar, and by the end of the year I would not be the least bit surprised if those guys have enough experience and credibility to lead the team going forward. I think that is tremendously value given the state of the org the past decade. 

Chapman is going to have so much interest, and I'm not real sure he's going to be terribly productive going forward. And he did diss the whole team basically last year. 

I really like Sandoval and won't mind if he hold onto him. Worst case scenario I think he's a fine arm to have in the rotation, and he is still relatively cheap and under control. It's absolutely nothing against him or what he brings in an off-year. But at this point it just feels like we have squeezed the absolute best we are going to get out of him, and there's still enough potential and control there that a few teams would be really interested in him, or at least I would imagine. The Dodgers have a ton of uncertainty in their rotation, and Tampa seems a place that would know exactly how to use him. Minnesota could lose a few guys in FA. Cincy and Baltimore could use young-but-tested arm like him anchoring some of their young guns. Milwaukee is shrewd and good at maximizing guys like him. Also, perhaps it's shades of the Heaney/Skaggs/Richards years, and this is no reason to trade him on it's own, but you always have to kind of wonder if the TJ clock is due to ring for him. Obviously every pitcher won't have it, but it's the Halos, and it'd be brutal to lose his last couple of years to TJS. Almost seems like you're pushing luck if you have a SP avoid TJS during their first few arb years. He has some value, we could use an OF as you mentioned, and I think he'd be very attractive to teams like Minnesota, Baltimore, Cincinnati, St. Louis, the Dodgers and Tampa, most of whom are pretty deep with young bats.  We got him for Martin Maldonado; we've won that trade and already extracted a ton of value from him, moving on would not be a horrible idea at this point, IMO, if you can capitalize on that value and transfer it to a new asset.

Trout, Ward, Moniak, and Adell seems sufficient at first blush, but with Trout's injuries, Ward's uncertainty after the HBP, Moniak's slow fall, discipline and lefty issues and Adell being Adell, that crowd could get ridiculously thin fast, and there's not really anyone interesting in the minors for another year or two. 

Trade value site pegs Sandoval at around 20-30; Milwaukee has Frelick at 36, Wiemer at 15, Mitchell at 7. Andy Pages is at 19, Outman at 24. Not an outfielder, but Jordan Westburg in Baltimore is at 25.4 and could be expendable with their depth and slot in at 2B or 3B here, and saw some outfield time in the minors. Cincy has a ton of infield depth. Minnesota has Julien, Wallner, Kiriloff and Rodriguez all at OF and between 18-24 on the value site. Luke Raley doesn't fit the mold of what I'd want, but he had a strong OPS last year, some lefty power, coverage at 1B, and a trade value of 22. Harold Ramirez isn't much defensively, but he's hitting the point in arbitration where Tampa starts dealing folks. 

It's not particularly exciting, but Michael Lorenzen's last two years (250 IP, 47 G) have produced a 4.20 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, 8 hits allowed per nine, 1 HR per 9, 3 BB to 7 K. Not really that different from Sandoval's 2023. It's a dumb state to evaluate, but he also won 17 games in the last two years - as much as Sandoval has in his entire career. Sounds like he was begging to re-sign last winter, so go ahead and try to nab him to a 2-3 year deal around $10-12m per and I think it comes out positive for the Halos with who they get back for Sandy.

Edited by totdprods

2 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

It would be ideal to sign Yamamoto, he's 25, and doesn't require us to forfeit a draft choice.  

Yamamoto would be my top target, even over Ohtani. I hope the Angels are seriously in on him.

3 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Would the Cubs get compensation if we signed Bellinger?  He is a repeater FA, but I'm not sure. 

Yes, since Bellinger hasn’t received the QO before and wasn’t traded at the deadline.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Someone just reported that the Rays offered THREE prospects including the #6 overall prospect in MLB in July for Ohtani.

If true, just SMH at Moreno

Moreno was never going to allow Ohtani to be traded and he said so. Wringing your hands two months later is just you being silly. 

17 hours ago, Blarg said:

Moreno was never going to allow Ohtani to be traded and he said so. Wringing your hands two months later is just you being silly. 

Maybe so, but that’s why he’s had 8 straight losing seasons.   2-3 star contracts supercede everything else of importance.

Minasian had to talk him out of giving Turner $300 million.

If he gives Ohtani $500 million, despite the pitching question mark, that will prove that Moreno has gone the Leonard Tose route.

This cannot be compared to the Ruth situation.   Ohtani will be 30 in July, FIVE years older than the Babe was during his first Yankees season.  Age 30 is getting towards dangerous territory to be giving mad money for mad years to anyone.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Look, you've been cruising Leonard Toes highway for as long, if not longer, than the Angels lack of success.

But you are correct if you believe the Angels shouldn't resign Ohtani. He is a personal records generator and fun to watch but kills the team with his demand to pitch only once every six games and hogs the DH spot not giving any other players a productive day off the field. 

Let the unicorn run free and start building a solid five man rotation that can set aside that extra (crap) starter for a good pen guy. Then rotate players through the DH role to keep them healthy and I think you'll see more wins instead of an MVP trophy and a sub .500 record.

10 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Someone just reported that the Rays offered THREE prospects including the #6 overall prospect in MLB in July for Ohtani.

If true, just SMH at Moreno

Add those to the ones we traded at the deadline and we would have had a nice young nucleus to build around

9 hours ago, Blarg said:

Look, you've been cruising Leonard Toes highway for as long, if not longer, than the Angels lack of success.

But you are correct if you believe the Angels shouldn't resign Ohtani. He is a personal records generator and fun to watch but kills the team with his demand to pitch only once every six games and hogs the DH spot not giving any other players a productive day off the field. 

Let the unicorn run free and start building a solid five man rotation that can set aside that extra (crap) starter for a good pen guy. Then rotate players through the DH role to keep them healthy and I think you'll see more wins instead of an MVP trophy and a sub .500 record.

This!

The best player in baseball is clogging up the works. It's like chess. Sacrifice the piece that's in the way and free up the board. Also save $500 million that can be used better elsewhere.