• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels remain over luxury tax, but Minasian says it will not impact 2024 spending

mmc

22 hours ago, Chuck said:

Fact Check: FALSE

Did Arte & Angels GM Perry Minasian ever sit down & set a budget & plan for the 2024 roster? If so, was it capped at 30-40 million & Perry used it all up on relievers?

Or did they pivot & decide they'll wait until the '25 free agent class to spend? Maybe they wanted to see how the young guys perform in '24 & see if the veterans can stay healthy & provide production before shaping the roster beyond this season.

Well they ended up NOT going over the luxury tax. The premise of the whole thread was “if you’re over, would you have less to spend.”

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Well they ended up NOT going over the luxury tax. The premise of the whole thread was “if you’re over, would you have less to spend.”

Oh no, this isn't on the premise of the title of your article, but more of Perry's quotes that he has been given no limitations to spending this offseason to improve the club. Not just in the quote from him in your article, but in other interviews on networks as well. 

If a GM says they have no limitations (presumably from the owner) on spending to improve the club, that does not mean they are free to sign recklessly expensive contracts.  They are still going to be disciplined in trying to make deals that are reasonable.

For the record, I am personally bothered by the lack of impact player free agent signings.  There were some good players that could have helped this team win more games.

My guess is they were open to sign many players but were being fairly cautious to avoid any long-term contract that would be a future albatross.

So the alternative is yes they could do short term or do deals with opt outs, but then the salary per year escalates into “Why are we going to pay Snell $30m+ for 2024 when the difference might be 84 wins instead of 78 wins?”

Anyway, it is reasonable to believe that having “no limitations” was always in the context of there being no limit to signing contracts they felt made sense for where the team is right now.

I would have preferred to chase and land like Snell and Bellinger (both imperfect players in their own ways) because to me it really is in the realm of possibilities that this team could be fairly good in 2024, and even if you have them short term deals you have your own exclusive window to try to extend them if things are going right.

Edited by Dtwncbad

6 hours ago, Chuck said:

Oh no, this isn't on the premise of the title of your article, but more of Perry's quotes that he has been given no limitations to spending this offseason to improve the club. Not just in the quote from him in your article, but in other interviews on networks as well. 

What he always says is that he doesn’t start out with a predetermined limit. If he wants to spend $x on Player A, he asks and Arte says yes or no. 

There truly wasn't any player this off season I wanted penned to a long term contract, especially any that would cost a draft pick. The Angels didn't make any long term punitive signings this off season so in my book it was a good off season. 

Next year when they have a clear idea what this teams strengths are, there are players worth investing in and they will have the budget to work with. 

9 minutes ago, mmc said:

If that's truly how all our signings play out that's an incredibly pathetic way for Arte to run this team.  Give your baseball people a budget and then get out of the way

That is how every signing happens on every team. The GMs are not given complete autonomy. 

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Common fucking sense. 

...would tell us that many owners are known for being hands off and Arte has a reputation for being the most meddlesome in the sport.  So you should probably take your own advice

11 minutes ago, mmc said:

...would tell us that many owners are known for being hands off and Arte has a reputation for being the most meddlesome in the sport.  So you should probably take your own advice

If you think owners aren’t approving free agent contracts on all teams then you are dead wrong. 

Just now, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

Hard to believe the angels are over with this team. 

they're not. 

this thread was started last september 1 when it was more of a concern. 

i think they're under the cap by at least $20 mil right now. i'm not sure how to check this, but maybe someone else here knows how to find out.

@Jeff Fletcher ?

19 minutes ago, Tank said:

they're not. 

this thread was started last september 1 when it was more of a concern. 

i think they're under the cap by at least $20 mil right now. i'm not sure how to check this, but maybe someone else here knows how to find out.

@Jeff Fletcher ?

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/payroll/angels

10 minutes ago, Tank said:

final 2023 payroll: $215 mil

beginning 2024 payroll: $174 mil

luxury tax for 2024: $237 mil

they've got plenty of room to play around with.

A couple things to look at. The bottom of the screen shows net salary vs lux tax at $189 mil. Second, Trout and Rendon actual salaries combined this year exceed AAV by about $5 mil and I think it's understood that Arte operates by actual salary instead of AAV so we should say the beginning payroll for 2024 is around $194 mil which means even to get back to last season they have $20ish mil. Let's hope the first half of the season goes well enough for him to bless the increase for the back half

Edited by arch stanton

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

A couple things to look at. The bottom of the screen shows net salary vs lux tax at $189 mil. Second, Trout and Rendon actual salaries combined this year exceed AAV by about $5 mil and I think it's understood that Arte operates by actual salary instead of AAV so we should say the beginning payroll for 2024 is around $194 mil which means even to get back to last season they have $20ish mil. Let's hope the first half of the season goes well enough for him to bless the increase for the back half

thanks for catching all that.