• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels remain over luxury tax, but Minasian says it will not impact 2024 spending

mmc

If we wanted to really be optimists, we could fantasize that the roughly $50m under the luxury tax this year is deliberate for the purpose of being saved money to fund the luxury tax penalties for the loaded rosters in 2025-2027.

Too much hope there?  Hey if I am going to hope for 130 games out of Trout, 120 games out of Rendon, significant progress from multiple young starters, Schanuel to be here for good and productive, a coming out party for Jo Adell, Moniak finally realizing his potential, O’Hoppe and Neto being all star level players, and Taylor Ward not turning into a pumpkin. . . 

I may be in the minority here, but I really don't mind not spending this offseason. I don't think this team is a FA or even 2 away from being competitive. And I don't think any FA available this winter, outside of Shohei, had the ability to substantially alter the team. We have been burned too many times by signing the same caliber of FA that was available this winter to exorbitant contracts. 

Now, if this becomes the new norm rather than a 2024-specific strategy, then I have a problem. 

32 minutes ago, Turd Ferguson said:

I may be in the minority here, but I really don't mind not spending this offseason. I don't think this team is a FA or even 2 away from being competitive. And I don't think any FA available this winter, outside of Shohei, had the ability to substantially alter the team. We have been burned too many times by signing the same caliber of FA that was available this winter to exorbitant contracts. 

Now, if this becomes the new norm rather than a 2024-specific strategy, then I have a problem. 

I don’t think anybody is or was thinking that signing a free agent would be the move that puts the team into the playoffs.

My concern is comparing what some of these players eventually signed for and whether or not they would have improved the team.  I still want the team to try to win as many games as possible and be as entertaining as possible.

The team’s foundational level of competitiveness will come from the core they already have.  Will they click and do well or will they have a year of just gaining experience?

If they click, I want those other bodies to help.

If they don’t click then as a fan, I don’t really want to watch 92 losses this year instead of 84 losses to save the owner a few million dollars.

In the end, they should have added some talent to the team outside of just building a bullpen.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

If we wanted to really be optimists, we could fantasize that the roughly $50m under the luxury tax this year is deliberate for the purpose of being saved money to fund the luxury tax penalties for the loaded rosters in 2025-2027.

Too much hope there?  Hey if I am going to hope for 130 games out of Trout, 120 games out of Rendon, significant progress from multiple young starters, Schanuel to be here for good and productive, a coming out party for Jo Adell, Moniak finally realizing his potential, O’Hoppe and Neto being all star level players, and Taylor Ward not turning into a pumpkin. . . 

Actually, the 3rd year in a row over the threshold has more severe penalties.

Going over only in 2025 and 2026 will yield smaller penalties not including lost draft pick.
Then Rendon comes off AAV payroll after 2026.

Burnes, come on down next off-season!

1 hour ago, Turd Ferguson said:

Yeah, I don’t mind not adding long-term deals to the books IF they go out and spend next offseason.

I still wish they spent more on one-year deals that aren’t gonna clog the books long-term, though.

12 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Clearly everyone misunderstood.   

When they said being over the cap wasn't going to have any impact they simply meant payroll was going to be pared back either way.

I had Ippei translate it all for me.

i'll bet that set you back a few bucks.