• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels remain over luxury tax, but Minasian says it will not impact 2024 spending

mmc

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Let's not let Perry Minasian off the hook. I know, Arte's a bombastic megalomaniac, but the GM has to be able to stand up to him. So either Perry is a pussy or an idiot, just like Arte.

...in before the Homer Chastisement Brigade enters the fray.

Maybe Perry isn’t that smart?

I don’t remember… did he even go to college?

There was all the talk about how he grew up in the game as a bat boy, but did he go to an Ivy League school that almost all modern GMs go to?

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Let's not let Perry Minasian off the hook. I know, Arte's a bombastic megalomaniac, but the GM has to be able to stand up to him. So either Perry is a pussy or an idiot, just like Arte.

...in before the Homer Chastisement Brigade enters the fray.

Or maybe he just wants to keep his job

3 minutes ago, BTH said:

There was all the talk about how he grew up in the game as a bat boy, but did he go to an Ivy League school that almost all modern GMs go to?

He went to the University of Texas at Arlington (John Lackey went there, too).

Everyone said ignore arte’s true cheapskate motives and look at the end result of better draft picks, more cap space next year, etc. Well looks like the end result is now we just saved a little bit of money and didn’t improve the future. So in the end arte just saves a little money, not as much as he wanted but we didn’t get the goodies at the end of the rainbow everyone here promised. So once again screw arte for pulling this in the first place.

So the Angels pay a 20% tax for going over this season, and if they exceed the threshold for a second straight year in 2024, they pay a 30% tax.  The tax becomes 50% for the third consecutive season over the threshold.

Also, when the Angels lose Shohei Ohtani, having already made him a qualifying offer, they now will receive a compensation pick after the fourth round rather than the second round, which would have been the case if they had been under the threshold.

Brilliant!

8 hours ago, BTH said:

Friedman went to Tulane along with Brandon Gomes (Dodgers). Billy Beane went to UCSD. Erick Neander (Rays) went to Virginia Tech. Dana Brown(Astros) Seaton Hall. 

12 hours ago, mmc said:

They waived anyone who was expiring with a price tag that would've mattered, if not enough players got claimed for them to be under, nothing they could do about it

They could have waived Escobar, Cron, Loup...

8 hours ago, SoCalDucksFan said:

So the Angels pay a 20% tax for going over this season, and if they exceed the threshold for a second straight year in 2024, they pay a 30% tax.  The tax becomes 50% for the third consecutive season over the threshold.

Also, when the Angels lose Shohei Ohtani, having already made him a qualifying offer, they now will receive a compensation pick after the fourth round rather than the second round, which would have been the case if they had been under the threshold.

Brilliant!

That’s all true. It was all true on July 26 when they went over the luxury tax threshold. And it’s remained true every day since then.

52 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

That’s all true. It was all true on July 26 when they went over the luxury tax threshold. And it’s remained true every day since then.

But these guys need to be upset everyday about this stuff, so they repeat it, like it’s new information, daily. Like the day we lost something 18-3 and fans decide to rage against Rendon for some reason. 

Just now, Stradling said:

But these guys need to be upset everyday about this stuff, so they repeat it, like it’s new information, daily. Like the day we lost something 18-3 and fans decide to rage against Rendon for some reason. 

I think this outlines pretty well why some people are upset about this now:

11 hours ago, IheartLA said:

Everyone said ignore arte’s true cheapskate motives and look at the end result of better draft picks, more cap space next year, etc. Well looks like the end result is now we just saved a little bit of money and didn’t improve the future. So in the end arte just saves a little money, not as much as he wanted but we didn’t get the goodies at the end of the rainbow everyone here promised. So once again screw arte for pulling this in the first place.

It was a bad look to waive all those players, but the upside was that you could get under the luxury tax and gain those benefits.

But since they didn’t get under the luxury tax, the benefits are lost and you are stuck with the bad look of waiving all those players.

Now, I’m worried that the team will have more trouble attracting players. AND, they have to pay a higher tax in the future + they get a worse pick if Ohtani walks.

It’s the worst of both worlds.

2 minutes ago, BTH said:

It was a bad look to waive all those players, but the upside was that you could get under the luxury tax and gain those benefits.

But since they didn’t get under the luxury tax, the benefits are lost and you are stuck with the bad look of waiving all those players.

Now, I’m worried that the team will have more trouble attracting players. AND, they have to pay a higher tax in the future + they get a worse pick if Ohtani walks.

It’s the worst of both worlds.

It isn’t, but if you want to constantly be upset that is your right as a fan. Calling Arte a cheapskate is really fucking dumb considering he is paying the luxury tax, even if he got under the tax it is very dumb to call him a cheapskate.  Of all the things to be upset at him about there is zero reason to bring up salary spent.  There are too many real things to hate on him for.  Team payroll isn’t one of them.  Trying to get under the threshold was the right decision.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

It isn’t, but if you want to constantly be upset that is your right as a fan. Calling Arte a cheapskate is really fucking dumb considering he is paying the luxury tax, even if he got under the tax it is very dumb to call him a cheapskate.  Of all the things to be upset at him about there is zero reason to bring up salary spent.  There are too many real things to hate on him for.  Team payroll isn’t one of them.  Trying to get under the threshold was the right decision.  

They didn’t get under the tax AND they might’ve ruffled feathers by waiving those players.

That’s the worst of both worlds.

And I’m not the one calling him a cheapskate. That was IheartLA. I was just saying his he was correct in saying that the only benefit the Angels got out of that ordeal was that  Arte saved some money

1 minute ago, BTH said:

They didn’t get under the tax AND they might’ve ruffled feathers by waiving those players.

That’s the worst of both worlds.

And I’m not the one calling him a cheapskate. That was IheartLA. I was just saying his he was correct in saying that the only benefit the Angels got out of that ordeal was that  Arte saved some money

“They might’ve” or they didn’t.  You quoted iheart so I assumed if you were using that as a point of reference for fans being upset, you agreed with it.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

“They might’ve” or they didn’t.  You quoted iheart so I assumed if you were using that as a point of reference for fans being upset, you agreed with it.  

I don’t know how players will feel about the Angels waiving all those players. But you’ve created a scenario where they could be upset when you didn’t have to.