• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

CJ Wilson ragging on the Angels and Arte.

11 minutes ago, gurn67 said:

Maybe Shohei is playing because he loves the game and he feels that he has a responsibility to the fans and to fulfill the obligation he made when he signed his contract for this season to continue. He's not an ordinary modern player. Most would have already stopped.

Or maybe he likes playing baseball, and being around his current teammates.  Many times players build stronger legacies when they play for one team in their career.  That would be a good sign for the Angels.

While it's unrealistic to think the team still has a chance, Ohtani hasn't given up yet and won't give up on his teammates.  And I would imagine that many of them haven't given up either even if the odds are way stacked against them.  So whoever he's playing next to in 2024 can respect the fact that he's gonna potentially sacrifice what's probably better for himself and his next team for the one that he's currently on.  

5 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The reason I disregarded it is because it’s all stuff that happened 10 years ago involving a bunch of people who no longer work for the Angels. 

I think it’s been well chronicled that the Angels have skimped on things besides big league payroll at times during Arte’s tenure. So unless it’s something current or involving current employees, it doesn’t seem newsworthy.

Is there any information that can be shared that could shed light on whether Arte is "currently" skimping on things such as domestic and/or international scouting budget, international signings, player development (including nutrition)?

Although there has been concern about such past skimping, if Arte is currently providing Perry and the rest of the baseball operations departments the funding and support they need, that would be great to hear.  (I understand "funding and support they need" could be subjective)

Edited by JVel17

7 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Will Angels wait to see what Ohtani does in off season before making any moves?

What Ohtani does in the off season?

Ohtani is going to another team.  I honestly don't think his injury changes that one bit.  Winning is still what's important to him, nothing has changed in the past week.  Winning is not something that is realistic if he stays in Anaheim.

The only question at this point is, whether someone is going to offer him a mind blowing long-term deal, or he'll have to wait a little longer, and sign for perhaps 2 years, and wait out his recovery from TJ surgery.

If he's going to DH for the next 1-2 seasons, why would he want to do that for a Below .500 team like the Angels, when almost certainly, better options will present themselves.

4 hours ago, SoCalDucksFan said:

What Ohtani does in the off season?

Ohtani is going to another team.  I honestly don't think his injury changes that one bit.  Winning is still what's important to him, nothing has changed in the past week.  Winning is not something that is realistic if he stays in Anaheim.

The only question at this point is, whether someone is going to offer him a mind blowing long-term deal, or he'll have to wait a little longer, and sign for perhaps 2 years, and wait out his recovery from TJ surgery.Maybe he gets

If he's going to DH for the next 1-2 seasons, why would he want to do that for a Below .500 team like the Angels, when almost certainly, better options will present themselves.

I hate to admit it but I also think he is going to another team. If he has TJS maybe more comfortable with halos in rehab. No guarantee how well he can pitch after TJS. Maybe he is tired of doing both and wants to play in OF. Things have changed with his injury. I do feel Angels will wait to see what happens with Ohtani. If he just is DH takes AB from players who might want day off from field but still be in lineup. 

7 hours ago, JVel17 said:

Is there any information that can be shared that could shed light on whether Arte is "currently" skimping on things such as domestic and/or international scouting budget, international signings, player development (including nutrition)?

Although there has been concern about such past skimping, if Arte is currently providing Perry and the rest of the baseball operations departments the funding and support they need, that would be great to hear.  (I understand "funding and support they need" could be subjective)

When I wrote my series on the minor leagues last year I wrote that he’s gotten a lot better about it. For example they significantly raised the salaries of the coaches and scouts a couple years ago. 

12 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

He’s got the MVP locked up. 

I hadn't been paying attention and went and check WAR leaders. He has it locked up for both leagues but I'll bet some A-Hole from New York is going to troll a vote for Judge. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

When I wrote my series on the minor leagues last year I wrote that he’s gotten a lot better about it. For example they significantly raised the salaries of the coaches and scouts a couple years ago. 

Thank you Jeff.  If you don't mind, could you provide a link to your series on the minor leagues last year?

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

I wish Cheapskate Arte would pay the plane fare for the radio crew to work the road games. Terry Smith is having trouble keeping up with the action on his monitor. What a rinky-dink operation.

Smith can't keep up with the action when at the game. His skills have really diminished and he should be close to bowing out. 

19 hours ago, Stradling said:

Didn’t buy a weightless treadmill and didn’t offer breakfast for a week. 

Arte has a toxic obsession with "self-reliance". Nobody in his organization "deserves" anything. No wonder minor leaguers are living in vans down by the river, and radio announcers are calling plays in Anaheim instead of on the road. I loved his comments on "Ohtani needing to want to be here". No shit you caustic fail of a leader. 

5 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Out of curiosity, why did Pujols need a special treadmill? I don't remember any particular injury he had when he was here? Especially when Wilson was still around.

Treadmills put a lot of stress on ankles and knees, and as we know with Pujols' belly after he got here, I'm sure he was avoiding making his ankles and knees worse. You could even tell he was struggling when he was chugging around the bases after a homer.

Weightless treadmill lets you get cardio in without (or with less) the additional repetitious wear and tear on ankles and knees. 

Honestly though, if Pujols would have just jumped in a pool and swam laps for an hour a day it probably would have been better for him.

7 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Was able to catch up reading all 3 parts.

On one hand, the main points are not surprising based on a history of the farm results in recent years.

On the other hand, the detail of research, interviews, and reporting is amazing and helps provide confidence in having accurate information about what has been going on.

Sort of like the first 2 parts detailing the illness and the 3rd part detailing steps being taken to cure the illness.

I almost hope Arte doesn't sell the team in the next couple years for the sole reason it will give Perry and his staff in baseball ops more time to succeed (maybe increasing the possibility a new owner would consider keeping Perry and his staff).

Thank you very much Jeff for the best article I have read in years.

Edited by JVel17

12 hours ago, cals said:

Minor leaguers no longer have to couch surf.  That’s a huge step.  Now they stay at the Motel 6.

"You're suspended!" - baseball commissioner

"For what?!?" - Angels mi or leaguer

"Because I saw you using that needle to inject steroids!" - Commisioner

"No man, this is heroin" - Minor leaguer

5 hours ago, JVel17 said:

Was able to catch up reading all 3 parts.

On one hand, the main points are not surprising based on a history of the farm results in recent years.

On the other hand, the detail of research, interviews, and reporting is amazing and helps provide confidence in having accurate information about what has been going on.

Sort of like the first 2 parts detailing the illness and the 3rd part detailing steps being taken to cure the illness.

I almost hope Arte doesn't sell the team in the next couple years for the sole reason it will give Perry and his staff in baseball ops more time to succeed (maybe increasing the possibility a new owner would consider keeping Perry and his staff).

Thank you very much Jeff for the best article I have read in years.

Thanks. Glad you found it informative.