• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

"May you live in interesting times..."

There's an oft-quoted supposed Confucian curse, that says "may you live in interesting times" - the implication being that "interesting" is generally negative, whether war or societal upheaval or whatnot. I don't know if Confucius actually said that, or if it comes from a Bruce Lee movie. Regardless, it fits the current state of affairs of Angels baseball.

If we are able to take a step back and try to view the Angels from an outside, purely analytical perspective, there is a variant viewpoint that actually makes the whole phenomena rather, well, interesting (I know, it is hard to do, but bare with me).

The Angels have always been a problematic franchise, with elements of tragedy and comedy in an almost Shakespearean manner. I won’t belabor the various trials and tribulations they have faced over the last decade and, really, 63 seasons, but the various mishaps and intrigues are almost farcical in magnitude.

So let’s consider where we’re at, as of August 24, 2023.

• The team’s owner, who is generally considered to be a Peter Angelosian meddler—and whose baseball understanding doesn’t come near his business acumen, yet is unfortunately not commensurate with his degree of participation in baseball operations--put the team on the market then, for reasons unclear, pulled it back off the market.
  • The team is on route to its eighth straight losing season, ninth without reaching the playoffs.
  • GM Perry Minasian went all-in on contention, scorching an already barren farm system, and since the trade deadline the team has gone 5-16, now more than 10 games out of a wildcard berth and clearly out of any hopes of even a miraculous run at the playoffs.
  • The franchise’s best player in its history, and probably the best player of the 21st century, is in clear decline, if only because he can’t stay healthy for more than 70% of a season, at least for the last half decade.
  • The franchise’s unicorn player and, as of yesterday, greatest player on earth, is seeing his future crumble before his (and our) eyes, with his pitching career in serious jeopardy.
  • Both of the above, plus their other “superstar” Anthony Rendon, as well as probable fourth best player in Taylor Ward, are likely out for the season – or only on limited duties (e.g. hitting only for Ohtani).
  • What approach they take this offseason is a complete mystery, with numerous questions: Will Ohtani undergo TJS? Will the Angels re-sign him, and in what capacity? Is there any hope that Trout ever plays even 130 games again? What is the fate of Anthony Rendon? Can Taylor Ward recover from his broken face? What approach will they take, and towards what end (i.e. contention vs. rebuilding)? Etc, etc.

If you take out the emotional component of perennial frustration and fan expectation (and, perhaps, entitlement), which I think is exacerbated by lingering memories of the failed promise of the 2002-09 era and the aborted arrival of the Angels as a top tier franchise, then the whole affair takes on a different light, and even one that is rather entertaining. This isn’t a happy tale, but it isn't a boring one. 

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

There's an oft-quoted supposed Confucian curse, that says "may you live in interesting times" - the implication being that "interesting" is generally negative, whether war or societal upheaval or whatnot. I don't know if Confucius actually said that, or if it comes from a Bruce Lee movie. Regardless, it fits the current state of affairs of Angels baseball.

If we are able to take a step back and try to view the Angels from an outside, purely analytical perspective, there is a variant viewpoint that actually makes the whole phenomena rather, well, interesting (I know, it is hard to do, but bare with me).

The Angels have always been a problematic franchise, with elements of tragedy and comedy in an almost Shakespearean manner. I won’t belabor the various trials and tribulations they have faced over the last decade and, really, 63 seasons, but the various mishaps and intrigues are almost farcical in magnitude.

• The team’s owner, who is generally considered to be a Peter Angelosian meddler—and whose baseball understanding doesn’t come near his business acumen, yet is unfortunately not commensurate with his degree of participation in baseball operations--put the team on the market then, for reasons unclear, pulled it back off the market.
  • The team is on route to its eighth straight losing season, ninth without reaching the playoffs.
  • GM Perry Minasian went all-in on contention, scorching an already barren farm system, and since the trade deadline the team has gone 5-16, now more than 10 games out of a wildcard berth and clearly out of any hopes of even a miraculous run at the playoffs.
  • The franchise’s best player in its history, and probably the best player of the 21st century, is in clear decline, if only because he can’t stay healthy for more than 70% of a season, at least for the last half decade.
  • The franchise’s unicorn player and, as of yesterday, greatest player on earth, is seeing his future crumble before his (and our) eyes, with his pitching career in serious jeopardy.
  • Both of the above, plus their other “superstar” Anthony Rendon, as well as probable fourth best player in Taylor Ward, are likely out for the season – or only on limited duties (e.g. hitting only for Ohtani).
  • What approach they take this offseason is a complete mystery, with numerous questions: Will Ohtani undergo TJS? Will the Angels re-sign him, and in what capacity? Is there any hope that Trout ever plays even 130 games again? What is the fate of Anthony Rendon? Can Taylor Ward recover from his broken face? What approach will they take, and towards what end (i.e. contention vs. rebuilding)? Etc, etc.

If you take out the emotional component of perennial frustration and fan expectation (and, perhaps, entitlement), which I think is exacerbated by lingering memories of the failed promise of the 2002-09 era and the aborted arrival of the Angels as a top tier franchise, then the whole affair takes on a different light, and even one that is rather entertaining. This isn’t a happy tale, but it isn't a boring one. 

Very well written and coherent.  Almost poetic in genre.  

I’m sure it’s entertaining from outside fan bases. If I was a Ranger, Mariner, Athletic, Astro, or Dodger fan I would be laughing my ass off, and for good reason. 

from an insider’s perspective it’s really depressing to the point I don’t like baseball like I used to. I don’t care about the Braves being amazing, good all around players like Elly de La Cruz, amazing pitching performances, etc,  when the angels suck. I have to detach from baseball and it sucks, I used to love the MLB. 

I feel like this has been a nightmare this past 10-15 years and there’s no way for it to change. We just have to keep sleepwalking through it. I guess next season is as good as any to fully detach and not jump back into the spring training hype. 

2 minutes ago, TroutField said:

I’m sure it’s entertaining from outside fan bases. If I was a Ranger, Mariner, Athletic, Astro, or Dodger fan I would be laughing my ass off, and for good reason. 

from an insider’s perspective it’s really depressing to the point I don’t like baseball like I used to. I don’t care about the Braves being amazing, good all around players like Elly de La Cruz, amazing pitching performances, etc,  when the angels suck. I have to detach from baseball and it sucks, I used to love the MLB. 

I feel like this has been a nightmare this past 10-15 years and there’s no way for it to change. We just have to keep sleepwalking through it. I guess next season is as good as any to fully detach and not jump back into the spring training hype. 

image.png

I'm just pointing towards the "happy face" viewpoint above. It requires acceptance.

12 minutes ago, TroutField said:

I’m probably at the crisis portion of it, when I keep telling myself I’m in the acceptance phase. Oh well. 

Haha, I hear you, brother. Really, the stages keep cycling, and an endless stream of "shocks." I suppose the key is try to build an underlying acceptance, regardless of the ups and (mostly) downs. But it is hard.

17 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Haha, I hear you, brother. Really, the stages keep cycling, and an endless stream of "shocks." I suppose the key is try to build an underlying acceptance, regardless of the ups and (mostly) downs. But it is hard.

It's hard but we've had lots of practice.

So I approach each season as if it will be "interesting."

6 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I hear you,, and I loved the interesting times reference.  I’d say that was a professional headline, but I’d suggest you ask Jeff Fletcher who is actually a journalist.

I immediately heard this in my head.

By Rod Stewart
May the good Lord be with ya down every road you roam
And may sunshine and happiness surround you when you're far from home
And may you grow to be proud, dignified, and true
And do unto others as you would have done to you

Be courageous and be brave
And in my heart you'll always stay

Forever young, forever young

May good fortune be with you, may your guiding light be strong
Build a stairway to heaven with a prince or a vagabond

And may you never love in vain
And in my heart you will remain

For-ever young
For-ever young
Yeah!

And when you finally fly away I'll be hopin' that I served you well
For all the wisdom of a lifetime no one can ever tell

But whatever road you choose
I'm right behind you, win or lose

For-ever young
For-ever young
For! For-ever young
For-ever young

Maybe I have a different perspective because I don't care about what other fanbases think. It's WWE level entertainment without the homoerotic element of having to watch half-naked men prance and pose. I quit living and dying with every win or loss a long time ago so I can enjoy the individual efforts of some all time great players without losing my mind over results that I have no control over

6 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Maybe I have a different perspective because I don't care about what other fanbases think. It's WWE level entertainment without the homoerotic element of having to watch half-naked men prance and pose. I quit living and dying with every win or loss a long time ago so I can enjoy the individual efforts of some all time great players without losing my mind over results that I have no control over

This. Baseball is fucking amazing and there are so many good and young players out there. Don't get caught up in the dumb ass Angel franchise and let them ruin your days.

Well, @Angelsjunky things certainly continue to be "interesting."

No one could have predicted the series of events that have taken place this year.   And we still have a month of baseball left.

As you said, things certainly have not been boring.

i've mentioned here before that my daughter has become a passionate phillies fan. because we watch games together every afternoon/evening, i've enjoyed watching them too. 

while my team is in an insane freefall with hardly any reasons to be optimistic for the foreseeable future, it's nice to have a fallback. 

in the meantime, i'll enjoy every ohtani at bat i can in the home team colors for as long as possible, while also looking forward to some of the kids and what they might turn out to be.

14 hours ago, T.G. said:

Well, @Angelsjunky things certainly continue to be "interesting."

No one could have predicted the series of events that have taken place this year.   And we still have a month of baseball left.

As you said, things certainly have not been boring.

True, though some did predict that the Angels would find a way to suck again, despite the greater depth and talent on the field. Or specifically, that Rendon and Trout would lose substantial time for injury. I have also always felt that Ohtani's arm was a time-bomb, so am not surprised. The almost comically tragic timing and confluence of it all is hard to fathom.

11 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

If I could do it all over again I'd be a Cardinals or Giants fan. 

I'm stuck in this abusive relationship. 

Those would be two of the best franchises, imo - and I'd add the Braves, Astros, and Red Sox to the list of teams that combine strong (recent-ish) winning traditions, intelligent front offices, and at least some degree of payroll, but without the excessive bloat that, say, the Yankees and Dodgers have. 

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

True, though some did predict that the Angels would find a way to suck again, despite the greater depth and talent on the field. Or specifically, that Rendon and Trout would lose substantial time for injury. I have also always felt that Ohtani's arm was a time-bomb, so am not surprised. The almost comically tragic timing and confluence of it all is hard to fathom.

Those would be two of the best franchises, imo - and I'd add the Braves, Astros, and Red Sox to the list of teams that combine strong (recent-ish) winning traditions, intelligent front offices, and at least some degree of payroll, but without the excessive bloat that, say, the Yankees and Dodgers have. 

I almost said the Braves,  but they have an alarming low amount of rings despite how great that franchise is. 

I cannot stand OC Red Sox fans so I'm out on that one.  

15 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

If I could do it all over again I'd be a Cardinals or Giants fan. 

I'm stuck in this abusive relationship. 

It's funny... some people are more dedicated to their baseball teams than their spouses.  Leave a baseball team for another one? Never. Divorce a spouse?  Sure.

It's whack.

15 hours ago, Tank said:

i've mentioned here before that my daughter has become a passionate phillies fan. because we watch games together every afternoon/evening, i've enjoyed watching them too. 

while my team is in an insane freefall with hardly any reasons to be optimistic for the foreseeable future, it's nice to have a fallback. 

in the meantime, i'll enjoy every ohtani at bat i can in the home team colors for as long as possible, while also looking forward to some of the kids and what they might turn out to be.

I've done this with the Rays. Arozarena, Yandy, the Lowe's, and Fairbanks coming in to close my gosh they are so much fun to watch. 

And I love their commentators. 

I saw them at Camden Yards by chance, and Randy threw me a ball when he was in left field --instant fan forever-- he was so good with the fans.

It's nice to have that "alternative" with MLB.tv or whatnot in these unwatchable times, for sure. 

18 minutes ago, mmc said:

The idea that we "scorched the farm" is so incredibly misguided.  We traded one of our top prospects, a pretty good one, and a bunch of guys ranked in the 20s or unranked.

You and others keep saying this, but it's still a pretty naive/limited way of looking at it.  Yes, the general consensus seems to be that the Angels farm system was and is weak--but it's still better to have a volume of marginal+ prospects than to trade them for a bunch of dudes who you put on waivers a few weeks later.  If nothing else, keeping some of those guys would have simply helped the depth of the system.