• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (8/4/23): Mariners @ Angels: Detmers on the mound, Drury back, Neto out

The club is too inured to make up for the talent gap right now. The reinforcements have been good but not enough. All year long the team has been plagued by fundamental mistakes and bad pitching. The number of 3+ run leads coughed up by this team is more than I've seen even in the bad years during the 90's. The number of times this team has been beat after scoring 6+ runs has been staggering to me. It used to be you score 5 runs in a game you think you would win most nights. A five run lead with two innings to go with this team and I'm still nervous. 

I'm going to take it is easy and see what happens after Mike rejoins the team. If they are 8 games out of the last wild card with 4 teams ahead of them, I'm not going to say throw in the towel, but if Mike and Shohei are hobbling a bit, I would shut them down some to protect them from major injury. Out of respect and professional courtesy. it would be the classy thing to do even if it looks like it would be waving the white flag. Also, Shohei earned the privilege to go in to his free agency without injury. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Reid Detmers has been trash this season. 4 IP, 7 ER, 9 hits, 3 HR

Even Jered Weaver is like, WTF

The team really really needed Reid to show a little bulldog tonight. He was not that. That’s just who they are. Shrinking when they need to stand tall. I fucking HATE being a fan of this team tonight. Even more than last night. I gotta figure out a way to unplug. They ruin my days…and I’m 54 with a whole bunch of other stuff to worry about. For some reason it makes me despise the fucking Dodgers even more 

1 hour ago, RenoHalo said:

The team really really needed Reid to show a little bulldog tonight. He was not that. That’s just who they are. Shrinking when they need to stand tall. I fucking HATE being a fan of this team tonight. Even more than last night. I gotta figure out a way to unplug. They ruin my days…and I’m 54 with a whole bunch of other stuff to worry about. For some reason it makes me despise the fucking Dodgers even more 

For whatever reason, and whether it has to do with throwing money at the situation, the Dodgers manage to consistently put together a playoff caliber team.  Go ahead and hate them, but come mid-September, at least they're selling Playoff tickets, while the Angels are sending out notices to Season Seat Holders, begging them to re-up for the next season, only 7 months away.

But hey, the Angels can take pride in the fact that they have as many Championships over the last 33 years, as the Dodgers, and theirs doesn't have an asterisk next to it.

As a Ducks fan, I can relate.  16 years and counting since our last Championship, and I can't recall what a game in May feels like.  I long for the time when we lost 3 Home Game 7's in consecutive years.  Good Times!

34 minutes ago, SoCalDucksFan said:

For whatever reason, and whether it has to do with throwing money at the situation, the Dodgers manage to consistently put together a playoff caliber team.  Go ahead and hate them, but come mid-September, at least they're selling Playoff tickets, while the Angels are sending out notices to Season Seat Holders, begging them to re-up for the next season, only 7 months away.

But hey, the Angels can take pride in the fact that they have as many Championships over the last 33 years, as the Dodgers, and theirs doesn't have an asterisk next to it.

As a Ducks fan, I can relate.  16 years and counting since our last Championship, and I can't recall what a game in May feels like.  I long for the time when we lost 3 Home Game 7's in consecutive years.  Good Times!

While accurate, at least some good ducks playoff runs feel a lot closer in time than any meaningful Angels' baseball. Could be wrong though...just feels that way. 

1 hour ago, RenoHalo said:

Can't agree more.

This is what I was worried about with the team back in the Blue Jays series. Chapman talked down on them, got caught doing it, and the Blue Jays even went out and hit Ward in the face. It being unintentional is not the point. It looks like they could do whatever they wanted with impunity. Someone on their team should have been plunked in the ass. But that's who the Angels look like right now. Other teams know what happened in that Blue Jay series with the "no response". The Mariners are playing like the Angels are their lil' bitch just like Chapman did. And they do it because they know they can and the Angels will shrink away. If the other team doesn't at least respect your ability to retaliate and go eye for an eye, they will come in with all the confidence in the world and that is enough for them to come out on top. 

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

Instead of taking that next step forward, Detmers is doing the opposite and turning into a bust. 

He isn’t turning into a bust. He’s going to be fine. Bust is an exaggeration at this point. Hell he’s made the majors, he’s coming off a sub 4 ERA season. That is better than nearly anyone should expect from any pitcher drafted. This could very well be a sophomore slump type of thing. 

I feel really good about 2024. Detmers will get over his sophomore slump and win 15 games. Trout will be the Trout we know and love. Rendon will play 120 games and hit 25 HR. Neto and O'Hoppe will have tremendous seasons. The bullpen will be one of the best in baseball. Ohtani...well, Ohtani...oh forget it.

Third wild card will definitely be in play though. Playoffs before I'm 90, my dream.

12 hours ago, Lhalo said:

Whoever owns those suicide hotlines on the broadcast is making bank with this team. 

I love the idea that somewhere there are suicide prevention hotlines that are profit making.

"Excuse me sir, but unless you give me a credit card number first, I'm just going to tell you to go ahead and kill yourself."

Hmm, actually now that I think about it, of course they make money.  I only just now realized!

"Well sir, you're not going to have to pay off that credit card after your dead, so just go ahead and give me your credit card number."

"Actually, just drop your entire wallet contents into an envelope and mail it to this address."