• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How to Pitch

I've been harping on this all season and last since Wise took over. Your analytics are broken if you miss up it's dyck high. IF you spin it up there it's a Frisbee. And the sequencing is trash!

Rule #1 has never changed in the history of the game. Get a head in the count.

Rule #2 pound the lower half of the strike zone.

Rule #3 change the eye level or waste a pitch in the dirt. (This is where Velo up or Spin Rate in the Dirt comes in to play).

I've spoken with many in the organization and a few outside old timers. We have all came to the same conclusion.

The pitching philosophy is broken based on Velo up in the zone, Spin Rate, Sequencing, one person who does what he wants, vets who do what they're good at, and the kids need to fit in a box.

It's time to learn how to pitch, movement, change speeds and hit locations. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtkpZShge22/?igshid=Y2IzZGU1MTFhOQ==

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuQcIu1g7pc/?igshid=Y2IzZGU1MTFhOQ==

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cus_Wr6AZJ-/?igshid=Y2IzZGU1MTFhOQ==

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

I just love how they sugar-coat things today. When we threw a bad pitch or didn't get on Top of a slider or Frisbee'd it up there. Because our front side leaked and the elbow dropped and the ball came out flat! We didn't give it a cute name like a spinner....

We called it 420 ft. And the next day you walked into the clubhouse and there would be a neck brace in your locker..

Today, people would get butt hurt.

All the “how to pitch” rules are great, but unless you have really dominant stuff being predictable will get you hammered.

A guy that always “gets ahead in the count” relentlessly without dominant stuff is going to start having that first pitch smashed 420 feet.

Unless you are truly dominant stuff wise, command will get you further than anything else.

Like throwing a slider two inches off the plate for your first pitch.  The guy that was convinced you would “get ahead” just either swing and missed or grounded out to second.

11 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

All the “how to pitch” rules are great, but unless you have really dominant stuff being predictable will get you hammered.

A guy that always “gets ahead in the count” relentlessly without dominant stuff is going to start having that first pitch smashed 420 feet.

Unless you are truly dominant stuff wise, command will get you further than anything else.

Like throwing a slider two inches off the plate for your first pitch.  The guy that was convinced you would “get ahead” just either swing and missed or grounded out to second.

IMO its a power pitcher game today.   Glaring weakness in the Angel BP is guys like Barria and Loup not being able to blow guys down.  Ideally, power pitcing is all I would want coming out of the pen.  Unfortunately the Angel power arms are hurt.

57 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Good opinion. However, it's incorrect. A simple perspective that you brought up is launch angle those would be pop-ups or fly balls. Watch the Angels at bats when they are overly aggressive and swinging and missing at either stuff out of the zone, in the dirt or off the plate.

Velo up in the zone only works when you have offspeed pitches to set it up. Which is an eye level change.

41 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Good opinion. However, it's incorrect. A simple perspective that you brought up is launch angle those would be pop-ups or fly balls. Watch the Angels at bats when they are overly aggressive and swinging and missing at either stuff out of the zone, in the dirt or off the plate.

Velo up in the zone only works when you have offspeed pitches to set it up. Which is an eye level change.

I didn’t bring up launch angle.  Responding to the wrong person?

1 hour ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Where are you pitching Trout?

6 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Where are you pitching Trout?

Strike one 90% of the time he takes the 1st pitch. 

2nd down and away slider. 0-2

3rd up and out. 1-2

4th back down and away slider or fork in the dirt. Ground out.

I struck out a few former Halos in the 80's. He beats me it's only 1 run. I also gave up a seed to former Royal Rookie of the Year Bob Hamlin that's still orbiting the earth.

9 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don’t think keeping the ball down is a hard rule anymore.

Too many launch angle guys going up to the plate looking for a pitch in the lower third.

Launch Angle is on follow through and finish not by golfing the ball or swinging up. Like a golf club.

You have to keep your head balanced at impact a bit behind the core and lift at the finish belly at the pitcher (similar finish as a golf swing). But, your barrel doesn't dip, your hands don't dip. You then can't bring them back up to react to a rising pitch 4 seamer up or a pitch on the 2 seamer spinning inner half. 

You might see 20 home runs a year down that actually were golfed out. Those are the big strong dudes like Vlad Jr. 

Even Ohtani's tonight was middle out that he let travel and hit it out to the opposite field.