• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Diagnosing this franchise

What's wrong with the Angels franchise?

It can't just be bad luck, because variations of the same shit happens every year.

Some (@Stradling) poo-poo the superstitious idea of a curse, yet at the same time that aptly explains the phenomena ("If there's smoke, there's fire").

This year really looked differently. As recently as just a couple weeks ago, it looked like the Angels were on the way up: 41-33, eight games over .500. After a brief dip, then won three out of four games and were back to 44-37 -- and that was just a week ago. 

After tonight's game they'll be 45-43, losing 10 of the last 14 games. Trout is out for the next 1-2 months, Ohtani got bombed and hurt and Rendon is hurt again -- all within a 24 hour period. This is in the same year that their two top rookies both got hurt and missed a month or more.

So how do you explain the yearly shit-fest that is the Angels?

But Why GIF

And please, don't rationalize. This is a team that hasn't reached the postseason in nine years or had a winning season in eight. It is quite possibly the worst franchise in MLB, despite having two generational talents. No team has gone as long without a postseason berth or winning season. This franchise is floundering and simply isn't improving.

But next year, right? Haven't we been saying that for the last half decade or more?

image.png

Just now, Taylor said:

What would we have said in November of last year?

Shitty depth. Terrible bullpen. Weak farm system.

But again...why isn't the needle moving? Perry seemingly addressed the depth problem.

I wonder if there's something fundamentally flawed about a top-heavy team, whether it is one or two megastars. I remember when the Mariners lost Griffey, A-Rod, and Randy Johnson all within the span of a year or two, and then won 114 games (though didn't go far in the postseason). They added Ichiro, Cameron, and a bunch of other guys that ended up being better as whole than their three superstars.

The great Yankees teams of the late 90s and early 00s didn't have any megastars, just a bunch of very good to lesser star players. Until A-Rod, and then they weren't quite as good anymore.

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

But again...why isn't the needle moving? Perry seemingly addressed the depth problem.

I wonder if there's something fundamentally flawed about a top-heavy team, whether it is one or two megastars. I remember when the Mariners lost Griffey, A-Rod, and Randy Johnson all within the span of a year or two, and then won 114 games (though didn't go far in the postseason). They added Ichiro, Cameron, and a bunch of other guys that ended up being better as whole than their three superstars.

The great Yankees teams of the late 90s and early 00s didn't have any megastars, just a bunch of very good to lesser star players. Until A-Rod, and then they weren't quite as good anymore.

Yep. Nothing is different than it was on July 4, 2022. The folks who claim "this is a new year" are delusional. It's a trend.

2 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Yep. Nothing is different than it was on July 4, 2022. The folks who claim "this is a new year" are delusional. It's a trend.

It turns out that way, but...dial back to March, and the team looked a lot better than it did in October of 2022. There was reason to be at least cautious hopeful.

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

It’s what I was saying in the other thread… these top heavy rosters aren’t working, and really it never does.  But fans don’t learn. 

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

It turns out that way, but...dial back to March, and the team looked a lot better than it did in October of 2022. There was reason to be at least cautious hopeful.

It seems like March of every year we say, "This year is going to be different because we've added x player and replaced y player with z player."

6 minutes ago, full circle said:

It’s what I was saying in the other thread… these top heavy rosters aren’t working, and really it never does.  But fans don’t learn. 

Which is partially why I want them to trade Ohtani. You just know that the $650M contract will start looking bad a year or two in.

I wish the Angels would go for a "Moneyball Plus" approach: moneyball, but keep the very best homegrown guys.

Oh wait, that's the Rays.

7 minutes ago, Taylor said:

It seems like March of every year we say, "This year is going to be different because we've added x player and replaced y player with z player."

Right, so what's wrong, then? Is it just poor roster construction and bad overall tactics? Why is it that it doesn't matter whether it is Dipoto, Eppler, or MInasian? 

18 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Ownership. 

But he's on the right track now 

The bright side is the refraining from signing out-of-house big money FAs since Rendon, and finally trying to create more true MLB depth.

Very few teams have done really well for a solid stretch of seasons, via the sign big money out-of-house FAs strategy, since the advent of FA 46 years ago.

As has been mentioned on here, the best approach is balanced: a good farm system, keeping your best FAs, strategic acquisitions with enough balance in the lineup, and solid defense/pitching.

Minasian and Tamin did come from the Braves org.

I know that injuries are part of the game.   It just seems that the Halos have had more than the MLB average with those going back several years.    Rotten luck, or something else?

14 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

The bright side is the refraining from signing out-of-house big money FAs since Rendon, and finally trying to create more true MLB depth.

Very few teams have done really well for a solid stretch of seasons, via the sign big money out-of-house FAs strategy, since the advent of FA 46 years ago.

As has been mentioned on here, the best approach is balanced: a good farm system, keeping your best FAs, strategic acquisitions with enough balance in the lineup, and solid defense/pitching.

Minasian and Tamin did come from the Braves org.

I know that injuries are part of the game.   It just seems that the Halos have had more than the MLB average with those going back several years.    Rotten luck, or something else?

Rotten  luck combined with the injuries occurring to the "top heavy" salary guys, and breakout talent.

Edited by Swordsman78

Well as far as the depth, we lost our CF (who was struggling), our 3B (who is always hurt), his insurance (Urshela), our hot hitting 2B, our projected 1B, our starting C, his phenom replacement, and our SS. And Moore from the pen.

Not making excuses, but that's about the entire opening day lineup (on paper)

The big disappointment is that Trout floundered, Rendon was hurt again, and Sandoval and Suarez took huge steps backward.