• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If Trout is out for the year, I'm trading Ohtani

Will Ohtani sign a contract with a better team?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Will Ohtani sign a contract with a better team?

• Yes
    • And...yes, too

https://www.si.com/mlb/2023/07/05/the-los-angeles-angels-sloppy-ohtani-trout-supergroup-just-cant-win

This is a good article about the Halos. The sloppy supergroup that just can't win. A couple things popped up here that I didn't know about...

Say Trout misses the next 40 games, a reasonable number given the history of broken hamate bones. That means in the past seven years he will have missed 31% of the Angels’ games. He hasn’t played in more than 140 games since 2016.

The Angels are down to a 10.6% chance to make the playoffs, according to Baseball Reference, but even that’s too high with Trout out.

Oh, and to make the task even more difficult, starting Friday the Angels play 29 of 39 games against winning teams (Dodgers, Astros, Yankees, Blue Jays, Giants, Rangers, Rays and Reds). They are unlikely to have Trout in that season-defining stretch.

14 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

If I'm Ohtani I test FA.

This is a no-brainer. 

However if he stays with the Angels he'll be making the same mistake that Trout made.

I think Ohtani is smarter than that but we'll see.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

This is a no-brainer. 

However if he stays with the Angels he'll be making the same mistake that Trout made.

I think Ohtani is smarter than that but we'll see.

“If the player was smart he’d leave”.

Why do fans say this?  

You as a fan choose to be a fan, why?  Because you’re an idiot?  Probably not.  You grew an attachment to the team.  Players do as well. Will Ohtani? Doubtful.  But if he does it isn’t because he doesn’t care about winning or he did it because who says no to $500 million. He would do it because he likes it on his team. 

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

But if he does it isn’t because he doesn’t care about winning or he did it because who says no to $500 million. He would do it because he likes it on his team. 

That’s pretty much the only way it happens since the likelihood we will be consistently competitive is questionable.  Consistently winning only happens if Artie decides to change the way he does business and can convince Ohtani he’s for real.

On 7/4/2023 at 1:16 PM, Farmbuildingfan said:

The Angels will not likely be in the playoffs during my lifetime regardless of who is on the roster. Annual key injuries will knock them down whenever they threaten as a contender.

Therefore, I want to enjoy the best player in the game on my team. It is the next best thing to the playoffs.

I am amazed how many quitters and losers are out there.

22 minutes ago, Adam said:

Maybe its just me but I didn't expect anything from Walsh after he sucked last year

You have to wonder what his road back is….too small a sample size but he has struggled at SLC since he was optioned…

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

“If the player was smart he’d leave”.

Why do fans say this?  

You as a fan choose to be a fan, why?  Because you’re an idiot?  Probably not.  You grew an attachment to the team.  Players do as well. Will Ohtani? Doubtful.  But if he does it isn’t because he doesn’t care about winning or he did it because who says no to $500 million. He would do it because he likes it on his team. 

Like most people I became a fan of the team for geographic reasons, i.e. home town.

But my career didn't depend on which team I chose to be a fan of.

No sane GM is going to trade a "haul" for Ohtani until he has proven that he has recovered from his blister / split finger nail and is pitching effectively. 

And the team that trades for him better have someone in the lineup that can provide "protection" so teams won't pitch around him. 

1 hour ago, Slegnaac said:

No sane GM is going to trade a "haul" for Ohtani until he has proven that he has recovered from his blister / split finger nail and is pitching effectively. 

And the team that trades for him better have someone in the lineup that can provide "protection" so teams won't pitch around him. 

Most teams in race have those players. 

1 hour ago, Slegnaac said:

I don't think anyone will care about a blister and yeah the teams who would give up a haul will be good teams

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Victor is 100% right in his assessment here. Even with Ohtani, this is not a playoff team so they have to explore trades for him.

Dead on.....and you can't call him a an unhinged fan, very well thought out.....I get the arguments both ways, neither side is wrong, at least not at this point.....but Victor makes the better case, in my opinion...

36 minutes ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

The consensus seems to be Ohtani will not sign with  the Angels if they are out of the playoffs, but would he take into account that this could be a playoff team without the injuries?

They aren’t. The pitching and defense has been rather mediocre this season. 

If Angel's are 6 games or more out of W/C at deadline you trade him. Halos on the way to 8th straight losing season. Injuries big part of it but I trade Ohtani. Many decent young players on this roster try and add to them. I would also look at trading Carlos Estevez. I know he is under contract in 2024 at a great price. I add as many young players as you can going forward. Minasian may be most active GM near the deadline.