• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will Arte Moreno go over the tax threshold in July?

Will Arte Moreno go over the tax threshold in July?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Will Arte Moreno go over tax threshold in July?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t know

He’s sort of trapped by circumstances.  From his perspective if would be best not to go over this year since Rendon is on the books until after 2026 and is making $38 M per year beginning this year.  If Ohtani signs here the expectation is Artie goes over in ‘24, ‘25 and ‘26.

So on one hand he needs to demonstrate he’s willing to go over the tax plus this is the best chance for the playoffs in nearly a decade.  On the other hand, every third year he should duck under it.  So definitely he needs to go over this year, but just the first level.

I don't think Arte loses any sleep over potentially seeing Ohtani walk, not that he doesn't care or want to sign him, just that he doesn't see it as a long term hit on the franchise's value and as devastating as Angels fans do.  Nor do I think that he sees going over the threshold as a primary factor in retaining him.  He seems philosophically opposed to going over, just based on some of the friction he's had with the more free spending owners at the owner's meetings over the years. 

That being said, I think getting to and doing well in the playoffs this year is his main goal, for himself and the sake of the franchise first, and then as a subordinate factor in retaining Ohtani.  He's obviously been pondering how long he has left to be at the helm of the franchise considering the recent nixed sale, considering his legacy as an owner, and be more willing than any other time to  go against his philosophical bent.

I don't think he'll creep over the threshold just to add mid-rotation starters or average bullpen arms.  He's said before he'd go over for the right player in the right circumstance, so If he does go over (which I still doubt) it will be for someone that can't be had outside of a somewhat unique trade opportunity.

12 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Arte has yet to go over the tax threshold since buying the franchise 20 years ago.

He actually did in 2004 by a few hundred thousand dollars.

But remember, he hates Steve Cohen. So any chance of keeping Ohtani and the World Series title out of the Mets hands, and he is happy to do so. Granted they are doing that pretty well on their own. But...