• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brandon Marsh

8 minutes ago, case said:

I like Brandon Marsh.  I just didn't believe he is going to be a .300+ with 30 bombs

He feels like a 15-20 steal guy who hits 15-20 HR and hits around .270

Even .270 may be on the high side, he's always had a lot of swing and miss to his game.  What he always did in the minors and has been doing this season even as his average has plummeted is get on base. If he can continue to do that he will be a pretty productive player thanks to his speed and defense.  

9 hours ago, bruin5 said:

It seems the Phillies hitting coach really messed him up. 

- Kind of kidding but there were some comments about how great a job he did in helping Marsh. 

Apparently the hitting coach that was brilliant enough to fix Marsh couldn’t figure out Mickey Moniak. 

(I think it’s dumb any time people try to give too much blame or credit to coaches at the major league level.)

Marsh is a nice player that has value as a CFer.  We replaced him with a trade of almost nothing for a solid player that costs a bit more.  We also got a starting major league catcher with a bright future who happens to be injured at the moment but should return and give us another 5 years of service time.  That's called a solid use of resources.  

8 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I make that trade every time. 

Me too.  An OF with the talents of Marsh, and he is talented, can be found on every ML club, or in their farm system.  Catchers with the talent of O'hoppe are much harder to find, and most teams won't give them up in trade. 

56 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I make that trade every time. 

I was as high (still am) on Marsh as anyone and I was always 100% in favor of moving him for anything resembling the same value/upside at catcher.   Like Doc said, so much of his value is tied to his playing CF and the Angels have Mike Trout -- meanwhile the need at C was pretty clear.

On 5/25/2023 at 1:28 PM, Inside Pitch said:

I was as high (still am) on Marsh as anyone and I was always 100% in favor of moving him for anything resembling the same value/upside at catcher.   

Funny you mention this. I posted a question on here a few years back asking if people would be good with flipping Adell for a lesser prospect (when Adell was highly touted) somewhere more needed, specifically a Catcher, with no one in mind. And got yelled at.

I think this is always something you have to consider. @cals brought up Beltre in another thread today. I argued the same thing back then. I wanted Beltre so badly because we didn't have any in house options, and 3Bs almost never come along. (Until Rendon... which is funny, because of course that happened to us).

Obviously we still need to see Ohoppe to know if it was worth it. He could come back and suck. But I think at worst, he's the Marsh of Catchers. Decent enough bat, very good defensively.

I'll take that at C over an outfielder all day long.