• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brandon Marsh

Slashing .378/.440/.756 good for second in MLB with a 1.196 OPS. It's early but the Angels may have given up a really good player here. It's another case of a young player struggling to reach any potential with the Angels but finding success after leaving. If they trade Adell I can see the same thing happening.

The Angels did trade a very good player, but it was for a very good player in a position of greater need. But to say Marsh's slash line for 14 games is indicative of his present and future value is pretty obtuse.

Just like saying we have Johnny Bench O'Hoppe on our side of the trade after 14 games sporting an .865 OPS and twice the home runs as Marsh. 

Actually we have outfielders, veteran and some with real promise (Adel and Monicak).  We don't have a better catcher than O'Hoppe at the moment.  This is one of those trades you just have to love, both teams appear to have gotten very good young and controlled players.

Marsh had some hot streaks with the Angels but couldn't sustain them. He may have just needed more time to adjust to being an everyday player and finding a steady rhythm. Or, he may end up just being a streaky player. Way to early to tell from this small sample size. 

Normally I would have kept him longer to find out. But catcher is a much higher priority. And O'Hoppe has the tools to evolve into a regular, productive two way player at a position of higher need.

So you really can't compare the trade by stats, since each team had different needs at the time.

5 hours ago, VladdyforHOF said:

Slashing .378/.440/.756 good for second in MLB with a 1.196 OPS. It's early but the Angels may have given up a really good player here. It's another case of a young player struggling to reach any potential with the Angels but finding success after leaving. If they trade Adell I can see the same thing happening.

I think you are moreso trying to reference players that the Angels released/cut, moved on, and had much better success elsewhere.  Those instances are very frustrating.  In this case, we flipped Marsh for one of Phillies' top prospects - so we were trading one asset for another.

This team needed catching depth a lot more than it needed an OF.  It hurts to lose a good young player, which we did, but we also gained a good young one back, too, at a position in which we needed a lot more help in.

This is likely one of those trades in which both teams do well and are happy with the end result.

A few years back when we thought Adell was going to be the next Griffey, I asked on here if anyone would be willing to trade him for a lesser prospect at C, since we didn't have any in house ones. Everyone said no. (Understandably).

The Marsh / OHoppe trade is essentially the exact same scenario (thought its to be seen which of the two is better).

I'd rather have the better player. That said, like 3B for years, for whatever reasonnwe haven't had good luck developing in house catchers over the years. And outfielders are easier to staff at a decent level.

This was a good trade for both teams.

7 hours ago, VladdyforHOF said:

This take ignores so much in regards to the return the Angels got. 

Just now, stormngt said:

Marsh wasn't underperforming when the Angels traded him and he isn't raking now?

He was too new to consider it as underperforming considering he wasnt established. He was traded due to need, it wasnt dumping a player for underperforming just to see him perform elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I like Marsh, I hope he does become a great player. With that said, I still like the trade for O’Hoppe. Obviously it’s still early in both their careers so we will have to wait and see how it all plays out 

I am probably the biggest Marsh homer on the board and yet I went on record multiple times as saying if you could move him for a similar catching prospect you'd have to seriously consider doing that.  So much of Marsh's value comes from his playing CF and that value was going to be impacted until it became clear Trout couldn't handle the positon. O'Hoppe is the best case scenario in some ways, they were able to get him despite Marsh's middling start to his career solely because he was blocked at C by Realmuto.

Like you and others I want nothing more than to see Marsh become a legit star, he's a good dude -- very hard to root against.

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

It would be great if Thaiss was our starting catcher right now.

I’m sure you meant you wish he was better than O’Hoppe, though it would be interesting to see Thaiss catch some of the better SP.  I hope Thaiss ends up on a team that will give him a chance to play in the years ahead.

1 hour ago, James said:

He was too new to consider it as underperforming considering he wasnt established. He was traded due to need, it wasnt dumping a player for underperforming just to see him perform elsewhere. 

Quality for quality….an old fashion baseball trade….no financial considerations involved…