• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ryan Tepera left game with shoulder injury

mmc

3 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Can we get Wantz back up and never ever see Loup and Tepera in a close game ever again? 

no idea how Nevin thought he was a good idea to plug into the 8th inning of a 1 run game. Learn your lesson, dude… 

Just not a lot of options, I guess.  Anderson sucked, which means our pen needed to cover 5 innings.  Moore was burned for 2, Estevez pitched one, and Quijada was likely going to pitch the 9th.  It was either Tepera or Herget in the 8th, and neither has really inspired much confidence this year, although I would have rather gambled with Herget.

Wantz will likely get recalled given that Tepera should be going on the IL.  Wantz should absorb some higher leverage innings.  

17 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Just not a lot of options, I guess.  Anderson sucked, which means our pen needed to cover 5 innings.  Moore was burned for 2, Estevez pitched one, and Quijada was likely going to pitch the 9th.  It was either Tepera or Herget in the 8th, and neither has really inspired much confidence this year, although I would have rather gambled with Herget.

Wantz will likely get recalled given that Tepera should be going on the IL.  Wantz should absorb some higher leverage innings.  

Should have used Tepera in the 7th rather than Estevez and put him in a lower leverage situation if he was going to use him. 

the main issue is we have 3 guys right now that you can’t trust with a lead at all, in Herget, Loup, and Tepera. It was a poorly constructed bullpen from the start and it’s been slapping angels fans in the face for the first 14 games, already. If they don’t fix it fast it’s going to be too late and we will be regretting these winnable games getting away when we miss the playoffs by 2 or 3 games. 

anybody with any sort of baseball knowledge knew the bullpen was a huge red flag and the Angels were like ehhh it’ll work itself out… 

Just now, TroutField said:

Should have used Tepera in the 7th rather than Estevez and put him in a lower leverage situation if he was going to use him. 

the main issue is we have 3 guys right now that you can’t trust with a lead at all, in Herget, Loup, and Tepera. It was a poorly constructed bullpen from the start and it’s been slapping angels fans in the face for the first 14 games, already. If they don’t fix it fast it’s going to be too late and we will be regretting these winnable games getting away when we miss the playoffs by 2 or 3 games. 

anybody with any sort of baseball knowledge knew the bullpen was a huge red flag and the Angels were like ehhh it’ll work itself out… 

I think it had moreso to do with the part of the lineup that was up.  The 7th inning had Boston's best hitters, so it made sense to use a better pitcher (Estevez) at that time.

But that said, yeah - the issue is we just don't have enough good arms in the pen.  Even though Tepera was earmarked to pitch against the lesser part of Boston's lineup, obviously that didn't work well.

23 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think it had moreso to do with the part of the lineup that was up.  The 7th inning had Boston's best hitters, so it made sense to use a better pitcher (Estevez) at that time.

But that said, yeah - the issue is we just don't have enough good arms in the pen.  Even though Tepera was earmarked to pitch against the lesser part of Boston's lineup, obviously that didn't work well.

Yep. 

I get that they are sort of obligated to at least start the year with him due to his contract, but have they seen him pitch for the better part of a year?   He's just not very good.  He never really has been actually.  He's got a career FIP above 4.  He's pretty much the definition of a meh reliever.  The kind of guy that gets passed around on the waiver wire.

Five bucks says we find out that this shoulder 'injury' has been bothering him for awhile.  

1 hour ago, Docwaukee said:

I get that they are sort of obligated to at least start the year with him due to his contract, but have they seen him pitch for the better part of a year?   He's just not very good.  He never really has been actually.  He's got a career FIP above 4.  He's pretty much the definition of a meh reliever.  The kind of guy that gets passed around on the waiver wire.

Five bucks says we find out that this shoulder 'injury' has been bothering him for awhile.  

Yeah.  With his contract, there was probably a sense of obligation to at least see how he started the year.  Relievers are highly volatile, and sometimes they randomly click.  It seems pretty obvious, though, that that is not the case for him.  Hopefully he does not legitimately have a significant injury, but perhaps one that keeps him on the "shelf" for at least the next few months.

Recall Wantz, and if their performance warrants it, perhaps we can elevate one of our hard throwing relief prospects to the MLB squad fairly soon, too.

2 hours ago, Revad said:

Hopefully Tepera gets healthy and returns to form, meanwhile the current bullpen is better with Wantz.  

what form?  being a typical mediocre volatile reliever?  Actually, he's not even that volatile.  Loup I sorta get.  He's in that truly volatile category for me.  Estevez I get as well.  You're paying to see if you're right about there being more than he's shown.   I can squint my eyes with Moore and hope he figured something out after becoming a full time reliever.  

5 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

what form?  being a typical mediocre volatile reliever?  Actually, he's not even that volatile.  Loup I sorta get.  He's in that truly volatile category for me.  Estevez I get as well.  You're paying to see if you're right about there being more than he's shown.   I can squint my eyes with Moore and hope he figured something out after becoming a full time reliever.  

At some point Minasain and his team thought Tepera figured something out, apparently it was a career year.  It was a mistake, but he’s a ball player and things can go in a more positive direction.  Maybe he messed up his shoulder during 2021, tried to manage it, it got worse last year and now he goes on the DL.  Fixing a shoulder doesn’t have a good success rate so this could be it for him.  But maybe not, maybe he shuts it down for a bit, tries a few tweaks and comes back mid season to be useful (unlikely) or return to 2021 form (lottery jackpot likelihood).

6 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Tepera was a mudder at 94/95, now\ at 92/93 not sure he can get by with just weak contact, particularly post shift.   He's made a career of constantly re-inventing himself dropping and adding pitches so maybe he does it again.  I'm doubtful but we can hope.