• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2023 MLB Season Thread

m0nkey

Top prospect Anthony Volpe will start at shortstop for the New York Yankees after an undeniable spring training performance vaulted him to the coveted job, the team announced Sunday.

Volpe, 21, will travel back to the Bronx on Wednesday and join the starting lineup on Thursday against the San Francisco Giants following a spring in which he batted .314/.417/.647 with three home runs and 10 extra-base hits in 17 games.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35959790/yankees-top-prospect-anthony-volpe-makes-opening-day-roster

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

I could have predicted the Drury one without advanced metrics. I'm mildly surprised by Urshela and Renfroe since their numbers last year don't seem all that out of whack compared to other years. 

I asked the guy if the data includes pull rate on FBs -- that data tends to be very predictive in nature -- It's the very data that predicted AP's downfall.  The ability to stay in a FB and not cheat is a good sign of bat speed -- AP saw a massive spike there the second half of last year.  

I'm a Drury doubter, but the data at STATS Inc (STAS Perform now), shows his as having gone up for two years while the others have stayed the same or slightly bumped up.  

It's nice to see people looking for new ways to analyze batter data.

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I asked the guy if the data includes pull rate on FBs -- that data tends to be very predictive in nature -- It's the very data that predicted AP's downfall.  The ability to stay in a FB and not cheat is a good sign of bat speed -- AP saw a massive spike there the second half of last year.  

I'm a Drury doubter, but the data at STATS Inc, shows his as having gone up for two years while the others have stayed the same or slightly bumped up.  

It's nice to see people looking for new ways to analyze batter data.

This year shift is gone so numbers would not be the same.

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

This year shift is gone so numbers would not be the same.

The shift had no bearing on a guy being able to A: idtentify B: turn on a FB. The statistic doesn't measure outcomes, it measures how well a hitter can do those two things because hitters being able to see and make contact with/pull the FB is pretty key.

That said, guys who could do that likely stand to benefit from the lack of a shift.