• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

1 hour ago, greginpsca said:

Going forward, we need as many of these guys as possible to develop into major leaguers.

Yeah I can’t say I’m terribly impressed with Perry’s drafting after his first couple of rounds. Full credit to the guys he has hit on, but outside of those first couple rounds no one has really taken off and turned into a legit prospect. Maybe that’s on Perry, maybe on the scouts, maybe on the minor league staff, but we really need some of these Round 4-20 guys to start taking the next step.

Fully understand that the farm is thin because so many guys went virtually straight to the bigs, but it’s currently looking very 2014/Dipoto-esque down there.

Edited by totdprods

20 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yeah I can’t say I’m terribly impressed with Perry’s drafting after his first couple of rounds. Full credit to the guys he has hit on, but outside of those first couple rounds no one has really taken off and turned into a legit prospect. Maybe that’s on Perry, maybe on the scouts, maybe on the minor league staff, but we really need some of these Round 4-20 guys to start taking the next step.

Fully understand that the farm is thin because so many guys went virtually straight to the bigs, but it’s currently looking very 2014/Dipoto-esque down there.

Silseth?  Mederos?  Dana?

17 minutes ago, mmc said:

Silseth?

Yeah that’s one. The 11th round is almost essentially a future upper-round pick if you get lucky, so yeah it counts, but not exactly what I mean.

Aside from the guys that basically are in the majors now, nearly everyone else has been pretty meh.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Yeah that’s one. The 11th round is almost essentially a future upper-round pick if you get lucky, so yeah it counts, but not exactly what I mean.

Aside from the guys that basically are in the majors now, nearly everyone else has been pretty meh.

So you don’t think Dana is a legit prospect?  Or that Mederos a year later already making it to the majors is impressive?

2 hours ago, mmc said:

So you don’t think Dana is a legit prospect?  Or that Mederos a year later already making it to the majors is impressive?

Rada at age 17/18 too, already a solid A level player

Speaking of which, that is a nice swing he has for someone that young.  The gap power will develop later.

Has only played CF so far, obviously has the athleticism.   How is his arm?

Granted that wasn’t a draft pick.

Foreign scouting and development is very important too.

Edited by Angel Oracle

14 hours ago, totdprods said:

not even close.  and can you give us your expectation of what it should be?  How many prospects total from the 2021 draft are 50 FV guys from rounds 4-20?  Are you aware of how infrequent what you're asking for actually happens?  

The necessity for this team to continually pull rabbits out of their hat has created unrealistic expectations.  

4 hours ago, mmc said:

Jared is probably referring to Taylor Blake Ward's ACL/DSL article on Capri Ortiz here:

Signed as a defense-first shortstop from the Dominican Republic for $150,000, Capri Ortiz changed the script this summer in Arizona and has become of the biggest risers in the Angels system. Splitting his pro debut in halves, Ortiz struggled to start in the DSL in 2022, having a .522 OPS in his first 26 games, but turned the corner and posted a .793 OPS in his final 26 games. He carried that late success into instructional league where he became a player of note for the organization and then had a loud presence based on his speed and defense this summer in the ACL. His on-paper performance leaves a bit to be desired in a .273/.374/.345 slash line with a near 30% strikeout rate but the Angels liked his aggression in the box and on the basepaths and ability to adjust to switch-hitting which he started near the midway point of the season, with some promising signs in his ability to hit from both sides. Listed at six-foot and 150-pounds, there is significant weight and strength that needs to be added to the frame to tap into any form of power as Ortiz's game is more suited for slapping the ball through the infield or flaring a ball to the outfield while maintaining his line drive swing. When he puts the ball in play though, he can cause havoc. Posting the occasional sub-4 home-to-first time, Ortiz is more in the 4.0 to 4.1 range which grades above plus but under plus-plus, but his ability to utilize that speed only enhances the tool. Ortiz stole 30 bases over the summer which set a new affiliate record surpassing Aneury Almonte's 28 in 2002, and ranked 16th all-time in league history for a single season while being the most in the league since Monte Harrison stole 32 bases in 2014. Of note, Ortiz's 39 runs scored were the most for a single season at the affiliate since Rolando Gomez (48) and Randal Grichuk (47) in 2009. Along with 18-year-old's speed is the ability to handle a premium defensive position with ease as his quick feet allow him to cover plenty of ground at shortstop, while his internal clock allows him to slow the pace of the game and let his quick release and average arm do the rest. Ortiz may never grow into offensive impact and be more suitable as a bench player by the time he nears the Majors, but his speed and defense give merit to his future role at the upper levels while the bat will dictate whether or not be becomes an everyday player.

On 9/4/2023 at 10:08 AM, totdprods said:

I am kind of confused.  How many guys per draft make it to the MLB?  Perry only had three drafts and we know of  four has made it to the big leagues already 

Baseball America just came out with their best tools from the scouts in each minor league class. Here's the Angels that were noted for their skill sets.

Double-A (had none).

Michael Stefanic was the one who stood out the most to me with regards to the best defensive 2B. He must have made strides defensively because I always thought that's what was holding him back.

Triple-A

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 2.32.19 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 2.32.35 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 2.32.07 PM.png

High-A

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 2.34.55 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 2.34.26 PM.png

Low-A

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 2.30.12 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 2.30.33 PM.png