• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

2 hours ago, ScottSted said:

Didn't realize Kyren Paris was having such a solid year

Yes and no. Yes, in that Paris is growing into pretty decent pop, showed great acuity in the base paths, has ironed some things out defensively at multiple positions and has good strike zone judgment. 

No, in that is becoming apparent that Paris just isn't hitting enough to be an everyday player. He had it in him to be that guy, but he's not there yet, and it's a fair question as to whether or not he'll ever actually get there. Similar to Jordyn Adams in that regard. 

5 hours ago, Second Base said:

Similar to Jordyn Adams in that regard.

Similar but way better.  I like Paris a lot and have always been a big fan but I'm a bit disappointed by his bat the ball skills this year and I'm guessing the halos have been as well because they're obviously not shy about promoting guys from AA to the bigs if they think they're ready.  And he's clearly not ready from that perspective.  After he turned a corner in A+ and AA last year I thought he'd get a better handle on his swing and miss but it seems to just be part of his game.  

I'm quite a bit more optimistic about Paris than Adams. For one, he seems to be developing. While his numbers aren't drastically improving, he's actually adjusting to each level. Two, he's still quite young for AA (21). Three, I'm a big fan of players who take walks and he's getting better and better each year. Adams, on the other hand, only made marked statistical improvement this year, and that's probably largely (even entirely) due to playing in Salt Lake. 

Paris could be one of those guys who is solid at a bunch of things, which added up makes him a good player. He's got speed, takes walks, a bit of pop, and from what I've heard his defense is passable and improving. There's a lot there to like, even if the concerns about his contact and strikeouts is legit.

Or to put it another way, Adams' best-case scenario--that of a useful bench player--is Paris' worst-case scenario. 

Good insight from @Docwaukeeand @Angelsjunky it wasn't really my intention to compare the two so much as to highlight that they share the same degree of uncertainty in my mind. But now that you've compared them, it seems slightly worthwhile.

Ultimately, I think Paris ends up being a useful, yet flawed starting infielder. He'll only hit .230 but his OBP (along with power, speed and defensive ability) should be just good enough to keep him playing most days, at least until someone better is developed internally. Whereas Adams, I think is going to be a good fourth outfielder. He's got plenty of speed, thunder and defensive ability, much like Paris. And much like Paris, it's just hard to get on base frequently enough to overcome such a poor batting average. 

6 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Has anyone watched any of Alberto Rios' ABs so far?  He has kind of an odd stat line, though it's obviously early (.183/.267/.312 with 2 2B, 2 3B, and 2 HR).  He also randomly already has 6 steals and has been caught twice. 

Number of 3rd round picks making the majors: Few.

Number of collegiate 3rd round picks making majors: Fewer

Number of collegiate 3rd round picks that hardly played in college that made the majors: Very, very, very few. 

Number of collegiate 3rd round picks that hardly played in college that made the majors and had an impactful career: Probably none. 

I think they're just letting the kid play and see what comes of it. 

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Number of 3rd round picks making the majors: Few.

Number of collegiate 3rd round picks making majors: Fewer

Number of collegiate 3rd round picks that hardly played in college that made the majors: Very, very, very few. 

Number of collegiate 3rd round picks that hardly played in college that made the majors and had an impactful career: Probably none. 

I think they're just letting the kid play and see what comes of it. 

Thanks. Yeah, I'm aware of all that and that he's a wild card, but still curious if anyone here has seen any of his at bats.

7 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Thanks. Yeah, I'm aware of all that and that he's a wild card, but still curious if anyone here has seen any of his at bats.

He was in the lineup when I went to the game the other day but I couldn't tell you anything about how he looked, no clue how to project players at that level.  Didn't have a good game (0-4 with 3Ks) but no one really did anything for either team.

3 minutes ago, Blarg said:

There are almost no power bats at IE this season. They manufacture most of their runs but very few doubles or home runs. 

Jadiel can easily grow into his 6'2 frame as he's only 180 lbs. 

12 2B's, 9 3B's and 10 HR, but I like the OBP and his bat to ball skills. 

Could be a Garret Anderson type who didn't have a ton of pop in his minor league days but grew into his body later on. 

1 hour ago, Skips said:

Wake me up in 2030...it's gonna be a looong rest of the decade for Angels BB.

There's a path to winning. They need to build on what they started doing last year, even if they lose Shohei.  If they revert to 2013-2022 type of BS -- yeah, they are screwed.

This will be an interesting off-season. 

4 hours ago, mmc said:

Outstanding contribution to the thread as always

would you rather me add onto the BS floated by delusional fans who think we're a RP away or some better injury luck away from contending.  I'm not going to "soccer mom" it for you kid.  The organization is in a very bad place.  Even a complete tear down rebuild is unlikely because they don't have the pieces to do so.  Ohtani was one piece to use -- but they went for it instead.  I applaud the effort, but it's misplaced and filled with bad judgement.  

As IP says, there is a path to getting out of the funk and become a winning team with the chance at getting into the playoffs.  Unfortunately, the organization/owner has proven year after year that they do not want to take that path -- they continually want to try a quick fix...trying to hit a 7-run home run with the bases empty.  You have almost 10 years of empirical evidence to go off of -- wake up.  Personally, I'll believe the change when i actually see it happen and it's fully implemented throughout this organization from the very bottom to the top.  You just are clinging to some wide-eye kid hope & dream.  

But if you want to hope & dream -- keep doing so.  Don't let others like me get you down.  Enjoy the Angels baseball, continue to think their poo doesn't stink and believe in Santa Claus.  It's just odd for someone to whine & reply to posters who don't feel the same way as you.  But really there is no way out of this without HUGE and drastic changes.  That's why offering some ideas is hopeless -- there is just way too many needed.  Some of which (new owner) isn't an option that's available.  So things are the way they are for the angels....and won't change for several years.  You should be used to that by now.  But if not, you likely got the rest of the decade to get you there.  

2 hours ago, Skips said:

would you rather me add onto the BS floated by delusional fans who think we're a RP away or some better injury luck away from contending.  I'm not going to "soccer mom" it for you kid.  The organization is in a very bad place.  Even a complete tear down rebuild is unlikely because they don't have the pieces to do so.  Ohtani was one piece to use -- but they went for it instead.  I applaud the effort, but it's misplaced and filled with bad judgement.  

As IP says, there is a path to getting out of the funk and become a winning team with the chance at getting into the playoffs.  Unfortunately, the organization/owner has proven year after year that they do not want to take that path -- they continually want to try a quick fix...trying to hit a 7-run home run with the bases empty.  You have almost 10 years of empirical evidence to go off of -- wake up.  Personally, I'll believe the change when i actually see it happen and it's fully implemented throughout this organization from the very bottom to the top.  You just are clinging to some wide-eye kid hope & dream.  

But if you want to hope & dream -- keep doing so.  Don't let others like me get you down.  Enjoy the Angels baseball, continue to think their poo doesn't stink and believe in Santa Claus.  It's just odd for someone to whine & reply to posters who don't feel the same way as you.  But really there is no way out of this without HUGE and drastic changes.  That's why offering some ideas is hopeless -- there is just way too many needed.  Some of which (new owner) isn't an option that's available.  So things are the way they are for the angels....and won't change for several years.  You should be used to that by now.  But if not, you likely got the rest of the decade to get you there.  

I'd rather you come into threads to contribute to the discussion rather than just seeking out yet another place to spew the same drivel of how awful you think the franchise is