• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

Kochanowicz is seeing an interesting transformation. Drafted as a long framed inning eater with repeatable mechanics and upside, he lost the command he once had, and he sort of morphed into a potential decent reliever. And now it appears he's kind of re-emerged as a pitch to contact starter with plus command and a heavy fastball. 

Interesting journey. I used to buy the hype. 

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

Kochanowicz is seeing an interesting transformation. Drafted as a long framed inning eater with repeatable mechanics and upside, he lost the command he once had, and he sort of morphed into a potential decent reliever. And now it appears he's kind of re-emerged as a pitch to contact starter with plus command and a heavy fastball. 

Interesting journey. I used to buy the hype. 

He always had a heavy FB, always induced GBs which you always knew. I think they tried to turn him into big time K pitcher focusing on his curveball because of how much his FB would flatten out and it really never took.  Now he seems to be throwing less hard but inducing weak contact.

This one may end up being a Minasian front office success story.

17 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Wasn’t Kochanowicz 92-94 last year?

Seems like he had a velo up-tick.

Watched some of his start, and he was definitely throwing a sweeper. It seems like he tweaked his curveball to now be a sweeper.

Tims said it was a changeup at 86-89, but it looked like a harder slider or cutter to me.

Worked east-west, which played well with his tailing fastball, sweeper, and hard upper-80s pitch.

14 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Watched some of his start, and he was definitely throwing a sweeper. It seems like he tweaked his curveball to now be a sweeper.

Tims said it was a changeup at 86-89, but it looked like a harder slider or cutter to me.

Worked east-west, which played well with his tailing fastball, sweeper, and hard upper-80s pitch.

His velo has bounced a little bit since he was drafted. He sat 92-94 in high school. At fall instructs he dialed it up to 97, but sat 94-95. The last couple seasons he's sat 91-94, but if I remember correctly, they weren't focusing on velocity, they were trying to help him develop his off-speed stuff. Now it seems he's up at 95-96. 

Given the mechanics, clean release and size, assuming health I think he's going to sit 95-ish going forward which, given it's "weight" and the ground balls it generated, I would grade out as a legitimate 60 or 65 grade pitch, similar to Bachman's fastball when he's healthy and everything is clicking.

I think Kochanowicz had had a couple different breaking balls that have been solidly above average given that he could spot it, since he was drafted. I never worried about those. For him, it's developing a third pitch and finding a consistent delivery that uses his assets and is repeatable. That's a lot to develop, which is why he's spent his career below AA to this point. 

Edited by Second Base

32 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Nah, he's always had the ability to throw hard, he wasn't always allowed to throw all his pitches -- I'm going to shut up now because Scotty covered it pretty well.

21 minutes ago, Second Base said:

His velo has bounced a little bit since he was drafted. He sat 92-94 in high school. At fall instructs he dialed it up to 97, but sat 94-95. The last couple seasons he's sat 91-94, but if I remember correctly, they weren't focusing on velocity, they were trying to help him develop his off-speed stuff. Now it seems he's up at 95-96. 

Given the mechanics, clean release and size, assuming health I think he's going to sit 95-ish going forward which, given it's "weight" and the ground balls it generated, I would grade out as a legitimate 60 or 65 grade pitch, similar to Bachman's fastball when he's healthy and everything is clicking.

I think Kochanowicz had had a couple different breaking balls that have been solidly above average given that he could spot it, since he was drafted. I never worried about those. For him, it's developing a third pitch and finding a consistent delivery that uses his assets and is repeatable. That's a lot to develop, which is why he's spent his career below AA to this point. 

Not sure if you remember my pre-season comments on him when we were working on the lists, but he's been the hardest guy for me to figure out the last year or so because he's been so Jeykl and Hyde with his performances.  I genuinely don't know if that was do something he was doing or if it was something they were having him do, but he'd seriously go from dominant to hapless and it wasn't like he seemed rattled or lost his touch, it's like he simple started to serve it up and changed what he was doing.

We need guys like Koch, Adams, and Jackson to reestablish themselves, if not as legit front-line prospects as guys who could have MLB careers.  The sort of internal depth they had in the 00s.

Northwest League (High-A)

League Averages
4.93 R/9 • Grade: 43 on 20-80 scouting scale
.238/.325/.385 • .310 BABIP • 13.3 HR and 17.7 SB per 550 PA
4.24 ERA • 1.33 WHIP • 26.5 SO% and 9.9 BB%

Runs Home Runs BABIP Overall
Team Org PF Mult PF Mult PF Mult TRC Pctile
Eugene SF 93 0.966 107 1.037 99 0.996 4.76 16%
Everett SEA 125 1.125 154 1.272 110 1.050 5.55 76%
Hillsboro ARI 87 0.933 53 0.764 93 0.963 4.60 8%
Spokane COL 121 1.107 165 1.324 107 1.035 5.46 71%
Tri-City LAA 82 0.912 47 0.734 101 1.005 4.50 4%
Vancouver TOR 94 0.971 100 1.001 90 0.952 4.79 19%

The Angels REALLY need to get out of Pasco.  A 4 percentile ranking overall on offense is brutal.

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Nah, he's always had the ability to throw hard, he wasn't always allowed to throw all his pitches -- I'm going to shut up now because Scotty covered it pretty well.

Not sure if you remember my pre-season comments on him when we were working on the lists, but he's been the hardest guy for me to figure out the last year or so because he's been so Jeykl and Hyde with his performances.  I genuinely don't know if that was do something he was doing or if it was something they were having him do, but he'd seriously go from dominant to hapless and it wasn't like he seemed rattled or lost his touch, it's like he simple started to serve it up and changed what he was doing.

We need guys like Koch, Adams, and Jackson to reestablish themselves, if not as legit front-line prospects as guys who could have MLB careers.  The sort of internal depth they had in the 00s.

I was high on Kochanowicz when he was first drafted because from what I read and saw, he had quite a bit more polish than your typical HS starter. That turned out to be inaccurate, so my initial assessment was wrong. 

Going forward, I don't know, it seems like if he were going to develop a proper third offering, he would've done it already. I think he'll be a solid, durable middle reliever at the major league level.

Edited by Second Base