• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

One more piece priority

If we can only bring in one more significant player  

34 members have voted

1. 1. We have a little over $12m in luxury cap space before going over, which we may be reluctant to do. *If* we can only bring in $12m more, what is the highest priority?

• Another starter
    • One or two relievers
    • A shortstop
    • A fourth outfielder
    • Trade for one of these options
    • More than one of these options on the cheap (expand in comments)

I chose starter, and the reason why is because multiple relief pitchers would fall into a price index where they really aren't that effective, aside from Chafin. But another starting pitcher, allows the Angels to use guys like Barria, Suarez, Rodriguez, Canning, etc... In bullpen roles. 

It helps the rotation and and bullpen. 

I chose “more than one of these options on the cheap.”

A 4th OF should only cost a couple million, so at minimum, I think you’d be able to pair a 4th OF with another starter or reliever.

I think I’d sign a high leverage reliever for $6M-8M and a 4th outfielder for $2M-$3M.

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I chose “more than one of these options on the cheap.”

A 4th OF should only cost a couple million, so at minimum, I think you’d be able to pair a 4th OF with another starter or reliever.

I think I’d sign a high leverage reliever for $6M-8M and a 4th outfielder for $2M-$3M.

I don't hate it, but I'm skeptical you could get a decent starter for that little and I'd probably rather have a starter and a 4th OF. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I chose starter, and the reason why is because multiple relief pitchers would fall into a price index where they really aren't that effective, aside from Chafin. But another starting pitcher, allows the Angels to use guys like Barria, Suarez, Rodriguez, Canning, etc... In bullpen roles. 

It helps the rotation and and bullpen. 

My thoughts exactly. I think a Wacha or Cueto at $9-10 mil is more effective than two $4.5 mil relievers. 

So if we are indeed playing the LT game, we probably only effectively have around 7mil or so to spend, not 12mil.

The reason for this is several reasons:

1.  The Fangraphs estimate is for 33 players on the roster.  This assumes we have various guys injured, enough to add up to 7 full seasons worth of players.  We have exceeded this multiple times in the recent past, so I think we'd want to create a little more wiggle room.

2.  If we are competitive, we probably want to save some salary for the trade deadline.  Probably up to 5mil or so of space.

So assuming we have around 7mil left, that probably would be another reliever, as I don't think we can find a decent start at that price.

38 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

So if we are indeed playing the LT game, we probably only effectively have around 7mil or so to spend, not 12mil.

The reason for this is several reasons:

1.  The Fangraphs estimate is for 33 players on the roster.  This assumes we have various guys injured, enough to add up to 7 full seasons worth of players.  We have exceeded this multiple times in the recent past, so I think we'd want to create a little more wiggle room.

2.  If we are competitive, we probably want to save some salary for the trade deadline.  Probably up to 5mil or so of space.

So assuming we have around 7mil left, that probably would be another reliever, as I don't think we can find a decent start at that price.

I'm less concerned about the trade deadline. At that point, it's likely no longer in Arte's control and new ownership can decide if they want to go over. Before that point is where I suspect they'll be reluctant to cross it until they get explicit approval.