• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Which Angel player should have been better?

On 1/1/2023 at 5:24 PM, TempeAngel said:

What did happen to Kotchman? Was it injury? Inability to hit MLB breaking balls?

You're right, I thought he was going to be our 1B for a decade.

Didn’t he get Valley Fever??? That will wreck your body and you never really shake it.

Devon White. He looked like a star player after his rookie season. Great defense, lots of power (24HR), speed (32 sb), then kind of faded for a few years and was traded to Toronto.

He immediately became a very good player (~18WAR player over the next 3 seasons) and won 2 rings. He won another ring with the Marlins later.

Very good career but most of it was after the trade.

4 hours ago, TBM-850 said:

Devon White. He looked like a star player after his rookie season. Great defense, lots of power (24HR), speed (32 sb), then kind of faded for a few years and was traded to Toronto.

He immediately became a very good player (~18WAR player over the next 3 seasons) and won 2 rings. He won another ring with the Marlins later.

If you want to feel old, Devon White turned 60 last week. 

15 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

What about Erstad here?

Exactly what I was thinking - the first name that came to mind. He put up a 108 OPS+ his first five seasons, capped by his massive breakout year at age 26. Then he never had another even 100 OPS+ season and was at 82 for the remainder of his career. 

15 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

What about Erstad here?

He's my number 1 choice for guys who should have been better.  Through age 24 he looked like a guy who was going to live up to his draft status but from age 27 on.. Oof...

Heaney/Skaggs, Jeppy, on talent.  Michael Colangelo and Jason Dickson due to mismanagement -- Jo Adell is on his way to joining them but for a different type of mismanagement.  

The guys with fragile bodies are plentiful but what can you do.

On 1/1/2023 at 4:16 PM, Revad said:

Ouch.   It I’ll go with Second Base on Kotchman.  Rick Reichardt?

Reichardt lost a kidney his rookie season. Never was the same player afterwards. 

For me I think it's Wally Joyner. His rookie season almost won him the Rookie of the Year hitting 22 home runs. His second season was even better with an .894 OPS and 34 home runs.

Then... He just sort of faded away from any power numbers and hit well for average with a good on base percentage but the first two years teased a much better player than what he settled into. A good, solid player but not really an All Star. 

On 1/1/2023 at 2:47 PM, Second Base said:

I'm not talking about busted prospects necessarily, I'm talking about major leaguers that never really developed. I know of a couple, but I thought you guys might be able to help me identify more.

To me, the one guy I thought really should've been better was Casey Kotchman. Big, athletic first baseman, drafted in the first round, son of Tom Kotchman, longtime Angels coach and scout. Just look at what he did in the minors.

.390 OBP as a 19 year old in A Ball, with more walks than strikeouts. If any of us saw a first rounder doing that today, we'd collectively lose our shit, and the hype machine would lose control. 

As a 21 year old, Kotch hit .368 in AA and .372 in AAA. No, that wasn't his OBP. That was the dude's batting average. That's insane! Again, a big strong athletic first round pick just demolishing every level of the minor leagues. 

Casey Kotchman should have developed into one of the best 1B in baseball. He had an ok career, logging a few seasons as a starter for the Angels, Braves and Rays, but he just never came anywhere close to where many thought he would end up. 

Anyone else you guys can think of?

Kotch was never the same after his collision. He was just beginning to break out, but then he had that and was traded shortly thereafter for Teixiera.

Also, he's almost 40. That blows my mind.

27 minutes ago, VladdyforHOF said:

I'm actually surprised no one has said Justin Upton yet. Lol. Another guy huge contract guy that never had a big moment with this team.

I think most players would kill for the career Upton has had. I remember people being bitteely disappointed when we comp'd Jo Adell to Upton, which was never a good one in the first place. 

But now I think everyone here would agree, if Jo Adell turns in J-Up, that would be a huge victory for him and the Angels. 

1 hour ago, VladdyforHOF said:

Anthony Rendon. Does anyone get excited that something big might happen when he steps into the box? He doesn't give me that MVP hitter scare at all.

If there’s runners on base and the game is on the line, I might take a healthy Anthony Rendon over Trout or Ohtani.

Edited by Trendon

On 1/3/2023 at 1:08 AM, TBM-850 said:

Was gonna mention him too. Tools wise he was amazing. 

31 minutes ago, Adam said:

Wally Joyner didn’t get better. That was surprising 

His first two seasons were juiced ball years.  Its likely he was never as good as he looked at the time.  He had not really hit for power as a minor leaguer.  The rest of his game played out pretty much the same the rest of his career.