• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rob Manfred: The Angels are hoping to be sold before Opening Day

mmc

I keep circling back to how this is really, by far, our greatest source of optimism.

If you look at the Dodgers and Mets - both organizations were being run by laughable owners.  McCourt was struggling so badly with cash flow that his players openly questioned whether their paychecks would bounce.  That team had basically no talent in both the MLB and minors.  The Wilpons ran the Mets incredibly poorly and did not invest in the team.  Once the new ownership groups took over, both teams saw an enormous cash infusion, such that everything turned around for them very quickly.

Our organization, IMO, is in much better shape than both of those organizations were when the new ownership group took over.  Whoever takes over the Angels can, very quickly, commit to Ohtani long-term, then start to spend significantly on both FA talent and player development by the next offseason.

I know everyone wants to see the money invested into free agency now, but even if that doesn't occur, our new ownership group should (hopefully) start spending by next offseason.

14 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I keep circling back to how this is really, by far, our greatest source of optimism.

Even if the new owner doesn’t follow the Mets/Dodgers model and spend a ton of money right away, I still have hope they’ll be a better owner because Arte wouldn’t invest in infrastructure.

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Guys like this and the Dodgers former owner is what worries me about this whole thing.  The Marlins sale was only 4 years ago

It's a very real concern.  We can only hope we get a version of the Guggenheims / Cohen to take over.  If the Warriors ownership group takes over though, I think they would spend significantly to invest in the team.  But they're only one of the rumored groups .. 

10 hours ago, Stradling said:

Well I know a way the Marlins owner can be a billionaire.  Sell the Marlins. 

Which would mean his net worth is far greater than $500m (unless he has debt on the team equal to what it would sell for, and I doubt that).

So it is likely the tweet is based on false information.

This is really one of the most intriguing time windows in the history of my interest in the team which goes back to the 70s.

The next owner or ownership group can result in such a wide range of overall outcomes on what this team will look like going forward.

At the core of being a fan is hope for good things for the team you follow.

I have a massive spike in my hope for what is possible with a new owner that has more resources, more operational and strategic competency, and maybe just higher aspirations for greatness on the field.

Even the stadium issue.  I can’t help but be hopeful that the next owner is an aggressive beast in building something amazing.

And no, I have no fear that the team moves.  I just can’t see it.  I don’t think even a sweetheart stadium deal somewhere outside of Southern California can overcome the foundational advantages of being an entrenched Southern California team, so I don’t think there really is any chance of the team moving away.

And I think we have to be close to knowing who the buyer is.

I remember how exciting it was in 1979 to be playoff bound!  It was new optimism and energy pumping through me.

I have some of that “new” thrilling energy going on, excited for what could be coming.

Edited by Dtwncbad

39 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

This is really one of the most intriguing time windows in the history of my interest in the team which goes back to the 70s.

The next owner or ownership group can result in such a wide range of overall outcomes on what this team will look like going forward.

At the core of being a fan is hope for good things for the team you follow.

I have a massive spike in my hope for what is possible with a new owner that has more resources, more operational and strategic competency, and maybe just higher aspirations for greatness on the field.

Even the stadium issue.  I can’t help but be hopeful that the next owner is an aggressive beast in building something amazing.

And no, I have no fear that the team moves.  I just can’t see it.  I don’t think even a sweetheart stadium deal somewhere outside of Southern California can overcome the foundational advantages of being an entrenched Southern California team, so I don’t think there really is any chance of the team moving away.

And I think we have to be close to knowing who the buyer is.

I remember how exciting it was in 1979 to be playoff bound!  It was new optimism and energy pumping through me.

I have some of that “new” thrilling energy going on, excited for what could be coming.

Been a fan for three decades, going back to the 90's. I've seen all three ownership groups, with the Autry's, Disney, and then Arte Moreno.

Disney wants the stadium land. I guarantee this. The easiest way to acquire it is to buy the team and relocate them or build a new stadium on the corner of the lot.

Joe Lacob wants a West Coast Baseball Team and He's likely in.

Steve Ballmer is one of the richest men in the world.

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Been a fan for three decades, going back to the 90's. I've seen all three ownership groups, with the Autry's, Disney, and then Arte Moreno.

Disney wants the stadium land. I guarantee this. The easiest way to acquire it is to buy the team and relocate them or build a new stadium on the corner of the lot.

Joe Lacob wants a West Coast Baseball Team and He's likely in.

Steve Ballmer is one of the richest men in the world.

I do think, though, Ballmer has publicly said he is not interested.  I would be surprised to see that change.

I would like Lacob.  Their group spent a lot to maximize the Warriors' championship window.  I think he would spend significantly to help this team, too.  Maybe not to Cohen-esque levels, but certainly above what we are seeing now, which would be most appreciated as a fan.

I am hopeful.  This sale will set the tone for us as fans for many, many years.  Again, just look at the Dodgers.  If somehow the McCourts stayed as owners, they would have been a laughingstock of a franchise for the last 10+ years.  Instead, they are a juggernaut and model franchise now.  That ownership change made a 180 degree difference in their future.  Let's hope this works out for us...