• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Carlos Estevez (2 years, $13.5 million)

mmc

Just now, Angels 1961 said:

BIG SPLASH still coming as Arte walks out the door

Lets hope so.  I was in the camp of people saying Perry would get another $20M to spend.  Now $14M left after the Estevez signing.

Possibility is that the Angels will blow past the $20M upside guys were hoping for but some were skeptical we would get.

Just now, totdprods said:

Fwiw, the lionintexas dude on Twitter also called out Estevez and Angels pretty specifically a few days back, and today said they were prioritizing bullpen above all else and we’re getting their guy this week. 

A lot of what they’ve said is pretty safe for predictions but it hasn’t been terribly inaccurate.

Trust the Lion! 

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Sorry, help me understand this: why hasn't he pitched better away from Coors, then?  Is the theory that pitching half his games at Coors leads to overall bad habits, etc. that impact his performance even away from Coors?

Again, not trying to shit on the signing.  Just trying to see what others do that are hyping him. 

2 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Lets hope so.  I was in the camp of people saying Perry would get another $20M to spend.  Now $14M left after the Estevez signing.

Possibility is that the Angels will blow past the $20M upside guys were hoping for but some were skeptical we would get.

If they go over lux tax would not be much. Arte wants to go out with bang

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

Sorry, help me understand this: why hasn't he pitched better away from Coors, then?  Is the theory that pitching half his games at Coors leads to overall bad habits, etc. that impact his performance even away from Coors?

Again, not trying to shit on the signing.  Just trying to see what others do that are hyping him. 

I think the assumption is that there is more to unlock. Rockies staff is, um...not the league's best.

Also, note this:

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

His K/BB rate last year away from Coors was rather good, and his FIP/xFIP were solid.  I do think, though, that it is probably somewhat difficult for a pitcher to go back and forth between Coors and road games, such that your pitches get altered back and forth.  Basically - I think it is probably (?) difficult for pitchers to get a good rhyhtm going, when their pitches move a bit different half the time?  Maybe some are better at adjusting to that effect than others?  Just some ideas.

So after this move, I would say we likely have 6 guaranteed relievers on the roster:  Estevez, Herget, Loup, Tepera, Quijada, Barria.  That leaves 2-3 spots open for the rest.  Davidson would be another, although he could either be DFA'd or somehow work his way into the rotation.  

I think that this should largely be good enough in terms of the pen.  The last two spots can go to whoever is pitching the best in spring and throughout the year.  I think we have enough options in place.

4 minutes ago, Revad said:

What I like about this signing too is that he isn't an actual "closer."  I like the idea of keeping the 9th inning open to whomever, so we can potentially rotate guys as needed.  I like the idea of saving your best relievers for the most difficult hitters, whether that's in the 7th or 9th inning.

• mmc changed the title to Angels sign Carlos Estevez (2 years, $13.5 million)
38 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

For simplicity sake, his WHIP is over 1.54 at Coors and down to 1.26 away in almost same number of innings (around 150 each).

He has almost twice as many walks at home - 75 to 43 - and over a hit allowed per inning at home. His strikeout rate is a teensy bit higher away. The hits and walks drop significantly.

To me though, the numbers indicate that either some of his pitches flatten out in the altitude or he loses control and has to really battle to get guys out at times. But that doesn’t seem to be the case away. Get him away from at environ where he’s really struggling and able to get into a groove and he could go a step further.

Even if he fails to do that, he should be an effective set-up guy.

Edited by totdprods