• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Carlos Estevez (2 years, $13.5 million)

mmc

10 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

HIs swing and miss rates are a little curious with how hard he throws.  With how much relievers are getting, this isn't too crazy. 

I think this is largely an upside play.  13.5mil for a "gamble" of sorts.  Estevez, conceivably, should have better results than he does.  This is a reasonable commitment for someone who has pretty decent numbers that should likely be better given the stuff he has.

Even if he doesn't improve much though, he's still an upgrade over the current depth relievers we have, so as we have said - continue to improve the floor, which this move should help do.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think this is largely an upside play.  13.5mil for a "gamble" of sorts.  Estevez, conceivably, should have better results than he does.  This is a reasonable commitment for someone who has pretty decent numbers that should likely be better given the stuff he has.

Even if he doesn't improve much though, he's still an upgrade over the current depth relievers we have, so as we have said - continue to improve the floor, which this move should help do.

It's so hard to project relievers because they pitch fewer innings and a few bad outings really messes up their stats.  His stuff is great but his swing and miss rates for a person who's value is on his stuff is a cause for concern.  I agree with you that this is an upside play, but like Tepara and Loup, it wouldn't surprise me if the signing doesn't work out.  There are reasons to like this, mainly the upside and his stuff.  I do like that Perry addressed the bullpen.  I would like to see one more bullpen arm brought in. 

8 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Not really a relevant stat for a guy who has only intermittently been a closer. 

actually it is, he had 11 saves in his Rookie season of 2016 as a RH Tandem with Jake McGee and again in  2021 in a Tandem with Bard.... So, yeah, depends he has closing experience. However, he hasn't done it across a full season and that is what we need. 

IF they are going committee at which point eventually not having designed roles within the Bullpen will turn them all and burn them.... See last season with Tepara and Loup.

2 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

actually it is, he had 11 saves in his Rookie season of 2016 as a RH Tandem with Jake McGee and again in  2021 in a Tandem with Bard.... So, yeah, depends he has closing experience. However, he hasn't done it across a full season and that is what we need. 

Again, that's not much closing experience to be looking at blown save % by home/away. Sample size is very low. 

2 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

actually, he had 11 saves in his Rookie season of 2016 as a RH Tandem with Jake McGee and again in  2021 in a Tandem with Bard.... So, yeah, depends he has closing experience. However, he hasn't done it across a full season and that is what we need.

Mm, we may not really need that.  I think it's useful to have an open approach to the final innings of a game.  So for example, if the best hitters come up in the 8th, why not have your best reliever pitch then instead of the 9th?  Or, if your matchups indicate that certain hitters have weaknesses against one of your pitcher's repertoire, why not use that pitcher in that moment and shift your bullpen around accordingly?

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Again, that's not much closing experience to be looking at blown save % by home/away. Sample size is very low. 

again.... 5/10 chances at home... You could say field played into it as well and how many innings were the save chances?

on the Road he would need to be around 75-80% for it to equate.

you do you jsnpritchett... I'm knowledgeable and understanding in the role. 

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Mm, we may not really need that.  I think it's useful to have an open approach to the final innings of a game.  So for example, if the best hitters come up in the 8th, why not have your best reliever pitch then instead of the 9th?  Or, if your matchups indicate that certain hitters have weaknesses against one of your pitcher's repertoire, why not use that pitcher in that moment and shift your bullpen around accordingly?

And that is how you wear down your bullpen. historically speaking from Sven with numerous examples! To Madden last year Tepera and Loup.... to Dave Roberts.

9 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

again.... 5/10 chances at home... You could say field played into it as well and how many innings were the save chances?

on the Road he would need to be around 75-80% for it to equate.

you do you jsnpritchett... I'm knowledgeable and understanding in the role. 

Based on the comments you're making, it doesn't seem like it.  You absolutely cannot draw any solid conclusions from the sample size here. 

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Based on the comments you're making, it doesn't seem like it.  You absolutely cannot draw any solid conclusions from the sample size here. 

Actually, there are plenty of conclusions based solely on Role and our Philosophy and bullpen usage from last year. Based on the Management at the time and sequencing. Well before we add in experience, and or repertoire, hitters etc..