• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Winter Meeting Predictions

Fullmer17

33 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I hope Minasian doesn't sign Swanson and leave the Angels committed to a defense only shortstop that has no value moving to any other position.

They had that with Simmons for years.

As long as Swanson continues to play plus defense and hit near league average, he’d provide plenty of value.

5 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

My point is that Simmons was not a Defense only player.  He was not a black hole in the line up, unlike the player at 1B.

Simmons in his second to last season with the Angels only played 103 games and had a 78 OPS+. Walsh played to a 81 OPS+ this season. 

1 minute ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Verlander: Mets/Dodgers

Judge: Yanks

Rodon: Sf

Turner: Philly

Bogarts: Angels

Swanson: Braves

Correa: Dodgers

Senga: Dodger

Conteres: Astros

Bell:Padres

Trey: Guardians

Nimmo: Mets

Benitendi: Blue Jays

Evoldidi: Angels/O's

Heaney: Mets

Tailion: Rangers

Syndargaard: Rangers

Congrats to Justin Verlander and Nate Eovaldi for signing contracts with two separate teams in the same offseason.  Spectacular agents, IMO. 😉 

9 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

My prediction is simple. 

This week will be the time we get to see how the Angels plan to attack Ohtani and Arte's last season. 

If they sign a top SS or trade for one then then they are going for it. 

If the sign a mediocre SS then Ohtani is out. 

There’s no deadline to acquire a SS this week.

This week is irrelevant if, for example, the Angels sign Carlos Correa in January.

Edited by Trendon

3 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Very true.

I think at least we will have implication on their plans. Maybe Morosi or someone confirms they are in on these guys and being aggressive. 

You’re point in general, that the type of SS they get gives us an idea of how they’re attacking the 2023 season, is accurate.

But unless all the SS options come off the board or they make a move at SS this week, this week won’t provide much indication of their plans.

I read Dodgers may not be in on any high-priced free agents. Suppose to be at like 190 something with Kershaw signing. Lot depends on Bauer arbitration. They want to stay under so not to be 3-time offender. May wait till after 2023 and 2024 to spend. Any of needs will use by trading for players using their strong minor prospects. I do not understand fully the lux tax repeat offenders and penalties. Anyone has information on this.

17 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I do not understand fully the lux tax repeat offenders and penalties. Anyone has information on this.

A club that exceeds the Competitive Balance Tax threshold is subject to an increasing tax rate depending on how many consecutive years it has done so.

First year: 20 percent tax on all overages

Second consecutive year: 30 percent

Third consecutive year or more: 50 percent

If a club dips below the luxury tax threshold for a season, the penalty level is reset. So, a club that exceeds the threshold for two straight seasons but then drops below that level would be back at 20 percent the next time it exceeds the threshold.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/competitive-balance-tax

32 minutes ago, Trendon said:

A club that exceeds the Competitive Balance Tax threshold is subject to an increasing tax rate depending on how many consecutive years it has done so.

First year: 20 percent tax on all overages

Second consecutive year: 30 percent

Third consecutive year or more: 50 percent

If a club dips below the luxury tax threshold for a season, the penalty level is reset. So, a club that exceeds the threshold for two straight seasons but then drops below that level would be back at 20 percent the next time it exceeds the threshold.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/competitive-balance-tax

Yep and Arte goes ham and signs a SS, and they spend their way to competition, then the new owner will be a repeat offender for probably their first three years, which would be four in total.  The only way to avoid that would be to let Ohtani walk or trade him.