• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

3 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Roberts specifically said Betts is going to get time at 2B.  It ultimately might not end up happening, but he said it.  And for what it's worth, he was a 2B originally, before switching to OF in AA/AAA.

EDIT: I could also see the Dodgers bringing in Profar.

Crazy that Profar and Andrus are still out there. 

3 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Roberts specifically said Betts is going to get time at 2B.  It ultimately might not end up happening, but he said it.  And for what it's worth, he was a 2B originally, before switching to OF in AA/AAA.

EDIT: I could also see the Dodgers bringing in Profar.

My wife tore her meniscus at work back in May. She is finally getting surgery to get it repaired on the 10th. They still haven't gotten around to her other knee that was damaged a year ago August. Or her back and wrists. 

MLB Union >>>>> Teacher's Union

On 2/20/2023 at 6:08 PM, totdprods said:

I feel good about Fletcher, Rengifo, and Velazquez holding down SS. Neto could force the issue too.

I think Urshela, Rendon, Walsh, and Drury staying healthy and productive across the other three spots is a much bigger question mark, tbh.

I believe Soto is above Velazquez and Neto...

On 2/23/2023 at 9:35 AM, Angel Oracle said:

Phillips is 6.5 years younger than Calhoun, has hit 18 HRs in past 517 PAs back to 2021, and has solid base running skills (21 for 24 SBs since 2021).

if Ward’s hitting tutor did improve Phillips’ hitting, then he’s a much better alternative to the mid 30s Calhoun.

The thing about Phillips is his value as a 4th OF'er has increased due to his ability to run/steal a base (he was always good defensively at 3 spots). With the new rule change that a pitcher can only throw over 2x. That allows your base running speed and your ability to go from 1st to 3rd and if a ball reaches the gap to even score from 1st. Base Running Speed you will also need in the later stages of the game. There will also need to be some more Managing aspect of it now. Which the analytics of that took it away. Fly outs and launch angle changed it, the game became all about the Home Run and less about base runner movement. Don't get me wrong those are important in scouting of players to see development of future power potential. 

Stolen bases have been pretty much gone for the most part the last 5-10 years. Some teams still use the Stolen Base and have runners that can steal bases but its pretty much a lost stat, art and less taught part of the game. Most teams became dependent on deep counts producing base runners and 3 run home runs. It's easier to teach swing angle and how to lift. Than than it is base running intricacies (you just don't run to run) and even less have green lights anymore. 

We use to use productive outs, opposite field hitting, hitting and running, bunt and runs, sacrifice bunts to get runners around then as more analytics came into the game the philosophies changed along the way (It became more about NOT giving outs away and more about getting deeper in the count to get base runners on and in better hitting counts. Than moving the one or two around to get them into scoring position). Where you may have a big inning and less about clawing for the 2-1's, 3-2's, 4-3's bullpen games. Its become more about player attributes and the less developed talent within organizations or bottom part of the rosters AAAA players same reason they are going from 5 to 6 man rotations Those TOR arms are less existent and now your 4-5-6 guys are more inflex than previous which includes your last 2-3 spots in your bullpen that's (5-6 arms on your pitching staff that are either injured, less talented, or young). Same can be said for catching values we've gone to more defense framing, blocking, CERA and less about throwing which is your main defense against a stolen base. Other than a pitching staff that can hold runners (which the new rule changes that and removes it **Hope it doesn't bring more Pitchouts** Boring.  The new rule also means you need to get ahead in the count early and pound the zone more which is good. Which will also bring more offense unless you can throw it by people. Or, have pitchers with slide steps, or hold runners better.

It's a more blended of Rules, Analytics, Athletic Ability and Roster Management It's all relevant~ Which brings the "Old Game Management" with the "New Analytics & Roster Management".

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

Really? Velazquez brings more value now. Neto is much more valuable going forward. Soto is just...there.

I'm just going off his ability to hit, get on base and play short stop at an above level. I understand that Velazquez is the superb fielder his hitting and ability to get on base was atrocious. Neto is young and has a few years of development to go.   

I also understand Soto's small sample size. But, he was also making in game hitting adjustments even during the middle of at bats. He's a good ball player. Don't sleep on him!

44 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I'm just going off his ability to hit, get on base and play short stop at an above level. I understand that Velazquez is the superb fielder his hitting and ability to get on base was atrocious. Neto is young and has a few years of development to go.   

I also understand Soto's small sample size. But, he was also making in game hitting adjustments even during the middle of at bats. He's a good ball player. Don't sleep on him!

Soto hit a .500 BABIP in his short stint last year. That can pretty much be ignored. He's also the same age as Neto, fwiw, who you think is several years away and has higher upside.

Velazquez, despite a 50 wRC+ and 53 OPS+ in 349 PA still put up a 0.3 fWAR and 1.4 bWAR, largely due to his 11 DRS. His floor is still a slightly above replacement level player. Assuming everyone doesn't get injured again, his defense will be more valuable than whatever Soto brings to the table.

Neto has been projected to be ready potentially as soon as next season (he's already 22, next year is his age 23 season, so he's not exactly being rushed). He might take a few years, but that's taking an extremely pessimistic point of view.

1 hour ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Agree, except that Neto showed in 2022 that he is advanced for his age (21 that season).   I can see him taking over SS by no later than early-mid 2024.

39 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Soto hit a .500 BABIP in his short stint last year. That can pretty much be ignored. He's also the same age as Neto, fwiw, who you think is several years away and has higher upside.

Velazquez, despite a 50 wRC+ and 53 OPS+ in 349 PA still put up a 0.3 fWAR and 1.4 bWAR, largely due to his 11 DRS. His floor is still a slightly above replacement level player. Assuming everyone doesn't get injured again, his defense will be more valuable than whatever Soto brings to the table.

Neto has been projected to be ready potentially as soon as next season (he's already 22, next year is his age 23 season, so he's not exactly being rushed). He might take a few years, but that's taking an extremely pessimistic point of view.

Neto went to AA and took Soto's Spot when he went to the Big Club... This is Soto's 6th season in Big League baseball.. Yeah, he and Neto may be the same age but the playing experience and time of growth goes to Soto.... For me~

14 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Agree, except that Neto showed in 2022 that he is advanced for his age (21 that season).   I can see him taking over SS by no later than early-mid 2024.

Neto played 30 games and 122 at bats in AA....? 7 in A+ 25 at bats...? Neto made 11 errors in those 30 games. Soto made 12 in those 119 at AA playing numerous positions..

On 2/28/2023 at 10:20 AM, PattyD22 said:

It was pretty gruesome for a non contact injury.

Looked more football like, than baseball.

I feel bad for any player that suffers a catastrophic injury in any sport, let alone Spring Training.  It’s the equivalent of getting hurt during Spring Drills in college football.

The Dodgers have Chris Turner to fill in which isn’t a bad situation to be in.

On 2/28/2023 at 10:23 AM, jsnpritchett said:

I think they'll probably go with Miguel Rojas as their primary SS, with Turner getting some time there and elsewhere.

I love Chris Turner

49 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Neto went to AA and took Soto's Spot when he went to the Big Club... This is Soto's 6th season in Big League baseball.. Yeah, he and Neto may be the same age but the playing experience and time of growth goes to Soto.... For me~

Let me know when Soto amounts to anything. As of now, he's got a long line ahead of him before he sees any serious playing time in the majors. Neto could be the starter as soon as next opening day. 

44 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Let me know when Soto amounts to anything. As of now, he's got a long line ahead of him before he sees any serious playing time in the majors. Neto could be the starter as soon as next opening day. 

I won't take the time of listing the enormous line of Angel players through the years that failed either by being rushed or who didn't have the mindset to play professional baseball. 

But, you know where I'm going!

Your telling me this kid "NETO" is going to be ready to play Major League Baseball in less than 160+/- games in the Minor Leagues? So, you can say he is another in the line of Generational Talent like Mike Trout who still took 5 seasons and 290 games to stay here.

So, by looking at Trouts # of games played in the minors we would be looking at 2025 call up for Neto and 2 seasons earlier than Trout.. And that would be based on health?. Got it!

29 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I won't take the time of listing the enormous line of Angel players through the years that failed either by being rushed or who didn't have the mindset to play professional baseball. 

Your telling me this kid "NETO" is going to be ready to play Major League Baseball in less than 160+/- games in the Minor Leagues? So, you can say he is another in the line of Generational Talent like Mike Trout who still took 5 seasons and 290 games to stay here.

So, by looking at Trouts # of games played in the minors we would be looking at 2025 call up for Neto and 2 seasons earlier than Trout.. And that would be based on health?. Got it!

Mike Trout was in the majors at 19. Neto is 22. 😂

Also, Neto played college ball. He's not inexperienced. And I'm not the one predicting it. People who know prospects a lot better than I do say he could be starting shortstop next season. You're the outlier saying he's several years away.

You're also the one jumping on the bandwagon for a dude with a .500 BABIP, so I'm not sure your opinion has much value...

31 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Trout was up to the majors in his third season. 

31 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

you're counting his injury rehab time as part of his minor league time.  2010 was his only full year in the minors

2 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

won't take the time of listing the enormous line of Angel players through the years that failed either by being rushed or who didn't have the mindset to play professional baseball. 

20 of the 41 players from the 2019 draft saw time in the majors in 2022.  Which is pretty much the timeline he's talking about.  

Detmers saw time in 2021 after 62 pro innings.  Is he  or those above generational players?

You also conveniently left out the difference between college and HS draftees.  

Neto is 22 and would be 23 if he got to the bigs next year.  Trout was a month shy of his 20th Bday.