• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

4 minutes ago, Trendon said:

To get better…

Even the biggest Luis Rengifo fan can’t deny that Correa is an upgrade over Rengifo at SS, offensively and defensively.

I hear you, but again, if two wealthy organizations expressed enough concern about signing him long-term .. I don't know, I wouldn't do it.  We already have Rendon breaking down.  We have baseball's only 400+ million dollar player in Trout, and will hopefully soon have baseball's only 500+ million dollar player in Ohtani.  A lot of financial risk tied up in the health of a few players.

I'd personally pass on Correa.  Add another SP and a solid reliever, and I think we're solid contenders.  

28 minutes ago, Second Base said:

He is, and is a 1-3 win improvement (we'll say two wins) that comes at a 30 million dollar price tag plus luxury tax. Now in my situation, where I feel they're an 85 win team, does spending 30 million more per year to make them an 87 win team make the most sense? 

If you look at last year’s standings, the difference between 85 wins and 87 wins is a playoff spot.

That’s worth more than $30 million, based on the urgency this franchise faces to make the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

If you look at last year’s standings, the difference between 85 wins and 87 wins is a playoff spot.

That’s worth more than $30 million, based on the urgency this franchise faces to make the playoffs.

HIs defense notably slipped last year, at least in terms of how he graded out.  Granted, defense is harder to measure than offense or pitching.  Still - are there concerns that he may already be declining defensively, and thus not the greatest investment if we are looking for someone to play SS for many years?

30 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I hear you, but again, if two wealthy organizations expressed enough concern about signing him long-term .. I don't know, I wouldn't do it.  We already have Rendon breaking down.  We have baseball's only 400+ million dollar player in Trout, and will hopefully soon have baseball's only 500+ million dollar player in Ohtani.  A lot of financial risk tied up in the health of a few players.

I view it differently. They’re already tied into Trout and Rendon, so why not triple down?

This is the position they’ve put themselves in, and I think they need to buy themselves out of it.

Look at what the Phillies did last season. They kept on spending and finally pushed past the luxury tax because their farm didn’t produce like they hoped it would and that was the avenue to win.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

HIs defense notably slipped last year, at least in terms of how he graded out.  Granted, defense is harder to measure than offense or pitching.  Still - are there concerns that he may already be declining defensively, and thus not the greatest investment if we are looking for someone to play SS for many years?

They need a SS in 2022. He’s the best one available.

That’s my biggest concern. If they need to move him to 3B as soon as next season, fine.

They have the money.

They need a SS in 2022. He’s the best one available.

That’s my biggest concern. If they need to move him to 3B as soon as next season, fine.

They have the money.

I doubt Arte would sign off on a 300 million contract in the midst of a sale.  The timeline just won't work out.  Maybe if we already had a buyer selected, then yes, but we don't.  I just can't see him approving a gigantic deal like that at this time.

6 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I doubt Arte would sign off on a 300 million contract in the midst of a sale.  The timeline just won't work out.  Maybe if we already had a buyer selected, then yes, but we don't.  I just can't see him approving a gigantic deal like that at this time.

He’s not the one who would be paying $300 million, regardless of who buys the team.

And it’s not like you’d be springing the signing on a new owner. Bidding doesn’t start till next month, and a hypothetical Correa deal would be done before then.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

He’s not the one who would be paying $300 million, regardless of who buys the team.

And it’s not like you’d be springing the signing on a new owner. Bidding doesn’t start till next month, and a hypothetical Correa deal would be done before then.

It just seems highly improbable.  I can't recall a single instance of an owner in the process of selling their team going out and making a huge signing right before they sell it to someone else.  Are there any examples of this ever occurring?  

Exactly. Like what would happen? The bidders will see Arte hand out a mega contract and they run away from owning one of the top valued teams in MLB? If anything it only sweetens the deal.

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Exactly. Like what would happen? The bidders will see Arte hand out a mega contract and they run away from owning one of the top valued teams in MLB? If anything it only sweetens the deal.

Are you sure?  A guy whose deal would have been canceled by two other franchise due to health risks would only help sweeten the value?  I mean really, how many players have seen their deal canceled by two separate franchises over health concerns?

I am guessing the new owner would prefer to make a decision when it comes to handing out a 300+ million dollar contract.  It is not a deal breaker, but likely that kind of deal will at least be a factor in the bidding.  It is not an insignificant liability in terms of the % value of the sale.

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

It just seems highly improbable.  I can't recall a single instance of an owner in the process of selling their team going out and making a huge signing right before they sell it to someone else.  Are there any examples of this ever occurring?  

The Royals, Mets, and Marlins all went through their sale processes mid-season, so they aren’t good references.

The Dodgers extended Matt Kemp to an 8/$160M deal during the offseason leading up to their sale.

The Marlins previous owner gave Stanton that mega contract extension and structured it knowing that he’d sell the team before Stanton was owed the bulk of the contract.

5 minutes ago, Trendon said:

The Royals, Mets, and Marlins all went through their sale processes mid-season, so they aren’t good references.

The Dodgers extended Matt Kemp to an 8/$160M deal during the offseason leading up to their sale.

The Marlins previous owner gave Stanton that mega contract extension and structured it knowing that he’d sell the team before Stanton was owed the bulk of the contract.

Okay, the Kemp deal is a good example.  I forgot about that.  I think he did that deal and apologized to the fan base at the same time, basically saying "sorry for destroying this franchise, here is a parting gift, goodbye."

I think for Angels fans, the equivalent from Arte wouldn't be signing Correa, but rather signing Ohtani to a mega deal.  I would much rather have that, to be honest.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Okay, the Kemp deal is a good example.  I forgot about that.  I think he did that deal and apologized to the fan base at the same time, basically saying "sorry for destroying this franchise, here is a parting gift, goodbye."

I think for Angels fans, the equivalent from Arte wouldn't be signing Correa, but rather signing Ohtani to a mega deal.  I would much rather have that, to be honest.

It shouldn’t be one or the other.

Get Correa now, and then Ohtani should be the first big spending move approved by new ownership.

27 minutes ago, Second Base said:

A new troll pops up every year. Piodeportes, incarcerated Bob, now Lion in Texas.... There's a few others I can't think of off the top of my head. But every year these guys come out of the woodwork. And every year, they're inaccurate and disappear as quickly as they appeared in the first place. 

he's probably not wrong.  It's just the lack of detail that makes it worthless.  It could have been a simple call to inquire if he's interesting in a short term or 1yr deal with a quick answer of no and the phone call was over.  Again, you caught wind of something earlier this year and were unaware of the details.  I don't think this guy is full of shit about his connections.  I just don't think his connections are high up enough to know enough detail to add actual meaning to anything.  This place would probably go insane if we heard about every phone call that Perry got or made and about who.