• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

8 hours ago, Rico said:

Yup.  Bunch of teams looking for a SS.

Which teams?  Cubs come to mind, but they seem to be the favorites to land Swanson.  Red Sox will probably just shift Story to SS.  Twins .. I'm not really sure, but I don't see them as a team who will push really hard for one.  The Dodgers may make a trade, or they could start Lux there.

I think that there might not be too many teams to compete with.  We'll see.

7 hours ago, ukyah said:

i really don't think they were ever swinging at any of them really. it just didn't make sense, especially when combined with the number of realistic suitors for those 4. i said before i think there's a trade coming that's going to sting a bit, but maybe that sting is too much for perry's tolerances and he goes elsewhere and rides with what he's got in house. it's not too crazy. the worst outcome is if they do what they did a couple years ago and get off to a really exciting start only to not really do anything else to really make the big jump in improvement.

Yeah.  Just our current situation, it didn't make much sense.  I know people keep saying Arte should do it on his way out, but it's hard to understand his incentive to do so.  To his credit, he has increased payroll for the upcoming year.  It is one thing though to add 40mil of payroll acquisitions this year (Anderson, Urshela, Renfroe, Estevez) and about 33mil of future payroll (Anderson and Estevez in years beyond this one), and another thing entirely to add 350mil of payroll.  It is not an insignificant difference, and it would likely impact his sales price (to some degree), as a future owner will likely consider that 350mil as future debt.

I do see more moves coming, but I would expect it to be very consistent with the types of moves we have seen - guys with 1 or 2 years of contract commitments.  Remember, Perry also just gave Nevin 1 year (almost every other GM would have found "their guy" and signed him to a 3+ year deal), and he also unloaded Iglesias at the trade deadline for basically nothing.  I am sure Arte knew by the trade deadline that he was going to sell the team.  If he intended to win at all costs, likely we would have just held onto Iglesias' contract.

I am hopeful with new ownership, that this team will spend significantly on both player acquisitions and player development, but unfortunately for us, I think we will have to wait until next offseason to see all of that transpire.

8 hours ago, m0nkey said:

Look forward to correa at dodger stadium for 13 years

From a sheer drama perspective, Correa signing with the Giants is absolutely perfect.  Correa is probably the most hated member of that 2017 Astros teams, and the Dodgers will have to see him many times for many years now.  That will be some fun drama to watch.

Every year around this time I hear "Here comes Santa Clause" by Gene Autry pop on the radio and every year I hope it's a sign that this team is about to be incredibly good. 
I'm hoping the Angels have something special up their sleeve. Some incredibly stacked teams that the Angels need to compete against. 

Here's to hoping the Angels do something incredible..... for once.

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Every year around this time I hear "Here comes Santa Clause" by Gene Autry pop on the radio and every year I hope it's a sign that this team is about to be incredibly good. 
I'm hoping the Angels have something special up their sleeve. Some incredibly stacked teams that the Angels need to compete against. 

Let me refer you back to my post regarding 100 pages of hype only to be disappointed

Deez Nuts GIF

30 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

We already got the greatest gift we could possibly get.  Arte is selling the team, and we can be hopeful our new owner will be similar to some of the other ownership groups that have recently taken over.  That is worth way more than any big name signing, because it likely means years of contending right ahead.

Arte wasn’t the worst owner, but his style of “big splash” and not spending money on player development has led to what we have now.

2 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I am surprised with how quiet Perry has been the last two weeks. He can’t be finished - this team is improved, but not enough. 

I doubt there are any more "big splashes" but I can see him adding to their depth. I'm Ok with that