• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

On This Day

10/15

Some wild stuff today.

First mass deportation of German Jews in 1941, "I Love Lucy" debuts in 1951, Charlotte's Web is first published in 1952, in 1964 the auto speed record was set, Black Panthers were created in 1966, Dolly Parton releases "Jolene" in 1973, Angels fans remember what happened in 1986, "Curd Your Enthusiasm" debuts in 2000, in 2017 Alyssa Milano sent a tweet with the words "...write 'me too'..." which started off the whole movement.

Nietzsche, Dominic West (The Wire), Ginuwine, all share this day as their birthday.

Yesterday, my mom passed away. She was 91.  She had been hospitalized for the last 15 days with dehydration, pneumonia, and congestive heart failure. My brother and I were by her side as she passed. She was being kept alive by an oxygen mask, and once hospice came in and started their work, which included removing the oxygen mask, she passed in about 20 minutes. We’re going through all the necessary “end of life” details with getting her cremated and closing out her finances, and then we have to pack up her apartment and take care of her belongings. 

My brother is here and my wife and I have taken bereavement leave for this week to take of all the necessary details. 

1 hour ago, Tank said:

Yesterday, my mom passed away. She was 91.  She had been hospitalized for the last 15 days with dehydration, pneumonia, and congestive heart failure. My brother and I were by her side as she passed. She was being kept alive by an oxygen mask, and once hospice came in and started their work, which included removing the oxygen mask, she passed in about 20 minutes. We’re going through all the necessary “end of life” details with getting her cremated and closing out her finances, and then we have to pack up her apartment and take care of her belongings. 

My brother is here and my wife and I have taken bereavement leave for this week to take of all the necessary details. 

Sorry for you loss, Tank.

2 hours ago, Tank said:

I'm so sorry for your loss, Tank. She was blessed to have her two sons there as she passed away.

18 hours ago, Tank said:

So sorry ❤️

On this day in history, Oct. 26, 1825, Erie Canal opens, transforming American infrastructure, commerce

The Erie Canal, a major achievement in transportation infrastructure that connected the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean and ignited American economic development, was completed on this day in history, Oct. 26, 1825.

"The Erie Canal played a major part in commerce in the history of the United States," reports the Library of Congress.

"Its creation helped to make New York City the chief port in the United States and opened the western part of the state and other western territories to increased settlement and trade."

On this day in history, Oct. 28, 1886, Statue of Liberty unveiled to the US

More than 1 million people attended the day’s celebrations on and off Bedloe’s Island — now known as Liberty Island — including then-president Grover Cleveland, according to the NPS.

Festivities involved the first-ever ticker-tape parade in honor of the statue of "Liberty Enlightening the World," the NPS also noted.

Firefighters, soldiers and veterans marched down Broadway to the sounds of 100 brass bands, cannons and sirens.

A fleet of 300 ships decorated in red formed a naval parade to Bedloe’s Island, as many vessels aimed to get a closer look through the fog and gloomy weather.

An illustration of the inauguration of Bartholdi's Statue of Liberty in New York. Original Publication: Illustrated London News.

An illustration of the inauguration of Bartholdi's Statue of Liberty in New York. Original Publication: Illustrated London News. (Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

On this day in history, Oct. 31, 1926, escape artist Harry Houdini shackled eternally by Grim Reaper

"As one of the outstanding personages of the American stage, [Houdini's] popularity lasted for a quarter-century," wrote the Los Angeles Times in its obituary of the performer, considered by many the greatest magician in history.

"Houdini counted among his audiences the royalty of Europe and Asia."

Harry Houdini's cause of death was peritonitis, caused by a ruptured appendix.

But questions continue to surround the bizarre circumstances of Houdini's death at age 52, including suggestions by some fans that the celebrated performer was murdered.

Houdini had just given a lecture at McGill University in Montreal and met with students after the appearance.

The muscular magician was known to boast that his stomach was so strong that he could withstand a blow from any man.

"One student, Joselyn Gordon Whitehead, asked if he could take a punch and immediately Houdini nodded an assent," wrote PBS News Hour in a 2019 online account of the escape artist's death.

"The student hit the great magician twice but before he had a chance to tighten his abdominal muscles and brace himself. The ‘hammer-like’ punches caused visible pain and Houdini stopped Whitehead in mid-blow on the third attempt to punch his gut."

The pain only worsened as Houdini endured a 15-hour train ride to Detroit.

He was soon diagnosed with acute appendicitis.

Yet he performed one more show before being rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery on Oct. 24.

It was too late. Houdini's appendix had already ruptured. 

He died a week later from the infection.

"Whitehead was not charged in the incident and lived out a solitary life in Montreal," reported the active fan site WildAboutHoudini.com. 

Medical research today indicates it’s exceedingly rare for blunt trauma to cause appendicitis. But in the 1920s, it was widely perceived that Whitehead's punches killed Houdini.

"The poor medical student probably went to his grave thinking he had deprived the world of the great Harry Houdini," wrote PBS.

The magician was born Erik Weisz in Budapest, Hungary, in 1874 and raised in Appleton, Wisconsin.

Hungarian-born American magician, escape artist and psychic debunker Harry Houdini (1874-1926) showed his handcuffs as he stood in a wooden box on a boat and prepared to be submerged, a predicament from which he would escape to the delight of onlookers, East River, July 7, 1912. 

On this day in history, Nov. 3, 1956, 'The Wizard of Oz' debuts on TV, elevates old film to American classic

"The Wizard of Oz," the Hollywood epic beloved by generations of Americans for its fantastical allegory rooted in love of heartland, home and family, appeared on television for the first time on this date in history, Nov. 3, 1956.

"For generations, this 1939 MGM fantasy musical has held a cherished place in American popular culture," reported the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History.

"With its dazzling special effects, costumes and sets rendered in vibrant Technicolor, ‘The Wizard of Oz’ represents one of the greatest achievements in movie magic."

Original Hollywood release did not make a profit but success on small screen made 'The Wizard of Oz' most beloved movie in American history

"The Wizard of Oz" only started to make money for MGM after it was re-released in theaters in 1949 and 1955.

Television, not the silver screen, made "Wizard" the pop-culture sensation it's known as today.

The debut 1956 broadcast on CBS attracted 35 million viewers, according to a 1967 report by Time magazine, which called the production "the most popular single film property in the history of U.S. television."

That was more viewers than any movie could ever reach in a single night.

there was an interesting urban legend about the wizard of oz. during one of the scenes, i think when dorothy first starts down the yellow brick road, one of the dwarfs hung himself from a tree in the background. i haven't ever seen it myself but i remember hearing people talk about it.

27 minutes ago, Tank said:

there was an interesting urban legend about the wizard of oz. during one of the scenes, i think when dorothy first starts down the yellow brick road, one of the dwarfs hung himself from a tree in the background. i haven't ever seen it myself but i remember hearing people talk about it.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hanging-munchkin/

• 2 weeks later...

On this day in history, Nov. 18, 1883, North American railroads create times zones, reshape global life

American and Canadian railroads enacted time zones — a concept that schedules all aspects of life today — on this day in history, Nov. 18, 1883. 

The rail industry's creation of time zones was a brazen attempt to bend time to its will. 

It brought sanity to a sprawling patchwork system of local timekeeping based on the ancient method of following the sun, the system used since human time began.

"Back in the early 1800s, the sun served as the official ‘clock’ in the U.S., and time was based on each city’s own solar noon, or the point when the sun is highest in the sky," Union Pacific railroad writes in its history of time zones. 

"This timekeeping method resulted in the creation of more than 300 local time zones across the country — not to mention disparity in local time depending on your location. So, for example, while it could be 12:09 p.m. in New York, it could also be 12:17 p.m. in Chicago."

The system that railroads pioneered did not become federal law until the passage of the Standard Time Act on March 19, 1918, amid World War I.

2 hours ago, Redondo said:

On this day in history, Nov. 18, 1883, North American railroads create times zones, reshape global life

American and Canadian railroads enacted time zones — a concept that schedules all aspects of life today — on this day in history, Nov. 18, 1883. 

The rail industry's creation of time zones was a brazen attempt to bend time to its will. 

It brought sanity to a sprawling patchwork system of local timekeeping based on the ancient method of following the sun, the system used since human time began.

"Back in the early 1800s, the sun served as the official ‘clock’ in the U.S., and time was based on each city’s own solar noon, or the point when the sun is highest in the sky," Union Pacific railroad writes in its history of time zones. 

"This timekeeping method resulted in the creation of more than 300 local time zones across the country — not to mention disparity in local time depending on your location. So, for example, while it could be 12:09 p.m. in New York, it could also be 12:17 p.m. in Chicago."

The system that railroads pioneered did not become federal law until the passage of the Standard Time Act on March 19, 1918, amid World War I.

we just studied this in 8th grade history, and it'll be on the test today.